main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Pay as you go

Why has my £5 BVB apparently suddenly changed into a £10 BVB?

Marrea
4: Newbie

I have a £5 Big Value Bundle.  On 5 March I had a balance of £45.13.  When I checked yesterday (6 April) my balance was showing as £35.13.  Why have Vodafone suddenly taken £10 out of my account instead of £5?  I am somewhat confused.

View more options
23 REPLIES 23
AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @Marrea 

The £5.00 BVB is no longer offered online here: Vodafone Big Value Bundles If the bundle is no longer available from the application it may have been discontinued.

BVB's now offer unlimited minutes and texts and the smallest bundle you are able to purchase will be the £10.00 BVB.

I would recommend speaking to Customer Services or using live chat, they will be able to confirm if the bundle is still available.

View more options
Marrea

AnnS

Many thanks for this.  I would have thought that Vodafone out of courtesy would have contacted their customer first to let them know about this, to check whether they wanted to stay on the plan or not !!  I will try and contact Customer Services for clarification.  I will report back once I have done so.

View more options
WelshPaul
11: Established

O2 do a £5 bundle that offers:

• Unlimited minutes and texts. No data included.

So if you can live without data then it may be worth switching.

View more options
BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

@WelshPaul wrote:

O2 do a £5 bundle that offers:

• Unlimited minutes and texts. No data included.

So if you can live without data then it may be worth switching.

Please do check that another network can offer good signal connection if you consider using a Pac to take your number to an alternative network. I'd suggest to try out a payg sim card for that network to test it @Marrea 

Current Phone > Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5G - SM9860 Snapdragon.

Samsung One Ui 3.1  / Android 11.

View more options
Marrea

Thank you again AnnS, Welsh Paul, and BandofBrothers for your responses.

I would rather like data included, so not sure I would want to move to O2.  Having already once used a PAC to move from Virgin to Vodafone I am not sure I want to go through the hassle of doing that again.

I couldn’t find a Customer Services phone number so I tried the online chat.  Unfortunately I am none the wiser.  My first question was “Do existing £5 BVB customers (like me) now have to pay £10 every thirty days?”  A fairly simple question I would have thought.  However the answer which came back was “£5 Big Value Bundle gives 100MB data, 150 minutes, 250 texts for 30 days.”  It went on like this in similar vein with me failing to get the answers to the questions which I was expecting.  We seemed to be talking at cross purposes the whole time.  Anyway, I eventually lost the will to live and ended the chat.  I shall check how much Vodafone take out of my account next month and if it is £10 again I shall pursue this further.

View more options
Mark

Although we're changing our offers all the time @Marrea cancellation of our £5 BVB isn't something I'm aware of at the moment. So we can take a closer look into the orders on your account and why you were charged £10 this month, we'd need access to your account. As we're unable to do this through a public forum such as our Community, pop us a private message via Facebook at Vodafone UK, or on Twitter using the handle @VodafoneUK.

View more options
Marrea

Mark

Many thanks indeed for this.  I’ve tried to send you a private message via Facebook Messenger at VodafoneUK.  It told me to pick the most relevant option, so I chose Account and Billing.  I then tried to send a message as follows:  “Hi, I have received a message today from Mark, Moderator, on https://forum.vodafone.co.uk regarding my query on that forum as to why I had been charged £10 this month when I am on the £5 BVB.  He said that so you can take a closer look into the orders on my account you will need to access my account, and that I should send you a private message here so that  you can do that.  Please let me know if you require any further information from me at this stage.“  Unfortunately all that happened was I got a response saying “Sorry, we don’t understand that”.  Therefore I should be very grateful if you could give me precise instructions on how I should sent you a private message via Facebook.  Many thanks.

View more options
Jack

All messages are picked up by our automated system so that we can accurately categorise them for our records, then passed along to an advisor. Your message will still be picked up by a member of the team @Marrea, don't worry. 

View more options
Marrea

Jack

Many thanks indeed for the clarification.  I am most grateful. 🙂

View more options
Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)

I've been wondering when this might happen, since the £5 BVB hasn't been available for new sign-ups for a while. This morning I received my routine monthly warning, reminding me to check that I have a balance of at least £5 - so I'll be pretty miffed if they switch me to the £10 version without any warning.

Signal here is poor from all networks, but my "escape plan" is to switch to the £5.50 bundle offered by Ecotalk - unlimited minutes and texts plus 500MB data. I've an idea that they use EE, and their profits get ploughed into buying land for RSPB, so it seems worth taking a punt on it.

View more options
Marrea

Annie_N

I too hope you don't suffer the same experience as me!

What has surprised me is that I cannot seem to find anywhere on the My Account section of the Vodafone site a record of how much they have deducted each month.  I can see my balance but not the amounts taken out.  I have just installed the Vodafone app on my phone, but the same there – no record of the amounts taken out !!  Or am I missing something?

View more options
WelshPaul

Login to your Vodafone account and navigate to:

Settings > Plan usage > Usage breakdown

You can see what was purchased or deducted from your balance there.

My £20 bundle was purchased on 30 March 2021 and here it is listed as a purchase on my Vodafone online account:

Screenshot 2021-04-12 at 20.18.51.png

The amount was deducted from my balance.

View more options
Annie_N

Well, my husband's £5 BVB renewed correctly a couple of days ago - so far, so good, and I think I discover my "fate" at the end of today.

I've had a look an my "usage breakdown", and can see my top-ups as "purchases", but I can't see the deductions relating to my renewed BVBs. My usage is quite low, so I can see activity back the full 90 days to early January, and the three renewals since then are not visible.

I think that this is a change, as both top-ups and deductions used to appear, though both were described the same way, and neither gave any indication whether it was an addition or a subtraction from balance. @WelshPaul, are you definitely seeing your purchase of a BVB, rather than a top-up?

View more options
WelshPaul

My last top up was for £30 and that was on the 22nd March 2021.

I did switch from a £10 bundle to a £20 bundle and maybe that's why it's showing? Maybe bundle renewals are not listed there?

View more options
Annie_N

Could be that it doesn't show "same as ever" transactions, just changes - but that makes @Marrea's experience even stranger!

View more options
Marrea

WelshPaul

Many thanks for directing me to Settings > Plan usage > Usage breakdown.  It shows my last top-up, but I can’t see the deductions.

However, I have now had an acknowledgement to my query on the Vodafone Facebook page, apologising for the delay in getting back to me, and saying that in order to take a closer look into the charges I’ve received, can I please confirm my mobile number, which I have now done.  So I currently await their response to that.

Screenshot 2021-04-13 170959.jpg

View more options
Annie_N

I can confirm that my £5 BVB renewed correctly overnight!

I think that WelshPaul must be correct that it's only top-ups or BVB purchases that are deliberately caused which appear in the Usage Breakdown. Routine BVB renewals happen shortly after midnight, whereas the items which Marrea and WelshPaul illustrate, and the items which I can see in my usage, all happened when we actively initiated them.

The removal of routine renewal charges from the information available to customers seems thoroughly bad news, as it makes it extremely difficult to monitor whether one's account is behaving correctly. Having to check one's balance every day at bedtime, then again on waking up, really isn't a very useful model, especially if you can't see why the balance has changed, let alone provide easy proof of what happened and when.

View more options
Marrea

Annie_N

I’m glad to learn that your £5 BVB renewal went ahead correctly.  That’s a relief for you!

I completely agree with you that the removal of routine renewal charges from the information available to customers is thoroughly bad news.  I myself obviously know by how much, and when, I have topped up because I myself have initiated that.  But it would be extremely useful to see exactly how much Vodafone have charged me every 30 days.  The only way I can do that is by keeping a running total of how much credit I have available and then checking with *#1345# every month to see what my balance is.

View more options
Marrea

An update on progress (or lack of) via Messenger on the Vodafone site

On 13 April at 13:58 I received the following message:

Hi Marjorie, sorry for the delay in getting back to your messages here! So we can take a closer look into the charges you've received, please can you confirm your mobile number? Tash

On 13 April at 16:58 I replied:

No problem.  My mobile number is xxxxxxxxxxx.

to which the immediate response was:

I'm sorry, we couldn't understand that. Pick one of the options below - that'll give us an idea of how we can help.

So I picked the option for Account and billing

to which the response was:

Pick the most relevant option below as to why you're getting in touch

There was no option for what I wanted to ask about so I gave up then.  I have heard nothing since and am beginning to lose the will to live!!  Getting repeated responses saying “I’m sorry, we couldn’t understand that” is a complete waste of time.  It seems a bit pointless asking a customer to communicate via Facebook Messenger when all that happens is a series of automated answers which are completely irrelevant to the questions being asked.

I think now I shall just have to wait and see how much Vodafone take out this month.

View more options