main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

Wireless channel selection missing in expert mode?

SOLVED
View solved solution
Dr_J
3: Seeker

I appreciate you're trying to help here. Just realise not everyone has (1) an Android device hanging around on which they can install an app that exists outside of the Play ecosystem, nor (2) enough ready cash to buy a different access point/router.

Its not unreasonable to expect your home broadband router to work with common devices such as an Amazon firestick.

That's why we're irritated

View more options
mark_newbs
4: Newbie

Have you split bands, changed the 2.4 or the 5 Ghz ssid's to better identify which band the fire stick is using and then seen if the fire TV stick behaves?

View more options
Dr_J

The firestick can't use 5GHz channels above around 52. Its a known thing.
If left to its own devices the Voda router allocates a 5GHz channel the firestick can't use.

The easy fix is to manually allocate the channels. This is what this entire thread is about. It's great that so many folks chip in with different ways to fix the problem, but we've kinda been here before.

Solutions are:

1. Use an out of date Android app downloaded outside of the Google Play ecosystem to manually change the 5GHz channel.

2. Buy a different access point/router

3. Vodafone re-instate the "expert setting" on their own router

You can see which one would make the most sense to a consumer, shirley?

View more options
mark_newbs

4) are there any restrictions on the 2.4ghz bands?

View more options
_rik_

@Dr_J
 nor (2) enough ready cash to buy a different access point/router. 

You are absolutely right but in decades, I've never seen a decent ISP router. There is always something wrong. With a few quid you can solve forever and "una tantum" (until the day you buy FTTH).

The best way to go is not to use any ISP router. They are ALL rubbish and they will ever be. Hardware-wise they are all good but the sofware is ALWAYS ridiculous. I've been with BT, PS, TT and I can state Vodafone has the worst software EVER despite is the most advanced hardware. The best compromise is the router of TT, pretty useable. However nothing compare with a modem + custom router.

In my case I've not only solved the problem of wifi and many other things, I've also gained +6mbps on the line compared to the Vodafone router thanks to an ebay refurbished HG612 paired with a serious router on the WAN port.

With max 150 £ you can solve forever, and its really peace of mind... in fact, initially I've been on this forum with tons of problems, now I come here once in a while just to say hello! 😄

View more options
radumamy

There's no need to spend hundreds of pounds. If you take the BT Home Hub 5 Type A (or Plusnet Hub One), it's a very capable router (I paid £2.00 for mine :D), install OpenWrt 21.02 on it and you get WPA3 WiFi security out of the box and up-to-date packages. It works with its build in modem (VDSL), and you get Pro features for peanuts. 

View more options
Jayach
16: Advanced member

@manutdot78 wrote:

I tried this with the "Xperts" this morning and was advised that there is nothing you can do to enable the settings at my end or access them remotely. Furthermore they advised that the router is best placed to automatically figure out which channel to use, which gien my poor connectivity isnt really the case! They also advised that it was because I have other WIFI enabled devices (Arlo and and House alarm) which was causing my issues.

It's a basic feature that many laymans can implement themselves, yet it has been taken away. I will be leaving Vodafone at the earliest opportunity as it is unusable currently.

I believe Vodafone have the ability to set the channels to whatever you request, using TR-069(CWMP).

However getting someone who knows how to do it may be difficult.

View more options
_rik_

I don't think it's a viable solution because TR-069 is a reverse system compared to a standard user login. I mean it works in the opposite direction: it's the device that call the ACS, not a user that call the device. So, in order to have the TR-069 works on a custom ACS in our LAN, we should be able to change the ACS Url that is hard coded by vodafone into the router. That's more complicated  than hacking the software to change the wifi channel. Moreover, the Vodafone ACS could use authentication and surely device identification, and that should be mimicked locally (or hopefully bypassed simply returning OK to the device whatever it sends for authentication). Could also be possibile that the router is programmed to use https and to refuse custom certificates.

Trying that just to change a wifi channel it's a ridiculous waste of time! 😀 And at the first router firmare update it could stop working again.

When a company has the mentality set to serve limited routers so to limit the number of support staff, the expert user can only solve the problem ditching the limited router.

View more options
_rik_

@rudumamy wrote:There's no need to spend hundreds of pounds. If you take the BT Home Hub 5 Type A (or Plusnet Hub One),

It's a bit difficult for a standard user to do that unless he it's bought already modified, and it's not even close to the speed of an HG612 at 15£. I know because I've tested them on the same exact line with same provider and more than one time. All ISP modem-routers are slower of about  6 or 5 mbps compared to the HG612 even when the DSLAM is not Huawei. The Hub One is beated even by the ECI modem by at least 3mbps. So those angry of bytes are better served by a 15 pounds modem + custom router (even a 30 pounds TP Link).

View more options
Jayach

@_rik_ wrote:

I don't think it's a viable solution because TR-069 is a reverse system compared to a standard user login. I mean it works in the opposite direction: it's the device that call the ACS, not a user that call the device.

It's true that it is the router that has to call the ACS, but they can command the router to do it. Also anything they set should be in your config at their end so will be re-applied after a reset. (assuming I'm understanding it correctly)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TR-069

View more options
Socrates
2: Seeker

My reading of this is that Vodafone would rather have a bunch of unhappy users who can't nail down the channel number than a number of other users who can set their channels to an inappropriate channel with resulting poor wifi performance.

Unfortunately, the automatic channel selection is not perfect and can't cater for situations where the wifi needs to be delivered to a point or device where a knowledgeable user can select an appropriate channel but the automatic channel selection can't get it right. In my case I have a security camera outside that is inundated with all of the neighbour's wifi. However, the neighbour's wifi signal doesn't reach my router with enough strength for the router to make the right choice. A manual choice based on a wifi analyzer means I can pick a channel that works outside.

There are numerous threads on the Vodafone community about the same issue so there are a significant number of users who want to tweak their systems.

I have spoken to VF today and asked that this be treated as a complaint. If enough people make it a formal complaint then something might be changed.

View more options
Jayach

@Socrates wrote:

I have spoken to VF today and asked that this be treated as a complaint. If enough people make it a formal complaint then something might be changed.

Please do let us know what their answer to your complaint is.

View more options
michaelscar

I can see they have still not fixed the issue, unfortunately my router sometimes selects channel 8, which is useless in my property.   Turning it off and on, stays at 8, so have to factory reset the router.

Vodafone is the only company that I have seen that disables change channel number, even expert mode.

As Vodafone forum seems not to be working I recommend we email the ceo https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/vodafone-contact-uk-how-make-complaint-customer-s...  

ashmed.essam @ vodafone.com

The more people that do it, we might get somewhere.

View more options
michaelscar

No response yet from Vodafone CEO.  Also my router selecting channel six, so everything was staying for a couple of minutes and then getting disconnected.  

I decided not to reboot the router, and use there chat via the App, but got disconnected first time, because of the issue.  The second time, just kept been told the router selects the best, I kept saying why has it been on 6 for three hours and not realise everything is running slow and disconnect.  There solution is reboot the router and it will find the best.

I did, and yes it is working, but reminded them this is not a solution, as it changed itself to six which was useless in our house, and just got nowhere with them

But just kept been told it selects the best.   I asked them to start looking at the forums so you can see this is a big issue for lots of people.

Maybe if the routers select the best, we must all be lying.

Come on Vodafone, respect your customers and do something about this

View more options