cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Me Too.....Being charged with Data switched off....

draldavies
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello, I too have just been charged for NOT answering a scam call from an unknown 020 number at 11:39 today,6/2/21....I never answer these scam calls, I am a retired house bound 68 year old woman, yet I was charged by Vodaphone immediately ( Got the txt this morning telling me I had been given unltd mins and txts, and 50MB of data...... ), despite having all data access disabled on my phone. ....and I had ignored the call..... The ping of the txt arrived a few seconds after the scam call... I have sent a message to the Facebook support link and am waiting for an explanation..........I don't like this at all.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi all! We've identified that there was an issue where voicemails were being recognised as outgoing calls and therefore triggering the £1 charge, which has now been resolved. I appreciate that you have all been very patient with us while we investigated. If you have been effected by the 'voicemail trigger', please contact us on social media so that we can assist with getting this rectified 😊

View solution in original position

50 REPLIES 50

Well......They've collected a tidy little sum off the whole caboodle of us in these hard times..........

It's noted......

WelshPaul
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

It probably netted Vodafone a tidy amount. Think about it, just a pound or two for you but do that to a million customers and Vodafone just banked 1-2 million. That's why Vodafone haven't acknowledged anything! 

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi all! We've identified that there was an issue where voicemails were being recognised as outgoing calls and therefore triggering the £1 charge, which has now been resolved. I appreciate that you have all been very patient with us while we investigated. If you have been effected by the 'voicemail trigger', please contact us on social media so that we can assist with getting this rectified 😊

@Evie

I was charged for using WhatsApp messaging service but not for receivingg texts. Does this count? I have, on previous occasions, contacted help via twitter without much success as was told I'd used data...... This was when my phone was in my house using WiFi. Glad to say this has not happened since the problem was resolved but am still left out of pocket.

This may have bee an issue but I'm pretty certain it was not the trigger for me. I did not receive voice mails night after night, sometimes twice at once at 00.26 in the morning. In fact during this whole episode I received no voice mails at all. Could you clarify which social media, please.

I believe they mean that if you did not answer a call , your own voicemail came on to reply you were unavailable and that you, and all of us, were being charged for that.

I had chatted to Vodaphone on their Facebook page 2 or 3 times about this issue, when it happened mid Feb.

I was fobbed off really at the time.

On checking my account today I see that the £2 has been replaced without any further contact on my side.

So Facebook chat on the Vodaphone page worked for me.

Hope this helps.

But the problem with PAYG1 goes beyond the issues with Voice Mail. Many of us are out of pocket because of £1 charges levied in other cases involving no use of phone, and no data usage recorded in Vodafones display of daily usage. It seems likely that these problems have now been fixed by Vodafone. That is a tacit acknowledgement that they had been at fault. It is reasonable to expect them to make that acknowledgenrt explicit, and apologise to those who are out of pocket, and have wasted a lot of time in futile online chats with Vodafone agents. 

@ OldDouglas

I do agree with you. I have spent ages either contacting agents via chat or through twitter. I kept being fobbed off and said that I must have been using data which, in my case, was miraculous as I do not have a signal in my house. When this first happened, I was told that the fault was their end and I did have some money refunded but as time went by, I was incurring the £1 charge and told I was using the phone and it was my fault these charges were happening. I did not make any calls or send texts and only received a couple of unanswered calls but did use data which would have been using my Wi-Fi.  This was, so I was informed, the problem, as somehow I magically used some mobile data. It is funny how this happened then but has not happened since the weekend when I have had mobile data enabled and have been using the phone regularly in the house for messaging and browsing without any charges. I do wish that Vodafone would hold their hands up and admit their fault and reimburse the many who have lost money through this debacle. 

Beth
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all! If you've been affected by this, please contact our Social Media team here, and we'd be happy to investigate and reimburse you 🙂

What about those who dont use social media ? (we exist!). I dont want yet another online chat with someone who refuses to engage. I suggest Vodafone provide a tag for us to quote that will link the chat to someone clued in to this issue.