Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Call problems in the US

step_hen
4: Newbie

I’m currently in the US, where Vodafone use T-Mobile and AT and T. I wanted to make people aware there’s a technical  issue with AT and T that prevents voice calls being made and received. Calls can be made on T- Mobile, but I find that their coverage is inferior to AT and T,’s. After several conversations with Voda tech support, they acknowledged there is a problem with AT and T, but, apparently, they’re not in touch with AT and T to resolve the problem. 

104 REPLIES 104

Jaydun68
4: Newbie

I've just experienced this problem in California.

Please see this article:-

https://www.capacitymedia.com/article/2a5x2tyoz25np4z7yz1fk/news/roaming-goes-down-the-drain-as-at-t...

This summaries the issue, I have emailed the CEO's Office and asked for comment as it appears to suggest that T-Mobile will be going down the same route from October making it impossible for Vodafone UK Customers to Roam in the USA. A service Im paying a premium for.

Interesting article confirming my experience in the US. I've made a complaint, but haven't received a response, yet. No response either from the Forum Moderators to my last post on this thread, nor is there any mention of the issue on the Vodafone website, which I think is pretty bad. I've been advised to make sure I'm connected to T-Mobile or buy a US sim card and they'll refund me. T-Mobile only have patchy coverage in the 5 US states I visited, and as you say, they're going down the same route as AT and T.  So Moderators, how about a response to this serious issues that is affecting visitors to the US?

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@step_hen  @Jaydun68 - I’m sorry for us missing your previous posts and the delay in us getting back to you.

I can see that @Evie has previously posted similar to what I am. 

The information we currently have regarding roaming in the USA, is that AT&T have shutdown both their 2G & 3G legacy networks (with 3G being down from February 2022). Similar to what we're doing in the UK with our 3G network in 2023.

This means we’re automatically directing 100% of our USA roaming traffic to T mobile for all services. You should automatically attach to T Mobile when you land in the USA.

There may be some slight blind spots throughout the country, which results in your phone connecting to AT&T. If this happens, like you’ve seen you won’t be able to make any voice calls. If you’ve a 4G phone you’ll be able to use 4G data as normal.

If you then need to make a call, we’d advise to try and connect back to T mobile and you’ll then be able to call out again.

I understand that this is what you’re already aware of. We don’t have any further information at the moment.

Not a very helpful response, since you're just repeating what's been said already, and avoiding the key issues. To repeat myself, I really need to dispute what you're saying about T-Mobile coverage in the US - their coverage is patchy at best, which I base on my recent 5 week visit and travel through 5 states. In towns and cities, 4G is generally available but outside, coverage is poor or non-existent. An "edge" connection was quite common where I stayed in Wisconsin, which gives a flavour of how bad their signal could be. 

So again I ask, what are Vodafone going to do when T-Mobile go down the same route as AT and T in closing down their 3G masts later in the year? Why are you not letting US travellers know of the problems with voice calls? I really am not impressed with the way Vodafone are dealing with is issue.

I have had almost the same word for word  reply from the CEO's Office, confirming that AT&T is unavailable and  ignoring the forth coming T-Mobile USA 3G shut down.

I will be pressing them to confirm that once T-Mobile shut there 3G network in October and until Vodafone UK negotiate  a VoLTE roaming agreement  with one or more of the US networks they cant offer Voice Call Roaming in the USA.

This is not the same as the proposed 3g closure in 2023 in the UK as we will have automatic access to 4G VoLTE calling.

Vodafone  need to make there UK customers aware of this and stop selling USA roaming as a contract add on.. 

If they don't I will be taking this to the consumer show on BBC Three Counties Radio and trading standards.

I'm sure this will also effect UK customer of other Networks, this is a major step backward in global communications and no one seems to be taking it seriously.

With regards to 3G Coverage the following link allows you to check USA coverage of  AT&T and T-Mobile as we have both previously stated T-Mobile's 3G services is not as substantial as AT&T's was.

GSMA - Network Coverage Maps

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Jaydun68 @step_hen - I can understand that it’s frustrating that you’re getting the same information. We don’t have any official details to confirm regarding the future changes you’ve mentioned. It's difficult as we've no control over the signal strength you receive when roaming. 

I’m sorry again that this isn’t helpful to you right now and we do understand your concerns with being regular travelers to the USA. If before you travel you reach out to us again, we can then check if we’ve had any updates. 

Or alternatively you could mention about the US call issues on the Voda roaming page and post any updates there. Why are you so reluctant to inform customers about this serious issue? 

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @step_hen @Jaydun68 - thanks for providing your feedback about this and I've passed this on to our Digital team, to see if there's anything we can do to make this information more readily available online. 

I have just been through two months of HELL because Vodafone's customer service agents are not aware of this issue.  I have had a new account set up, several new sim cards, been placed on the wrong plan, racked up hundreds of pounds of out of contract services (which is being reimbursed) all because there isn't training to call agents about the issues in the US.

RIDICULOUS!