cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Retrieving an old mobile number, how to go about it?

markc89
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello to all,

I'm looking for a little help, or should I say information on retrieving an old mobile number that I once had with Vodafone. However, I had this number in questions most probably touching just over 10 years ago!

I do remember the number very well and after a search to find out who the owner/carrier is, it does indeed come back as Vodafone. I've even tried calling the number and it's currently not in use.

Initial thoughts and comments I'm sure will be that there's no chance, and indeed it may have even been used by somebody else after me. However, surely there must be some way to retrieve an old number, not in use. I used to work for a telecommunications company and providing that the number was not use and was not in a quarantine pool, we could reassign all numbers that originated within our company. In fact, some time ago you could even buy the number and we could hold it.

I know every company is different but I have a feel it's more of a case of we can't really be bothered, or don't bother us with stupid requests, just take a god damn new number and let me get back to chomping on my pen.

Having spoken with customer services PayAsYouGo, I found them very unhelpful, as expected in all honesty. They simply searched the number and said I can't find it. Now, however, I'm looking for a serious answer with some possible positive outcome.

How can I retrieve this number? even if it means paying to Vodafone for it? I don't even mind being on the Vodafone network in order just to have it. And more so, who in Vodafone will be most likely to help and point me in the right direction.

Thank you to all in advance.

Mark

108 REPLIES 108

John
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@malilom As @Sukhi mentioned - I'm unsure if this is possible, but we'll be more than happy to take a closer look.
I've sent you a private message with instructions on how you can get in touch.

I've got the very same issue like Mark. I had my number for almost 10 years until it got deactivtaed a few weeks/months ago. Is there any chance to retrieve it somehow? I'm happy to pay any extra cost. 

Many thanks for your help.

Ondrej

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@oslacik We're unable to guarantee getting your number back, however we're more than happy to look into this further with you ðŸ™‚

Please contact our team directly using the link in my private message

Hi I have an old number that was originally Vodaphone and then migrated to O2. I’m trying to find ouT if I can retrieve the number, which operator would hold it still? 

Its not in use, I checked that by calling it! Also O2 my last provider says its not in use. Can you help me find the number, i'd like it back if possible. My husband has the series number for it and I should not have given it up in the first place. 

Funny, actually, as I've just received updates of activity within my post again. Just the other day I was calling again to see if there had been a release on the number or if there was any other solution to retrieve this.

I have to say the confusing factor here is what eventually happens to numbers. Even though they, in theory, do belong to a provider, is there a point where they will just never use them again? As I got the same story the other day on the phone but he used a different description of what had happened to the number. He mentioned something like it's been wiped off our system our something - 'that's not what he actually said but it was something like that'.

Alex,

This is an unusual ask, and I'm hoping you might be able to help.  I need to locate (and hopefully retrieve) a number I'm sure was originally with you guys.  My father had a stroke a while back and his number disappeared into the ether through inactivity, and it's the only one he can remember easily... If you guys can help me locate it and get it back if it's on your system, I will be eternally grateful.

Thanks,

Tom

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Tpaffett Mobile numbers can be recycled depending on how long they've been unused. We could potentially get this back however it'd depend if your father was the last person to use it on our network. 

So we can have a closer look into this for you, please contact our team using the link in my private message ðŸ™‚

Hi would you be able to help me revive a mobile number that was recently in use but has been disengaged by vodaphone because I haven’t made a call within three months 

would appreciate your help 

Josh
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Kingkong123 We'll be happy to help you retrieve this number in question. Please send us your details following the steps I've detailed in this private message, we'll check the number is retrievable and reconnect if necessary.