cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Wireless channel selection missing in expert mode?

Adster
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello

I was having some issues with my modem/router THG-3000, so I did a factory reset. However, now there is no option to select the wireless channels in expert mode. I need to manually select my 5GHZ channel to achieve max speeds on my wireless.

Was this removed by a recent firmware update or is my router bugged?

Thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I found a solution to change the channel! While the issue still does exist (and hopefully they fix it soon) when trying to change the channel in Expert Mode, if you have Vodafone App you cna change the channel for your Wi-Fi through that. I hav the iOS version of the app, and in that, if I go to Wi-Fi, then Advanced Settings I cna change the channel in there. Hope this helps!

View solution in original position

206 REPLIES 206

I have just spoken with Vodafone tech support and they said the router is supposed to auto select the channel number

Unfortunately it has selected a channel where there are 3 other SSIDs all of similar strength - there are others which have other SSIDs but are much weaker, these are the ones I would like to choose but am now unable to do so

CrimsonLiar
16: Advanced member

The question is:  How strong are those SSIDs and are they interfering with your own WiFi?

I'm in a semi, and that neighbour has the only other router within 25m (large odd-shaped corner plot sharing a boundary with 10 other properties on a densely packed estate).  I've various devices that have very good WiFi range and right now the router can detect 22 other SSIDs on 2.4GHz and 14 other SSIDs on 5GHz.  There are multiple SSIDs on every channel, but because it comes down to signal strength, the only one my router really needs to avoid is my single direct neighbours - which it does just fine.

I'd worry that you may be trying to fix the wrong thing.  So rather than tell us how you are trying to fix things, why not tell us what the problem is!

Thanks for your reply 

Not really a problem, but I simply prefer to have full control over my setup

My preference is to select a channel where there is less chance of interference 

That and the fact that the router is less configurable than my previous one

Jayach

@Boglet 

Assuming you were on Vodafone and just took out a new contract, just what router did you have before?

The previous router was the HHG2500, but I though they removed the ability to select the channel from that as well.

You can still use the app to change the channel, but you need to get an old version. I won't link to one as the sites are un-official, but the Android version number is v4.1.0.

Thanks for the information and you are correct about the model number 

I set it all up some time ago and hadn't updated the firmware since (should have done, but when something is working I try not to change it unless I have a reason to)

I shall see about the older version of the app....thanks again 

Jayach

@Boglet wrote:

I have just spoken with Vodafone tech support and they said the router is supposed to auto select the channel number

It does, it's just not very good at it. 🤣

Yes, I figured that 

Asked them to request putting the feature back to allow user choice

I doubt they'll do it though 

I just found something else, I wanted to set a public dns, it allows me to input the ip for the dns,but when I click apply it resets to automatic 

I'll have to make sure it's set on my phone and computer 

Thanks again for your help

Jayach

@Boglet wrote:

I just found something else, I wanted to set a public dns, it allows me to input the ip for the dns,but when I click apply it resets to automatic 

I assume you now have the THG3000.

It should certainly be possible to set a custom DNS, It's what I do.

Jayach_0-1686511064149.png

It can sometimes seem to get a bit "confused" if you have been making various changes, so I suggest a factory reset and start again.

CrimsonLiar

*I believe there's currently an issue on some Broadcomm-based routers where changing more than one setting at a time will cause the router to reset after just changing the first setting, and then losing all the other settings made at the same time!

When I logged onto it this morning it seems the DNS change has now "stuck" - strange behaviour

I downloaded an older copy of the broadband app, but it would not install - I'm guessing it's incompatible with my version of Android