cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Customer for 24 years but accounts can't verify my identity for PAYG SIM PUK

psimo555
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello all!

I understand the need for care when dealing with identity verification but I'm so frustrated and confused today.

I have 2 monthly paid accounts (one lasting 24 years).

I bought a Pay as you Go SIM and mistakenly locked it with 3 wrong PIN attempts.

191 Customer Help say they can't verify it's me so cannot give me the PUK code to unlock the SIM.

• I paid for the SIM with the same card I use to pay for my other phones in the monthly account.
  • The setup email is my main Vodafone Account email where I was sent Welcome message for the new SIM.
  • Vodafone sent the SIM to my main account address (of 18 years).
  • I'm phoning them on my main account mobile number asking for help!

Who do they think has all those details and trusted security items and is NOT me?! 

So frustrating.

I was told to visit a Vodafone store as they may be able to help. On visiting today my local store explained that they had less security access than customer service as they were a franchise.

I am desperate to keep the number as by chance it has a lot of numbers in it that match 'life' numbers :Smiling:

Any help very much appreciated *praying*

Simon (yes it really is me)

4 REPLIES 4

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @psimo555 

Yes security protocols are important so Vodafone have to be certain a person asking for a Puk is the account holder. 

Perhaps have a word with the Social Media Teams  

If I can be of any further help then please don't hesitate. Take care.  😎 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks for that!

Good advice. I think I've seen somewhere that the Social Media Team may be able to help.

I'll seek them out.

I'm also happy to go and stand in front of someone and say "Hi, it's me. Here's my passport, driving license, and some DNA."

S.

AnnS

You don't mention if you registered an account for the number @psimo555 without this the number would be ownerless and you would be unable to verify you used the number.  If the account was registered there would be no reason for refusing a PUK code or replacement SIM.

Customer Services should be able to find some information with details of the last top and possible previous outgoing charge.  Certainly speak to the Social Team, they may be able to help but only have access to the same information as customer service channels.

Indeed. The main weakness in my current situation is that I had not registered the number in  "My Account" before deciding to set up a PIN...

However, although as you say the number is 'ownerless', the system still knows who paid for it, whose email it is connected to, and where it was sent. All three are already solidly connected to a known Vodafone customer.

Surely that makes me the owner? 

Vodafone Customer Service are saying they don't have their usual verification details for a "number ownership check" but boy oh boy they have 3 other massive things that suggest it IS my number. Seems a bit mad.

If I'd used a different payment method, different address, and different email to my main account I would certainly understand a bit more...

I'm off to check with the Social Media Team.

Thanks for your input :Smiling:

S.