cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Failed Credit check.- Has anyone ever succesfully got to the bottom of why?

Davemac1
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi. Applied for a pay monthly deal with vodafone through CPW.

Declined the next day because a credit check was failed. Then started the complete joke of trying to ascertain why. Contact CPW.They say contact Vodafone. Contact Vodafone. They say contact CPW. contact vodafone again.They say check credit score with Equifax. Check score with equifax.Score excellent with absolutely no issues.

Is there no way of finding the footprint of this credit check. I know one was carried out by vodafone because its on the report. What happened next is anyones guess. Did vodafone send CPW the results? Did CPW get the results but their systems somehow declined it?

Search google and it is littered with tales of credit check failures from voda from customers with excellent scores. It must me costing them a fortune in non starters! And even worse,they really dont seem to care.

20 REPLIES 20

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Due to Data Protection they wont advise you on why they've decided to not accept you this time. 

Its Vodafone that carry out the Credit Check. 

Sometimes people with seemingly good scores still get declined. 

Its advised to await 90 days to let your credit file / score recover and apply again if you wish. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Credit rating still absolutely fine.

Will apply again, probably not with Vodafone.

And anyhow. Saying just try again in 90 days is not good enough. Say it happens again?

Consumers should be given a clear reason for the fail so they can make an informed decision before they reapply.

hrym

This was an issue a while ago, but then seemed to have been fixed.  However, it's appeared again recently and does seem to be down to a mismatch between the CPW and Vodafone systems, or in the way that the request is being processed.  In the past, requesting a manual check solved the problem and this would be the first thing to try now.   If you look at your credit record, you'll probably see no check being made and the the system defaults to "computer says no" rather than flagging up an error.

I suspect an issue with individual checks rather than something system-wide, tbh, or CPW would be noticing a 100% drop-off in successful Vodafone applications (wouldn't they?).

Thanks all.

I've raised it again with an online chat adviser at Vodafone.

Seems a determined chap and is adamant that he will get this resolved for me.

We shall see. I'll let you know

chistery
16: Advanced member

Did Vodafone confirm that they had run a credit check and it failed? 

If you sign up for Clearscore, you should see a search from Vodafone, or not. It may take a few weeks to appear though.

Hi. Yes a search from Vodafone is showing up on my records.

hrym

In that case, it does sound as though the CPW link did work after all.   It can be difficult to find out why a credit check failed, but credit history , length of time at your address/es and being on the electoral register can all be a factor.

chistery

Yes, I was going to say it's kind of a good thing it showed up, as it means Vodafone did reject you due to something in your report, not just something failed and the default "computer said no" response.

Companies don't like telling you why you weren't successful, as you can then try and get around it and try again, so they are all secretive and hide behind stuff like data protection. You might have too many accounts, too few accounts, too high credit limits, spent too much, opened another account last week, so many reasons. Not helpful I know, but hopefully you cna get this sorted somehow.