Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

"You have the right to leave us without paying an Early Termination Fee" Email

rmaclean3
4: Newbie

So on the 27th of April which is 2 1/2 weeks ago I was sent an email titled "Important Information about your broadband plan" which went on to say *We wanted to let you know that from your May bill onwards, you’ll notice an increase to the monthly cost of your broadband plan.

Your monthly cost will go up by 4.5%. This reflects the UK Consumer Price Index (CPI) at 0.6% (as published in January 2021), plus an additional 3.9% to cover the increasing costs of operating our network.

For example, if your current plan costs £23, your monthly cost would go up by £1.03.

We're continuing to invest more than ever in our network to ensure you have the best connection. Demand on our broadband network is the highest it’s ever been and our key priority remains the same: to keep you connected.

Because we’re making this change, and the minimum period for your broadband contract has ended, you have the right to leave us without paying an Early Termination Fee. However, there are options for you to avoid this price change.

To find out more about your options, please give us a call on 0808 005 7433.

Just to note, next year, the annual CPI price adjustment will be taking effect from your April 2022 bill.

Kind regards,
The Customer Care Team"

I've googled and not seen anything about it. I had a terrible start with Vodafone which culminated in a manic breakdown over chat a after so many let downs and mistakes coupled with personal issues. I requested all my conversation data and fit it alongside the voucher I was due. I started my 2 year long broadband package in October 28th 2020, so this letter was sent exactly 6 months into my 24 month contract. I find this unusual and wondered if anyone else received this? Also what would it entail if I did decide to pay ways? Would I have to return the Apple TV Box that came with it? Have I left it to late to switch? What about hidden charges or any problems I could run into. 

Here's the thing. The internet has been rock solid with only 2 downtimes I remember and the speed is consistent, calls are free anytime. Its just the customer service has been so poor in almost trying to be spiteful at the cost of potentially shooting myself in the foot. My Superfast 1 package is going up from £31 to £32ish (the 35mb one. My main annoyance was I stated the broadband was being set up on behalf of my mother who is incapable of using the internet and I have her name and details. Instead they put my name with her details and thus we have been unable to set up a direct debit (even though 3 different chat advisors, on 3 seperate occasions, said they could change the name no bother but never did. So I have 18 months of having to remember to manually input my mums 3 digit code on her bank card to pay the internet, and that's what's daunting me. 

What do you do? I've been sent a form but I don't see how it corrects my situation, and I'm worried that if I forget to make a payment it will go on my credit file. Or I was thinking of getting a Vodafone SIM do you thiink they will waive the increase if I do a deal. 

Sorry for the ramble, 

I'll phone them on the number when I can I'm just so busy and worn out, thought I'd get some opinions before even trying. 

Cheers. 

47 REPLIES 47

Cynric
16: Advanced member

.@Evie you want this to go to Social Media? Goodness me what an idea. Surely this situation should be resolved by personal contact by telephone. Can't you just DM rmaclean3 with a phone number and reference?

All I need is the name changed. 3 advisors already said they could do it and couldn't. I can't change the name of the account holder. I don't do social media and there's not much to discuss other than the charges being added. The contract was a 24month fixed cost account there shouldn't be any reason for me to go through this. 

HappyNomad
15: Advanced member

@rmaclean3 wrote:

All I need is the name changed. 3 advisors already said they could do it and couldn't. I can't change the name of the account holder. I don't do social media and there's not much to discuss other than the charges being added. The contract was a 24month fixed cost account there shouldn't be any reason for me to go through this. 

Might I suggest that you focus only on the initial price increase and contract issues that you raised in your first post:

Adding issues to your list as you go along will only serve to confuse people - as evidenced by .@Evie who thinks you simply want to 'move packages' whatever that actually means.  (It can only mean upgrade or downgrade your current package as where could it actually be moved to?)

Once you have an outcome to the price & contract issue, you will either leave Vodafone as a dissatisfied customer in which case, none of the other stuff will matter a jot thereafter or you will stay at Vodafone on agreeable terms regarding price increases and remaining contract duration.  That will be the time to raise the required change to your account details.  

Omg that wasn't added on its literally in my first post. Are you serious? I know my post are long and boring but come on. 

Adding issues to your list as you go along will only serve to confuse people - as evidenced by .@Evie who thinks you simply want to 'move packages' whatever that actually means.  (It can only mean upgrade or downgrade your current package as where could it actually be moved to?)

Shown me the "evidence". You literally made me question myself and reread my posts twice, thanks.

If evie got confused over "move packages" that's her own fault as she is the only one who used that phrase. 

This entire paragraph was so unnecessary you clearly only read what she wrote and not what I wrote.

I'm off I'm feeling like I'm talking to one of the chat team again. 

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Apologies for any confusion caused by my choice of term @rmaclean3. If you do wish to discuss changes to your contract or any account specific queries, please get in touch with us on social media via the link given in my previous post or webchat. We'll be on hand to help.

Jayach

Don't want to bombard you with too much info, but you did say you were looking for a new sim deal.

If you want a monthly "sim only" deal try Lebara, £5 per month for unlimited calls and texts and 3GB data. Plus first 3 month half price if you go via Moneysavingexpert. The only problem is they use the Vodafone network. (sorry couldn't help myself. had to get a dig in).

I'll put a link to MSE in a separate post in case it disappears into a black hole. 

Jayach

Here is the link to MSE I mentioned in my previous post.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mobiles/cheap-sim-only-contracts/

Mods, this is not advertising it is advice.

HappyNomad

@rmaclean3 wrote:

Adding issues to your list as you go along will only serve to confuse people - as evidenced by .@Evie who thinks you simply want to 'move packages' whatever that actually means.  (It can only mean upgrade or downgrade your current package as where could it actually be moved to?)

Shown me the "evidence". You literally made me question myself and reread my posts twice, thanks.

If evie got confused over "move packages" that's her own fault as she is the only one who used that phrase. 

This entire paragraph was so unnecessary you clearly only read what she wrote and not what I wrote.

I'm off I'm feeling like I'm talking to one of the chat team again. 

You are not actually reading what I wrote and on that note, I am out.

Hey there @rmaclean3 

I would love for you to give us the opportunity to get this looked into and resolved. For my team to take ownership and due to this being a public forum, we would need you to message us on either Facebook or Twitter, as advised further up the thread by Evie. This is so we can pass security and look into your query.

You mentioned that you prefer to message rather than speak to us, you’ll be able to do this over Social Media, if you change your mind though, we’ll be able to give you a call straight away.

If this is the route you would like to take, please include a link to this thread and put FAO Shell and I’ll be sure to get someone to look at this straight away.

Shell