Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Keep Vodafone Australia SIM active

CatHat
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I am an Australian citizen living in the UK. I went back to Australia in November 2022 to visit family and put a Vodafone Australia SIM in my second SIM slot. I purchased a package of phone and data for 14 days that expired the day I left, so I put an extra $20 on the account. I am not likely to return to Australia for a year or so, but I want to keep my Vodafone Australia telephone number for when I return. At the moment my Vodafone Australia SIM is turned off on my phone. If I turn on the the Vodafone Australia SIM and send a text message to my UK number every 90 days, is that sufficient to keep my Vodafone Australia SIM active?

2 REPLIES 2

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Yes @CatHat you  asked  this question here https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay-as-you-go/pay-as-you-go-plan-retain-number-while-abroad/m-p/2722...

The problem is you are asking the wrong company and network this question, you  need to address this to the Australian network, the information you need will be on the Vodafone AU website. 

Having mentioned that if its the same as UK, you would need to keep the SIM active with a chargeable call or top up. For UK it's every 180 days.

Another option is to send the SIM home and ask your family to keep it active.

Just be careful @CatHat there aren't any Terms for how long you are able to  roam, being an Australian SIM you would be expected to return to Australia.

Thank you AnnS

Unfortunately there is no helpful Community Webchat for Vodafone Australia but I have taken your advice and gone onto their website and had a look at the T&C's for Pre-paid mobiles updated in November 2022.

https://www.vodafone.com.au/about/legal/plan-details?accordion-id=prepaid-mobile-phones

(g) If you do not recharge your service within 120 days of your last recharge expiry date, you will
lose your mobile number and Vodafone Prepaid account.
(h) If you do not recharge your service within 90 days of your last recharge expiry date, you will
lose any remaining balances in your Vodafone Prepaid account for example, My Credit and
Data Bank.  

So it looks as though so long as I put money on the phone every 90 days I won't loose either my balance or the mobile number. When I return to OZ I can use the accumulated balance to buy another plan depending on how long I'm over. I hope that is helpful for anyone in my position. Kind regards,