cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Retrieving an old mobile number, how to go about it?

markc89
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello to all,

I'm looking for a little help, or should I say information on retrieving an old mobile number that I once had with Vodafone. However, I had this number in questions most probably touching just over 10 years ago!

I do remember the number very well and after a search to find out who the owner/carrier is, it does indeed come back as Vodafone. I've even tried calling the number and it's currently not in use.

Initial thoughts and comments I'm sure will be that there's no chance, and indeed it may have even been used by somebody else after me. However, surely there must be some way to retrieve an old number, not in use. I used to work for a telecommunications company and providing that the number was not use and was not in a quarantine pool, we could reassign all numbers that originated within our company. In fact, some time ago you could even buy the number and we could hold it.

I know every company is different but I have a feel it's more of a case of we can't really be bothered, or don't bother us with stupid requests, just take a god damn new number and let me get back to chomping on my pen.

Having spoken with customer services PayAsYouGo, I found them very unhelpful, as expected in all honesty. They simply searched the number and said I can't find it. Now, however, I'm looking for a serious answer with some possible positive outcome.

How can I retrieve this number? even if it means paying to Vodafone for it? I don't even mind being on the Vodafone network in order just to have it. And more so, who in Vodafone will be most likely to help and point me in the right direction.

Thank you to all in advance.

Mark

108 REPLIES 108

Hi,

I have a Vodafone contract throgh my employer and want to transfer the phone number to my name under payg and get a new number for the company phone (keeping the business contract). I have been advised that this might not be possible, that I can only transfer the existing number either cancelling the contract or moving the contract to my name (I just want the number). They said that I could get a new number in the corporate contract but my existing number would be gone. If I do that, would it be possible to get that number afterwards for payg?

Thanks

Alvaro

Thanks. Yes, this is what I was told. If we get a new number to the existing contract, is there a way for me to later chose that number (which presumably would then  be in the pool of available numbers) for payg?

Thanks

Alvaro  

Hi, I understand that it would be lost. My question is, once it is lost is there a way to somewhat retrieve that that number for a payg or personal contract since it would not be in use? I am not interested in transferring the existing business contracty to a personal contract because the monthly rate is too big.

Thanks

Alvaro

I would also like to retrieve an old number if possible. It doesn’t seem to be in use. Could you help please?

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@TimTam So I can look into your old number for you and find out whether this can be done, please follow the details that are in the private message I've sent.

I never received a private message and when I tried to send one to @Natasha, I received the below response.

Due to the amount of queries we receive on the Community, we’re unable to respond to PM’s. Please follow one of the options below, to ensure your query is resolved as quickly as possible.

... Call 191 from your Vodafone mobile ...

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

I'm sorry to hear you never received a private message @TimTam, I've popped you another one out.

The reply you got back is an automated one, as the message we send out includes a form where you contact us; rather than through the private message itself. 

This has been a tremendous waste of everyone's time and so to ensure this doesn't happen again, let me summarise my timeline below.

This thread started with the following problem:
I'm looking for a little help, or should I say information on retrieving an old mobile number that I once had with Vodafone. However, I had this number in questions most probably touching just over 10 years ago!

And I posted the below message:
I would also like to retrieve an old number if possible. It doesn’t seem to be in use. Could you help please?

Day 3: Vodafone: "We'll look into it, please refer to private message"

Day 3: No private message, which I noted on the forum

Day 4: Private message arrives, asking for basic personal details

Day 7: Vodafone asks to confirm my postcode

Day 9: Vodafone writes, "As you're looking to reconnect the line, we'll need to pass some extra security checks. I'd advise going to your nearest Vodafone store with photo ID to pass these"

Day 10: I went to the store to complete an ID check

Day 12: Vodafone: "Please be aware that we're unable to reconnect a number should this have expired more than 180 days ago."

Since the original message mentioned ten years and mine expired perhaps five years ago, I'm not sure why anyone at Vodafone thought it's a good use of their employees' time, let alone mine, to pursue this, when in the end I'm certain they did not even bother checking whether they could allocate this unused number to me again.

My advice would be to check eBay where sellers are listing an impressive array of phone numbers sold at nominal cost. Find one you like, and don't waste your time chasing Vodafone to do something they seem to be incapable of.

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

I'm sorry for the experience that you had when contacting us @TimTam. I've ensured that this has been fed back so this doesn't happen again in the future.

It's a shame that we were unable to reconnect the number for you - if you do have any further queries for us, please don't hesitate to reply to our latest email.

Hello there

I have more or less the same question:
My boyfriend left his company about 6 months ago and they wouldn't/couldn't allow him to take the number. We know that they didn't give the phone or number to anyone else in the company.For a while any call was going straight to the voicemail. Now it simply rings once and then disconnects when I call the number. Does this mean their contract expired and the number would be available again?

Puffin