Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

"You have the right to leave us without paying an Early Termination Fee" Email

rmaclean3
4: Newbie

So on the 27th of April which is 2 1/2 weeks ago I was sent an email titled "Important Information about your broadband plan" which went on to say *We wanted to let you know that from your May bill onwards, you’ll notice an increase to the monthly cost of your broadband plan.

Your monthly cost will go up by 4.5%. This reflects the UK Consumer Price Index (CPI) at 0.6% (as published in January 2021), plus an additional 3.9% to cover the increasing costs of operating our network.

For example, if your current plan costs £23, your monthly cost would go up by £1.03.

We're continuing to invest more than ever in our network to ensure you have the best connection. Demand on our broadband network is the highest it’s ever been and our key priority remains the same: to keep you connected.

Because we’re making this change, and the minimum period for your broadband contract has ended, you have the right to leave us without paying an Early Termination Fee. However, there are options for you to avoid this price change.

To find out more about your options, please give us a call on 0808 005 7433.

Just to note, next year, the annual CPI price adjustment will be taking effect from your April 2022 bill.

Kind regards,
The Customer Care Team"

I've googled and not seen anything about it. I had a terrible start with Vodafone which culminated in a manic breakdown over chat a after so many let downs and mistakes coupled with personal issues. I requested all my conversation data and fit it alongside the voucher I was due. I started my 2 year long broadband package in October 28th 2020, so this letter was sent exactly 6 months into my 24 month contract. I find this unusual and wondered if anyone else received this? Also what would it entail if I did decide to pay ways? Would I have to return the Apple TV Box that came with it? Have I left it to late to switch? What about hidden charges or any problems I could run into. 

Here's the thing. The internet has been rock solid with only 2 downtimes I remember and the speed is consistent, calls are free anytime. Its just the customer service has been so poor in almost trying to be spiteful at the cost of potentially shooting myself in the foot. My Superfast 1 package is going up from £31 to £32ish (the 35mb one. My main annoyance was I stated the broadband was being set up on behalf of my mother who is incapable of using the internet and I have her name and details. Instead they put my name with her details and thus we have been unable to set up a direct debit (even though 3 different chat advisors, on 3 seperate occasions, said they could change the name no bother but never did. So I have 18 months of having to remember to manually input my mums 3 digit code on her bank card to pay the internet, and that's what's daunting me. 

What do you do? I've been sent a form but I don't see how it corrects my situation, and I'm worried that if I forget to make a payment it will go on my credit file. Or I was thinking of getting a Vodafone SIM do you thiink they will waive the increase if I do a deal. 

Sorry for the ramble, 

I'll phone them on the number when I can I'm just so busy and worn out, thought I'd get some opinions before even trying. 

Cheers. 

47 REPLIES 47

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Oh dear. where to start? You sound so much like me at my worst. Firstly I would try to sort out  the contract. They gave a number to call in the emails, so call it and see if you can be sure you can leave without penalty.

You should be able to check your contract for yourself here: Upgrade or change plan (vodafone.co.uk)

As you have the Apple Tv it should look a lot like mine shown here: (I also attached the pic as an attachment so you can see it without waiting for moderation)

Plan.jpg

If you really can't call then try chat, go here How to get in touch with Vodafone and tell Tobi to "Go away" (I like to be quite rude to him) and he will put you through to an agent.

Once you know where you stand with the contract you can then make a decision on the next step.

20210521_115729.jpg

Here's what I found. It used to be £31 now £32.39. Nothing "fixed" about it. Curious as to why an older package with double the speeds is cheaper than mine.

Anyway thanks for the link and yes I'll be getting in touch with them once I've gathered all the info I need. Thanks. 

Jayach

@rmaclean3 wrote:

20210521_115729.jpg

Here's what I found. It used to be £31 now £32.39. Nothing "fixed" about it. Curious as to why an older package with double the speeds is cheaper than mine.

They must have changed the package since I joined and removed the "no increase whilst in contract". It was also SF2 for SF1 prices at the time.

Personally I would take the opportunity to leave and make sure the new ISP has the correct charging details.

If landline inclusive calls are important then look at NOW broadband as that includes calls. (I really can't say how good their support is, I suspect all the big ISP's are poor as that is one way they keep the price down)

Can't include a link as they will only remove it for breaking community guidelines. (or so they say, but I disagree as I don't consider it advertising, I have no connections to NOW broadband)

Jayach

Turns out "No price rises whilst in contract" wasn't such a good deal. I would have loved to have had an email saying "You have the right to leave us without paying an Early Termination Fee". I'm very envious.

HappyNomad
15: Advanced member
15: Advanced member

@rmaclean3 wrote:

I still haven't spoke to Vodafone about anything and I've a week or less to do something or I automatically agree to the new terms.

Having read your post, two things are in my mind... if they sound blunt and/or without empathy, it is not intended to be so:

1. This is really not the place to discuss your anxieties/stress/personal/familial issues to the degree you have.  There is unlikely to be anybody able to help beyond the broadest brushstrokes and you may be left even more anxious/stressed/frustrated by the repetition of the simple advice or suggestions already offered.
  2. You won’t achieve any resolution to your current issue(s) with Vodafone if you don’t speak with somebody at Vodafone.  Pick up the phone (or use Tobi as above) and speak.  There are only two outcomes - resolved or not resolved.  Only Vodafone can help you there.

Your only other option is to set in motion a switch to another provider as detailed up thread.  They will handle the actual switch using the address and bank details you provide.  Use a comparison site - all done on line and no need to speak to anybody.  Don’t cancel your direct debit until after you get the sorry your leaving letter and a bill for days of the month up to the actual switch over day.

n.b.  It is noticeable that no staff members or ever so helpful Community Champions have graced this thread with their presence, help and/or advice to a member of the community who is clearly in need of help and advice.

Jayach

@HappyNomad wrote:

n.b.  It is noticeable that no staff members or ever so helpful Community Champions have graced this thread with their presence, help and/or advice to a member of the community who is clearly in need of help and advice.

I had been thinking the same myself.

gipjon

I would still go down the complaint route. 

start here and tell them you want to complain and you want to escalate a complaint to the escalations department and you want to request it is all done by email. simple as that 

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/help-and-information/complaints/contact-us-2

I'm sure you would have written less than what you have written here so far and I think you would also feel better knowing a single person with a brain is helping you from the escalations department. i also think you would feel better once this is sorted 

The only reason I've not is because I'm not wanting to deal with one more single idiot at Vodafone. But yes I inevitably will need to. Why can't Vodafone just cut their completely untrained chat staff out and bring in more useful staff if that's what the customer complaints people are like. I spoke about 8 times with probably 8 different chat people which resolved nothing. I'm sure 1 competent trained person won't cost 8x as much. I'm trying later but if I feel any hassle I'm just accepting defeat. Its like less than 2 quid. What's the point. 

I'm sorry you're right I just can't think clearly right now. I'm removing it. 

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @rmaclean3 - I understand that this is important to get sorted, both for you and for your mother. We would hate to cause any further undue stress.

Since your query regarding moving packages is account specific, I'd advise speaking with our team on webchat. This way, you won't need to discuss it over the phone, but they will still be able to assist with finding the best package for you and advising of your options. If needed, they can also adjust payment details, or this can be done via the MyVodafone App.

If you did want to discuss further any changes to your contract, I'd advise dropping us a message on social media. Make sure to include a link back to this forum thread to save you repeating yourself.