Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Switching from PAYG to Pay Monthly

Marrea
4: Newbie

I think I have made a big mistake.  I received a “You’re eligible for a discount” email from Vodafone on 12 January, as follows:

“Thanks again for choosing Pay as you go with Vodafone.  As an existing customer, we want you to enjoy our best deals on data, minutes and texts – so why not move to one of our great-value Pay monthly SIM only plans?  There’s a range to choose from, and you’re eligible for an exclusive discount.  Take a look at a plan we’ve picked out for you below.  Red Extra 7GB plan.  For you, just £9.00 a month, 7GB of data, unlimited minutes and unlimited texts on a 12-month plan.”

This sounded attractive, so I applied.  Vodafone are currently doing a credit check and I am awaiting their response.  However I suddenly realised that I have £30 credit still on my PAYG bundle and I wondered how I get that money back.  To my dismay I have just found https://support.vodafone.co.uk/Pay-monthly/Understanding-Pay-monthly/1464003822/How-do-I-switch-betw... which states “Make sure you use up any credit you have left on your Pay as you go SIM, because we can’t transfer it to your Pay monthly account.”

If a switch from PAYG to Pay Monthly is made, is there a cooling off period so I can cancel and then wait until I have used up my £30 before I change to Pay Monthly? 

26 REPLIES 26

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @Marrea 

I am wondering if the link you have attached has not been updated.  Unless things have changed again, as an encouragement for PAYG customers to move to pay monthly, Vodafone give any remaining credit left on PAYG as a billing credit towards the pay monthly account.  That would give you over 3 months line rental payments on your pay monthly bill.  Please bear in mind that the credit will be applied to the second and subsequent bills.

The thread will be picked up by the Social Team and you should receive a reply soon.

You have 14 days grace to cancel and Vodafone should be able to make sure you keep the credit you had on PAYG.

AnnS

Thank you so much for this clarification.  I am most grateful.  If what you say is correct, that sounds great.  I would be perfectly happy with that.  I will wait and see what the Social Team have to say.

WelshPaul
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

For me, my remaining pay go credit was applied to my second pay monthly bill.

Feel free to go through my post history if you want to read more and see screenshots.

Hey @Marrea

It's great to hear that you're looking to move over from Pay as you Go to a Pay Monthly account. @AnnS and @WelshPaul are correct in what they're saying. To clarify, if you're moving over from PAYG to PAYM with the same mobile number, any credit will transferred to your new account and this will be taken off the contract bills. 

If you prefer to have a new number and close the PAYG account we wouldn't be able to transfer the credit to the new account. However, you can request a refund of any remaining credit within 60 days of closing the PAYG account. With all of our Pay Monthly contracts, you do have the 14 day cooling off period to change your mind. 

We hope that this helps and sorry for any confusion. 

Thank you @Welsh Paul and @MarkD.  This is most helpful and reassuring.  Just to confirm that I definitely don’t want a new number.  I need to keep the existing number as that is the one all my contacts plus various companies have.  

Once Vodafone have carried out the necessary credit checks and I have confirmation that the change from PAYG to Pay Monthly has taken place will I be sent a new SIM card or do I simply continue using my existing one?

AnnS

Hi @Marrea 

You continue to use the same SIM card, it just changes to pay monthly.  The only thing you will need to do is change the internet APN settings from PAYG to pay monthly.

If you refer to device guides for the phone here: Device Guides 

this will give the information you need.

Many thanks AnnS.  That web page is extremely useful.  My phone is a Sony Xperia E5 by the way.  At some stage I will need to think about getting a new one because the battery is failing (it gets down to 46% and then switches off) but unfortunately is not user replaceable.  Well, that is not strictly true as I have seen a kit (battery and tools) advertised on the internet but I certainly do not feel confident enough to attempt it.  It has been like that for several months now and I can manage, as I am not someone who is on their mobile all day (!) , but there is bound to be a time when it will give up the ghost completely.  When I do start looking for a new one I think one of my priorities will be a good camera, as I am a keen photographer and while I do have "proper" cameras it is very handy to have a small device which can be carried around all the time in case I come across a photo opportunity when I don't have one of my main cameras with me.  I won't unfortunately be buying an iPhone though.  Can't afford one of those!  Anyway, thanks again for all your help.

I should be extremely grateful if someone from Vodafone could explain to me what is going on here.  I am waiting for confirmation that I have been switched from PAYG to Pay Monthly (assuming the various credit checks have been successful).  On 26 January I received a text message “Your current £5 BVB runs out in three days.  We’ll then try to take payment for your next bundle using your credit.”  My credit on 26 January was £30.13.  My credit today, 3 February is showing as £25.13 .   All well and good.  So obviously I’ve not been switched to Pay Monthly yet.  However, to my astonishment, I  have just received another text message “Your current £5 BVB runs out in three days.  We’ll then try to take payment for your next bundle using your credit.”  What ?????

Looking at my account online just now it says “Credit £25.13, resets in 25 days”.  25 days from now is 28 February.  So why have I received a text message today saying my currrent £5 BVB runs out in three days, which is 6 Feb?

AnnS

That's very strange @Marrea This will be one for the Social Team to look into on your behalf.  Follow this link Contact Us