Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

"You have the right to leave us without paying an Early Termination Fee" Email

rmaclean3
4: Newbie

So on the 27th of April which is 2 1/2 weeks ago I was sent an email titled "Important Information about your broadband plan" which went on to say *We wanted to let you know that from your May bill onwards, you’ll notice an increase to the monthly cost of your broadband plan.

Your monthly cost will go up by 4.5%. This reflects the UK Consumer Price Index (CPI) at 0.6% (as published in January 2021), plus an additional 3.9% to cover the increasing costs of operating our network.

For example, if your current plan costs £23, your monthly cost would go up by £1.03.

We're continuing to invest more than ever in our network to ensure you have the best connection. Demand on our broadband network is the highest it’s ever been and our key priority remains the same: to keep you connected.

Because we’re making this change, and the minimum period for your broadband contract has ended, you have the right to leave us without paying an Early Termination Fee. However, there are options for you to avoid this price change.

To find out more about your options, please give us a call on 0808 005 7433.

Just to note, next year, the annual CPI price adjustment will be taking effect from your April 2022 bill.

Kind regards,
The Customer Care Team"

I've googled and not seen anything about it. I had a terrible start with Vodafone which culminated in a manic breakdown over chat a after so many let downs and mistakes coupled with personal issues. I requested all my conversation data and fit it alongside the voucher I was due. I started my 2 year long broadband package in October 28th 2020, so this letter was sent exactly 6 months into my 24 month contract. I find this unusual and wondered if anyone else received this? Also what would it entail if I did decide to pay ways? Would I have to return the Apple TV Box that came with it? Have I left it to late to switch? What about hidden charges or any problems I could run into. 

Here's the thing. The internet has been rock solid with only 2 downtimes I remember and the speed is consistent, calls are free anytime. Its just the customer service has been so poor in almost trying to be spiteful at the cost of potentially shooting myself in the foot. My Superfast 1 package is going up from £31 to £32ish (the 35mb one. My main annoyance was I stated the broadband was being set up on behalf of my mother who is incapable of using the internet and I have her name and details. Instead they put my name with her details and thus we have been unable to set up a direct debit (even though 3 different chat advisors, on 3 seperate occasions, said they could change the name no bother but never did. So I have 18 months of having to remember to manually input my mums 3 digit code on her bank card to pay the internet, and that's what's daunting me. 

What do you do? I've been sent a form but I don't see how it corrects my situation, and I'm worried that if I forget to make a payment it will go on my credit file. Or I was thinking of getting a Vodafone SIM do you thiink they will waive the increase if I do a deal. 

Sorry for the ramble, 

I'll phone them on the number when I can I'm just so busy and worn out, thought I'd get some opinions before even trying. 

Cheers. 

47 REPLIES 47

@Cynric wrote:

.@rmaclean3  This link may be helpful https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/vodafone-contact-how-make-complaint-customer-serv...

Thank you. Just an update for anyone who is following, account still showing the wrong amount and I'm only 3 days away from the payment due date. Pretty sure on the 24th was told it would be updated to be 31.42 by time the next bill came around. I can check as I've saved all chats for reference but it's still 32.39. 

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @rmaclean3 I'm sorry to hear to hear you've had such a poor experience, it's not what we what for any of our customers. If you'd like us to take a look into your account, make sure all your details are correct, check your bill and explain any charges you're disputing, pop us a private message through Facebook at Vodafone UK, or on Twitter using the handle @VodafoneUK and I'm sure we'll get everything straightened out for you.

Back again 😮💨 Been a while since this all went down, it's been a harsh couple of years that's all I'll say, but my mind is in a better place than back when I wrote this, cringe. Thank god I took screenshots and requested my chat transcripts otherwise I'd have no idea where I stand because I can barely recall anything I said or was told around this time.

Also whilst I had planned to, I never ended up putting in a formal complaint of any kind in the end. Once I got the package in my name I was completely spent mentally and truly couldn't put in any more energy towards a complaint that would likely go nowhere.

So I'm back because a couple of days ago I received this email:

"Your broadband plan is changing

Hello,

We wanted to let you know that we’re making a change to the cost of your broadband plan.

We understand that no one wants to see prices increase, but like many businesses we’re experiencing a significant rise in the cost of running our network and providing our services.

Your monthly cost will go up from your April bill. This increase is the UK Consumer Price Index (CPI) rate at 5.4% to support the rise in our running costs to keep up with increased demand and an additional 3.9% to continue essential investment in our network as we expand coverage. For example, if you were paying £20 a month, your monthly cost would increase by £1.86.

As you’re no longer in your minimum commitment period, you have the right to leave us without paying an Early Termination Fee.

While you’re free to leave, we’d really love you to stay. There are ways for you to avoid this year’s price change"

Why am I still being fed conflicting narratives? I honestly have never had such a poor experience with a company in my life. I'm in contract until late October later this year, but at the same time I'm apparently no longer in a commitment period? 9.3% total increase (5.4% + 3.9%) doesn't apply to broadband and calls packages taken out before February 2021, mine was taken out on the 8th of October and set up roughly 2-3 weeks later. Broadband packages taken out around this time should only be paying the 5.4% and not the 3.9%.

Last time my increase should have been 1.4% (can't understand where this figure came from as CPI was 0.6%. The 4.5% figure came from 0.6% + 3.9% so shouldn't it have been 0.6% increase? Suppose 1.4% increase last yearis correct, that would have meant my £31/mth would increase to £31.43. But instead it was put up to £32.39 which was the amount for packages taken out after Feb 2021 (4.5% in total). The resolution offered was that I would continue to pay the £32.39 (wrong amount) but be given a deduction on my next month's bill of the difference (96p) x 16 (the remaining amount of months on contract) so I would technically pay the correct amount. But now I can see that this will mean that even if I pay the 5.4%, I will be paying that on a higher total cost (£32.39 vs £31.43) meaning that my bill will increase by more than it should have if my increase was actually correct last year. So it will increase to £34.14 when it should be £33.13, correct? I was given £10 as a goodwill gesture extra at the time last year but that shouldn't come into the equation. 

All of which I still find weird anyway considering the package is a 'fixed' Superfast 1 Extra package. Here is something I found in the terms and conditions:

"Fixed Price Home Broadband Plans: Our Vodafone Broadband Extra and Vodafone Pro Xtra plans are exempt from price rises (including both RPI & CPI) in contract. We reserve the right to increase charges outside of your minimum committed period, as stated above."

So...am I being charged the price increases because Vodafone think I'm outside of my committed period as they have twice stated this year and last?

I need a good answer here, I really do. I think I will have to go down the complaint route at the moment, unless I can be shown good proof that I'm wrong.

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Welcome back.😀 Glad to hear you are in a better place.😀

I do think you should go down the complaint route, if only because hopefully you will be speaking to somebody with an IQ slightly about that of the average chicken.

In the meantime it will be important to get some facts. You believe you are in an "Extra" contract, which means there should be no price rises whilst in it. Actually finding the contract online seems impossible, mine still states:  "We couldn't find any documents for this account. This might be because we are still setting it up. If you continue seeing this message please contact us." despite me only having a couple of month left.

But if you look here: Upgrade or change plan (vodafone.co.uk) that will show your plan and if it is in contract.

Plan.jpg

If yours shows you are still in contract and have an "Extra" plan you can think about the next move.

But do get the complaint moving as the sooner you start the sooner you can get a resolution.

Yeah I clocked it earlier. Here it is.

Screenshot_20220318-214450_Samsung Internet.jpg

Jayach

I have to say I thought it was all "Extra" (now Xtra) contracts that had no price rises in contract, but maybe it was only Superfast 2 Extra. (It was Superfast 2 for the price of Superfast 1 when I joined)

At the bottom on the page with the Plan Details is an "Important Documents" tab, and that is where the contract should be, but as I say there is nothing there for me.

When you speak to the complaints people they should be able to confirm your contract details, and hopefully send you a copy. If they can't give you a satisfactory answer as to why you are being charged increases, then after 8 weeks, or before if Vodafone agree, you can take the complaint to CISAS, who if they find in your favour can award compensation. Complaints Code of Practice | Vodafone UK

The CPI increase is actually apparently 1.4% and not 0.6% so the email is really quite a strange one too. The figure of 0.6% pertains to January but price rises don't generally happen then, usually April/May. Am I wrong or is everything very confusing? That would mean the 3.9% + the CPI increase as stated in their price increase terms would be 5.3% (1.4% + 3.9%). However my account currently says £32.39 which is 4.5% more than £31 which fits with it being (0.6% + 3.9%).

Basically I don't need the stress at the moment over such small sums it was the principle in effect which drove this and the simple fact it was wrong and if everyone sat back and did nothing this would be the norm. So I'm just going to accept the 1.4% increase and switch the date of birth over to mine so I can pay the DD which avoids a transfer of ownership

This is hardly ideal, as I am planning on moving and trying to attain a mortgage soon and an extra DD could affect my mortgage affordability check but whatever it is what it is. b

@Jayach I currently have a Lebara SIM in tandem with an EE SIM. EE best at work, think Vodafone is best at home but its a ##~## up between them and O2. But I've found a way to get a Vodafone Red Entertainment SIM through a redemption deal for £12 or £14 via Affordable Mobiles (5gb/20gb). Then I can get £25 cashback via quidco and possibly a discount on the broadband with a smRed SIM attached. The process sounds like a hassle but I need a SIM with WiFi calling and the networks that piggyback never seem to offer it. Also I currently pay for 2 of the Entertainment options so the SIM would be really cheap if it all works out, need to check the terms. 

Thank's for the detailed reply that helped me a lot. I've still not found the time yet however my days off are not far off so I'll do it then and if I have to cancel then the extra month way off doing it sounds like the option I'd choose just to take the pressure off. I will leave if the charge is upheld as I did enter into a fixed term agreement and I can't stand when companies renage on their promises or don't deliver the intended agreement or level of service/quality promised. I will keep you's posted on the outcome.