Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Can't receive incoming calls while abroad

marklucas1
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi

I have a Samsung S8 on pay monthly, data roaming enabled, bags of data etc and am UK based.

Whenever I am in Spain, I can make outgoing calls, make and receive texts and  use all my data allowance. But if someone phones me,  my phone doesn't ring.   It's got to the ridiculous situation where someone back home has to text me and ask I call them in order to have a phone chat.

Like other similar enquirers, I have wasted countless hours to vodafone call centres.  Generally the ever-so-nice call  centre folk think it's a problem with call barring or voicemail options.  Yet, every time they fail to solve the problem.

Desperate now!  Is there a solution short of switching to a new contract with an alterntive mobile company?!

Mark

11 REPLIES 11

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @marklucas1

If you are roaming on Vodafone ES, as far as signal and reception is concerned, you shouldn't have any problems.

The first thing to do is to look at your call barring settings on your online account, there is a restriction for incoming calls while abroad, your phone will also have an incoming call roaming restriction on the call settings.

Live chat or Customer Services should be able to look at your account and make sure there is nothing at account level preventing you from receiving incoming calls whilst abroad.  However, if you still need help, do come back to the forum for help from the forum team.

donnyguy
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

When people are trying to call you when you're in Spain, what do they hear on the line?

Are they routed straight to Voicemail or do they get some other message?

I think they went straight to voicemail.

However I have finally fixed the problem by disabling then re-enabling receipt of calls and texts when abroad.  It's very peculiar as in the many call centre calls previously, Vodafone said they had enabled international incoming calls.  Can only guess it's the time tested method of turning something completely off and then on again which fixed the issue.

I have just started getting same problem in spain. How did you change that setting on S8 ?

Thanks

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

It sounds like they re-added then removed their international call bar @karl27, using their My Vodafone app or My Vodafone account. Give that a try and see if you have any luck.

I have exactly the same issue as stated in the 1st message of this thread.

I have a Samsung S8, pay monthly, roaming enabled. I am currently in Germany for business and need to reachable. I can make calls and use my online data, however I can't receive texts or phone calls (doesn't even go to voicemail).

I spent some time with tech and account support, they made me do a few things on my network settings and changed my account settings yesterday but this has not changed anything.

Noone is reachable today, just an unhelfpul chatbot, this is soooo frustrating.

I don't know what to do to get this sorted! Anyone has an idea on how to fix this?

Any chance there's some support from Vodafone?

Hi @Carolinephone. As you're in Germany at the moment, you should be connected to Vodafone Germany. We wouldn't be able to perform troubleshooting on their masts as we only have access to Vodafone UK ones. We're unable to discuss accounts over the forum, but please contact our Social Media team and one of the team will be able to make sure there is nothing on your line preventing you from using your services properly.

Thanks Beth. I really don't think this is a German mast issue at all. As mentioned, I can make calls with no issue. For some reason, all incoming calls and texts are blocked though.

Also, I have issues signing into my social accounts... as I'm logging from a different country, both FB and Twitter want me to confirm via text, but this is the problem, I can't receive texts!!!

This is a very unpleasant situation to be in, and I'm surprised Vodafone is not catered for international calls and SMS, seems so basic and obvious.

I need proper assistance from Vodafone; and I'm not getting anywhere at the moment.