Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Problems setting up a Vodafone account for my grandparents

Caardvark
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

So about a year ago, my grandparents were gifted an iPhone 6 by my aunt. They got a Vodafone sim card for it, and set up the phone, but they only got as far as getting the mobile number and then left it- they don't have a Vodafone account or contract. The result is that their iPhone can connect to the internet (so they use Whatsapp and email), but it doesn't have any signal- they can't phone, text, or use data. Their old phone has finally broken, so they asked me to sort out this iPhone for them so they can actually use it. I've gone to try and set up a Vodafone account for them, but when I enter their number into the Registration section, I get this message 

Sorry, there seems to be a problem

We're working hard to fix the issue, so please try again later.: 491 - [Error ref 1w0] 

Is this a problem with their number or phone that needs sorting out, or is this a problem with the Vodafone site? 

Any help appreciated

4 REPLIES 4

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @Caardvark 

I suspect the problem here is if the SIM has not been used, it would have expired and that would explain the reason for the lack of signal and being unable to call, text, use data or set up an online account. If it's been a year, the only option would be a new PAYG SIM card.  You can get a free new SIM here:  PAYG SIM 

When you have received the SIM follow this link: Getting Started 

edited to add additional information: 

You don't mention if the old phone was using a Vodafone SIM card.  If the old phone has an active connection to the network SIM, Vodafone would easily be able to do a SIM swap for the number to enable the SIM to be used in the iphone here:  SIM swap At least that would help with keeping the same well known number.

When you receive the SIM it will come as a multi SIM and just a matter of selecting the right size SIM for the iphone.  Vodafone Multi SIM 

When you come to register the account, it is advisable to clear the PC cache and clear cookies, very often it's a cookie preventing registration.

Stubbo
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @Caardvark 

It's sounding as thought the SIM wasn't activated, which is why there's no signal and they're unable to make calls/texts. You can see all the options on how to activate the SIM from the link here

If you're having any problems after activating the SIM, let us know and we'll be on hand to help 😊

HI There, i am having exactly the same issue with setting up an account for my mum. She has been using vodafone payg for several months, but now wants to move to a cheap sim only deal. So her phone number is working fine, but i still keep getting this same error message as the original poster I cannot switch her to sim only from payg without registering her for an account. 

She does have quite an old phone, not sure exactly what type but pre-smartphone. Very frustrating that her mobile number is not recognised by your systems when she is using payg.

Thanks

Hi @gimmemoore 👋 We can certainly take a look at this for you both, as we don`t have account access here, could you please follow the instructions in this link. if the account is in your mums name please make sure she contacts us through her own social media account just so we can pass security 😊