Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

"You have the right to leave us without paying an Early Termination Fee" Email

rmaclean3
4: Newbie

So on the 27th of April which is 2 1/2 weeks ago I was sent an email titled "Important Information about your broadband plan" which went on to say *We wanted to let you know that from your May bill onwards, you’ll notice an increase to the monthly cost of your broadband plan.

Your monthly cost will go up by 4.5%. This reflects the UK Consumer Price Index (CPI) at 0.6% (as published in January 2021), plus an additional 3.9% to cover the increasing costs of operating our network.

For example, if your current plan costs £23, your monthly cost would go up by £1.03.

We're continuing to invest more than ever in our network to ensure you have the best connection. Demand on our broadband network is the highest it’s ever been and our key priority remains the same: to keep you connected.

Because we’re making this change, and the minimum period for your broadband contract has ended, you have the right to leave us without paying an Early Termination Fee. However, there are options for you to avoid this price change.

To find out more about your options, please give us a call on 0808 005 7433.

Just to note, next year, the annual CPI price adjustment will be taking effect from your April 2022 bill.

Kind regards,
The Customer Care Team"

I've googled and not seen anything about it. I had a terrible start with Vodafone which culminated in a manic breakdown over chat a after so many let downs and mistakes coupled with personal issues. I requested all my conversation data and fit it alongside the voucher I was due. I started my 2 year long broadband package in October 28th 2020, so this letter was sent exactly 6 months into my 24 month contract. I find this unusual and wondered if anyone else received this? Also what would it entail if I did decide to pay ways? Would I have to return the Apple TV Box that came with it? Have I left it to late to switch? What about hidden charges or any problems I could run into. 

Here's the thing. The internet has been rock solid with only 2 downtimes I remember and the speed is consistent, calls are free anytime. Its just the customer service has been so poor in almost trying to be spiteful at the cost of potentially shooting myself in the foot. My Superfast 1 package is going up from £31 to £32ish (the 35mb one. My main annoyance was I stated the broadband was being set up on behalf of my mother who is incapable of using the internet and I have her name and details. Instead they put my name with her details and thus we have been unable to set up a direct debit (even though 3 different chat advisors, on 3 seperate occasions, said they could change the name no bother but never did. So I have 18 months of having to remember to manually input my mums 3 digit code on her bank card to pay the internet, and that's what's daunting me. 

What do you do? I've been sent a form but I don't see how it corrects my situation, and I'm worried that if I forget to make a payment it will go on my credit file. Or I was thinking of getting a Vodafone SIM do you thiink they will waive the increase if I do a deal. 

Sorry for the ramble, 

I'll phone them on the number when I can I'm just so busy and worn out, thought I'd get some opinions before even trying. 

Cheers. 

47 REPLIES 47

Hi Michelle, 

I did just that and was sent the following reply, "Hi _____ 👋 I hope you're well and safe, we can only speak to the account holder to discuss anything account related and I would need to check your billing history to understand more.

The account holder will need to contact us from their own social media, if they don't have any of the services then you'd need to contact the team on 191 if you have a Vodafone handset or 0808 040 8408 if you don't, or you can use our live chat service here 👉 vodafone.uk/2LCJiTm

If you're wanting to know more about the price increases then you can find it on the website here https://www.vodafone.co.uk/pricechanges"

It's everything I could have dreaded. I tried live chat and your systems are currently under maintenence so I couldn't go down that line. But whilst there I tried to enquire generally about information outwith my account, but I was told the system was down but I would be charged an out of contact fee. I then sent the link provided by the person from Facebook, of which the link showed I should only be paying 0.6% not 4.5% based on when my contract was taken out. Fine. Not fixed per se but in terms of the Consumer Price Index its fair enough. This is when I was told about the maintenence repeatedly. The advisor answered in general terms until I provided the link then didn't want to speak generally anymore. Can you understand why I'm frustrated? Everything I didn't want was suggested to me. 

I'm so disappointed. 

I will try again tomorrow when maintenence is completed. But I think I have to go down complaints route no matter what now. 

Also, to anyone from the other day I spoke to. I apologise. I was sleep deprived.

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@rmaclean3 wrote:

But I think I have to go down complaints route no matter what now. 

Absolutely agree that is the best thing to do.

I am still confused by the fact you are on an "Extra" contract but still got a price rise.

When I joined the Extra contract included "No price rises while in contract" , they still do but are now only available on PRO.

Jayach_0-1621770718776.png

I find it most unlikely that that clause was removed when you joined.

As I suspected the social media "support" was a just too much hassle, I got really ##~## with all the invasive questions to confirm identity. I used chat instead and only one question to prove identity.

Morning @rmaclean3 

Thanks for sending the message over Facebook, I've just had a look and will get someone to pick this up straight away for you. 

Someone will be in touch shortly.

Jayach

HappyNomad
15: Advanced member
15: Advanced member

@Jayach wrote:

Found this... 

No in-contract price rises: This is applicable to Xtra Home Broadband contracts only. 

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/broadband/pro

Right at the end under “Our legal terms” /  [Vodafone Pro Xtra] which is the last but one drop down.  

Jayach

@HappyNomad wrote:

Found this... 

No in-contract price rises: This is applicable to Xtra Home Broadband contracts only. 

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/broadband/pro

Right at the end under “Our legal terms” /  [Vodafone Pro Xtra] which is the last but one drop down.  

Thanks @HappyNomad, so I was right, the OP should not have got the price rise.

Edit: Although that is for Pro and the OP is on the earlier version of Xtra (as am I ).

I have not had the email. (worse luck, I'm dying to leave (without penalty))

2nd Edit: What we really need to know is was that clause in effect when the OP joined in October. It certainly was when I joined in June and I just cant believe it would have changed.

I confirmed the contract on the 8th of October and the internet was set up on the 28th? I've checked my files folders for Vodafone related stuff but I don't seem to have  reference contract as such so I don't know 100%. 

Jayach

I think the contract should be available here: Important documents (vodafone.co.uk) but there is nothing on my account.

Docs.png

OMG I've had it, I've absolutely had it with this stupid stupid company. I'm taking it to complaints I can't cope with the incompetence anymore. EVERYONE on chat contradicts each other, they claim that they will do something for you then do not, they have no training whatsoever it seems, so I don't know whether to feel sorry for them or what. Whoever is the Head of the customer service side of Vodafone needs fired.

In ready and willing to upload conversations from my transcripts since the beginning of October to show what level of incompetence we're dealing with here. 

This is so amateur and minor but it's the final straw I can't keep wasting my time stressing over faults made directly by Vodafone staff when I've so much else to deal with in life.

I was just about to set up a direct debit after you changed the DOB on the account so I could pay my mums internet 🤦🏻‍♂️ and you've changed it to the wrong DOB, so yet again I'll have to get in touch to change it.

Here's the message you sent me earlier today, "Firstly I'd need to correct your date of birth, can I confirm __/__/1991 is your date of birth?"

To which I say "__/__/1991 is correct thank you".

You 've changed it to __/__/1981 and god only knows if the underscored dates are correct as I had to close the app for my own sanity.

You can forget about the Red Entertainment SIM I was planning on taking out to discount my package I'll shoot myself in the foot or any other limb just to ensure you I don't pay a penny more from me. 

How can 80% of interactions be completely false, useless or contradictory with a massive company like Vodafone. Its so amateur. Its making me paranoid your just doing it for a laugh at this point at my expense.

Also where is my documents/contract in the important documents section? I want to see it.