main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Pay as you go

Retrieving an old mobile number, how to go about it?

2: Seeker

I never received a private message and when I tried to send one to @Natasha, I received the below response.

Due to the amount of queries we receive on the Community, we’re unable to respond to PM’s. Please follow one of the options below, to ensure your query is resolved as quickly as possible.

... Call 191 from your Vodafone mobile ...

View more options

I'm sorry to hear you never received a private message @TimTam, I've popped you another one out.

The reply you got back is an automated one, as the message we send out includes a form where you contact us; rather than through the private message itself. 

View more options

This has been a tremendous waste of everyone's time and so to ensure this doesn't happen again, let me summarise my timeline below.

This thread started with the following problem:
I'm looking for a little help, or should I say information on retrieving an old mobile number that I once had with Vodafone. However, I had this number in questions most probably touching just over 10 years ago!

And I posted the below message:
I would also like to retrieve an old number if possible. It doesn’t seem to be in use. Could you help please?

Day 3: Vodafone: "We'll look into it, please refer to private message"

Day 3: No private message, which I noted on the forum

Day 4: Private message arrives, asking for basic personal details

Day 7: Vodafone asks to confirm my postcode

Day 9: Vodafone writes, "As you're looking to reconnect the line, we'll need to pass some extra security checks. I'd advise going to your nearest Vodafone store with photo ID to pass these"

Day 10: I went to the store to complete an ID check

Day 12: Vodafone: "Please be aware that we're unable to reconnect a number should this have expired more than 180 days ago."

Since the original message mentioned ten years and mine expired perhaps five years ago, I'm not sure why anyone at Vodafone thought it's a good use of their employees' time, let alone mine, to pursue this, when in the end I'm certain they did not even bother checking whether they could allocate this unused number to me again.

My advice would be to check eBay where sellers are listing an impressive array of phone numbers sold at nominal cost. Find one you like, and don't waste your time chasing Vodafone to do something they seem to be incapable of.

View more options

I'm sorry for the experience that you had when contacting us @TimTam. I've ensured that this has been fed back so this doesn't happen again in the future.

It's a shame that we were unable to reconnect the number for you - if you do have any further queries for us, please don't hesitate to reply to our latest email.

View more options
1: Seeker

Hello there

I have more or less the same question:
My boyfriend left his company about 6 months ago and they wouldn't/couldn't allow him to take the number. We know that they didn't give the phone or number to anyone else in the company.For a while any call was going straight to the voicemail. Now it simply rings once and then disconnects when I call the number. Does this mean their contract expired and the number would be available again?

Puffin

View more options

Hello to All. My PAYG phone now displays "emergency calls only". I had no warning from Vodafone that my number (and the account credit) was about to be seized. I'm guessing it happened less than 90 days ago. Please tell me you can restore full use of my phone, same phone number and its credit. Lost access to my number is a massive issue for me. Thanks.

View more options
17: Community Champion

Hi @User7Million 

The first thing to do is to check your network by following the steps here :Network Issues.  If the phone is dispaying emergency calls only, it may only be a network problem at your location.

However, if the SIM has been disconnected for non use, you need to refer to the Terms and Conditions where it will be explained.  It is very important to keep a PAYG SIM active with a chargeable activity.  

If you continue to have problems, for quickness live chat works well.  Alternatively, wait for the Team to get to the thread and they will be the ones to advise how to contact the forum team for further help.

View more options

Thanks for the suggestion. I discovered the problem 5 days ago so it seems unlikely that its a network issue because Vodafone would have fixed it by now.  On the network map there is a black symbol a few streets away that might mean "maintenance", so I have a glimmer of hope. Will take the phone to other areas and see if it works there, then return to this Forum with my conclusion.  

View more options
1: Seeker

I'm in the exact same position can anyone help? 😭

View more options

@leesa662003 It's disappointing to hear you're experiencing the same problem. I'd love the opportunity to take a closer look into this for you, please contact our team via Facebook at Vodafone UK, or get in touch on Twitter using the handle @VodafoneUK. Please remember to include the link to this thread, along with your username.

View more options