cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Blacklisting my IMEI number - Vodafone refusing to blacklist it!

vic_pet
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I am beyond frustrating and banging my head against a brick wall. I have contact Vodafone 10 times, my insurance company More Than 4 times and Apple 3 times. 

My phone was stolen on June 2nd and I requested my network provider block the phone. I provided proof that the SIM was blocked to my insurance company but they require evidence that the IMEI number was also blacklisted. Despite repeated requests, Vodafone are refusing because I purchased the phone direct from Apple - they say its Apple that have to do this. But Apple insist they do not have these capabilities and my insurance company advice me that ONLY my network provider can do this And research on the internet suggests the same thing. Interestingly the insurance company said they get this problem all the time from network providers, with Vodafone being the worst! And that I will just have to keep asking them until someone does it for me. 

If it was over a small amount of money I'd have given up - this just isn't worth the stress. But we are talking about £500!

Does anyone know how the hell I can make Vodafone blacklist my IMEI number? I have run out of options. I might go into an Apple shop (where they are always so helpful) and ask them to get on the phone to Vodafone with me and force them to undestand that only they have the capabilty to block the IMEI.....

Nothing will make me happier at this point than to leave Vodafone, but sadly I am locked down in a contract until October :Sad_face: I hate them. 

57 REPLIES 57

To anyone who has this issue. I was told on the phone that Vodafone cannot blacklist the IMEI for my stolen device as it was not purchased from Vodafone.

I went to the local Vodafone shop and explained that although my device was purchased from Apple directly, the insurer requires proof that the IMEI has been blacklisted.

They were able to find the IMEI on their computer and request a blacklist within 5 minutes. They advised me to call customer services after 1 hour and request confirmation of blacklist for insurance purposes.

I called 191 after 1 hour and the advisor on the phone again said this was not possible because I didn't purchase the device from Vodafone directly . I asked them to check because I have been told in store that it is possible. After being on hold for a few minutes I was told that they can indeed provide this confirmation & they will do so by e-mail within 5 working days. They also took my insurer's email address. The advisor said she was very surprised that this was possible and never heard about it before.

They also provided an email address for the department in Vodafone who deals with this.

I will post another update once I get the confirmation. 

@Vodafone please educate your staff. This has added additional stress for so many victims of theft or loss who need to process a claim. It is really not acceptable.

I received proof of usage and blacklist from Vodafone this morning by email. Fingers crossed for a smooth insurance settlement now.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm glad to hear we've been able to get this issue resolved for you @Umaradam. If there's anything else we can help with, don't hesitate to get in touch.

Vodaphone please help me - I need my IMEI to be blacklisted in order to get insurance for stolen phone.

I have spoken to customer services several times at length, but thy tell me you can only block the SIM.

I don't understand why it is so difficult to resolve this, I need the blacklisting to get the insurance!!!

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

@shonagee wrote:

Vodaphone please help me - I need my IMEI to be blacklisted in order to get insurance for stolen phone.

I have spoken to customer services several times at length, but thy tell me you can only block the SIM.

I don't understand why it is so difficult to resolve this, I need the blacklisting to get the insurance!!!

Hi @shonagee 

Really don't understand how Customer Services are still getting away with telling customers this nonsense.

Contact the Team here for direct help and support: Contact Us

Thank you Ann.  I have phoned & used online chat several times with no luck!

@vodaphone, please help me as well.  I have spoken to customer service at lenghtseveral times and been told you can only block the SIM.

I need the IMEI to be blacklisted in order for insurance to covermy stolen phone.  They have checked and said it is not blacklisted.

I do not unserstand why it is so difficult for customer service to resolve this for me!!

Have a look at this website https://www.immobilise.com/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Easter-%20Going%20away&utm_content=Easter-...

If you register your phone you can print out a certificate of ownership which my insurance company accepted around two years ago. Things might be different now but it's worth a try

I’m so sorry everyone - but I’m not able to give much more advice than I have. All I can say is that no matter what anyone tells you - YOU ARE IN THE RIGHT. It astounds me that Vodafone have still not recognised this as an issue. I discussed this with literally dozens of employees. I tried every option on the switchboard. Even Vodafone people that replied to me as a result of this post then went on to not help me. My mind was blown. It was after weeks of upset and stress that I happened across [Removed]  in a store in London (which has since shut) who conceded that Vodafone were in fact wrong and they can and should block the EMEI. No idea if he still works there - [Removed] (remove the spaces) 

good luck everyone. The only thing I can recommend is persistence. 

I have since left Vodafone on principle. And recommend others follow suit. 

Vicki 

[MOD EDIT: This post has been edited to remove personal information please see Community Guidelines]

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @shonagee, we'll be able to look into this and if necassary, blacklist your phone. As we'll need to access your account to do this, pop us a private messafe through Facebbok or Twitter and we'll be in touch.