Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Data SIM not working properly....

SuperSuze
4: Newbie

Hello,

Please help me because Vodafone Customer Services are hopelesss. I took out a 24 month contract back in April for an unlimited data package, which is basically a SIM card only deal (which gives me unlimited data, texts and calls). I've been using it perfectly well in my Samsung Galaxy A5 smartphone, which also allows me to create a mobile hotspot so I can simultaneously connect to the internet through my laptop and power a security camera in my flat. I double-checked this was possible before taking out the contract and was told yes this was a good benefit.

However, this week the internet has stopped working in my smartphone. I switched to an older second-hand smartphone (exact same model) and can connect fine, but still cannot create a hotspot. So basically, I can't use the internet from my laptop, the security camera is offline and the internet works intermittently from a half-smashed phone. Vodafone say to disconnecting and reconnecting to the network, but that doesn't fix anything .....

Also, I'm concerned I've been hacked somehow. Both smartphones were performing functions without me touching keys (Google assistant starting, volume controls being turned up/down and on/off whilst watching videos and videos from my security camera have been deleted.

Is it possible to hack a network data sim or gain remote access to a handset? I know it sounds unlikely, but there is someone I know (a neighbour) who might attempt this. Alternatively, coukd they connect by bluetooth without me knowing?

Any thought on either issue woukd be much appreciated.

Supersuze

6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @SuperSuze I completely understand your concern here. It is possible for others to hack into your phone, but this is usually as a result of visiting sites with poor security. As a first action, I'd definitely recommend checking all password-protected apps/sites that you use such as internet banking, emails, and social media sites, and changing your passwords to make sure that they remain secure. 

Hotspotting can be particularly susceptible to hack attempts as their security can be bypassed with relative ease by determined hackers. There are a couple of steps you can take to make your hotspot more secure, including amending the pre-set password to one more difficult to guess, using a VPN, and updating your handset's anti-virus software.

With regards to accessing your Bluetooth, this would only be possible if you've actively accepted a pairing request. If you haven't accepted any requests from an unknown source, you should be fine.

From what you've described, this may simply be a device/network issues. I'd definitely recommend reaching out to us over Facebook or Twitter here, and one of our lovely agents will be more than happy to run some device diagnostics with you, and investigate any potential network outages or issues in your area which may be affecting signal in your area.

I'd also recommend checking our Samsung's advice on hot-spotting from a Galaxy A5, which you can find here 

Thanks, Jack. That's really great advice and I'll look into all the suggestions you've made. Thanks for taking the time to answer my post.

So the plot thickens.....

The data SIM has now completely stopped working in my Vodafone Mifi, with websites not recognising the IP address and vice versa. When I run a network diagnostic its says its a network failure or DNS failure, but the network is incredibly strong here.

Also, this strange new network name called "It hurts when IP" appeared when I scanned for nearby wifi networks (trying to connect to my own wifi) in my building. I think my upstairs neighbours have been interfering because they hate when I type on my laptop (which is now defunct and unusable - luckily, I got all my college coursework submitted earlier this month!)

Can I report this to anybody apart from Vodafone, like the police etc? Isn't interfering in someone else's network or their IP address illegal?

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @SuperSuze, if you feel like a crime has been committed then you can report it to your local authorities. I would advise we run through some troubleshooting to start with though - what is the make and model of your device?

In regards to the WiFi names - this could be a nearby WiFi router. If you haven't already, be sure to drop us a message on social media 😊

Thanks, Evie.

I'm just bumping this thread because I'm still having the same problems and I'm 100% sure somebody has hacked my wifi connection through my data SIM. My security camera keeps flagging up a message saying "untrusted connection" and emails have been looked through. Whilst browsing online (on a smartphone) the volume keys act independently and apps start working on their own, despite the fact I haven't loaded them. Any advice going forward?

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

I understand how worrying this must be - Have you reset your password on all devices connected to your hotspot? And on the apps that are being effected? Including your Hotspot name and password?

I had a similar instance recently where it seems like someone was controlling my Spotify from my device, after resetting my login details and selecting 'Log out of all devices' it seemed to have stopped. So might be worth doing that on the apps/devices effected.