Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Incoming Voice calls stopped working

Veryunhappy2
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have a problem with incoming voice calls not working on my iPhone 7 after I renewed my SIM only contract with Vodafone. All other services are fine eg. texts in/out, internet and outgoing voice calls. If you call my phone the network fails to connect with the message  'This number is not recognised'.

I have tried resetting the phone and checking all phone settings. I also used the IM on line technical chat services to try to get this resolved but they can find nothing wrong with my settings and the network. If I move my SIM to my wife's  iphone 7 (also on Vodafone) the same thing happens  - no incoming voice calls, Using her SIM my phone then it works fine and receives incoming voice calls. 

I have now asked for my PAC code and have to pay £225.00 early exit fees to move to another network despite Vodafone being in breach of contract with a service that only partly works. I have the PAC code until 11/03/22 so I am still trying to get this resolved and stay with Vodafone. 

7 REPLIES 7

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @Veryunhappy2 

My first thought was bars, but the only incoming bar I can find is for receiving calls and texts and you are able to receive texts so that one can safely be ruled out.

You mention you have reset the phone settings on your iphone, you have probably also completed a manual roam from device guides here: Device Guides  this would have refreshed your connection and updated your SIM on the network. The next thing to try would be a replacement SIM, when a SIM gets used a lot it can start to do some strange things. you can order a replacement SIM here: Replacement SIM 

Other than that, your account will need to be checked, you can speak to the Social Team through Twitter or Facebook social channels the Team will have all the necessary account access here: Contact Us 

edited to add:  A further thought @Veryunhappy2 would be call diverts, you can divert all incoming calls to voicemail, just in case this helps the information is here: Call diverts 

Thanks for your suggestions. I have tried the manual roaming route without success because Vodafone does not have UK roaming agreements in place so this blocks a switch into an alternative UK network that world move my number over.  

The switching to Voice mail will not work as the call cannot be terminated as the called number is not recognised in the network database.

I do not think the SIM is a problem as it has worked fine for almost 20 years I have been a Vodafone customer.   

Please note - I am technical and know how mobile networks work having worked for Ericsson, 3UK and Huawei.

I think this is a provisioning problem triggered by either network upgrade work or reactivation following my new contract.

AnnS

If you were technical @Veryunhappy2 you would know that having used the same SIM for the past 20 years would put the SIM well past it's retirement age, SIM's have changed since then and we have seen the additions of 4 and 5G services.  A new SIM may well solve the problem, you have nothing to lose by ordering a new SIM, if you are passing a Vodafone Store, this can be done in store but Vodafone have become security conscious where SIM replacements are concerned and it is advisable to take some photo proof of identity.

Completing a manual roam has nothing to do with roaming agreements, trying to connect to an alternative network from the phone will be rejected, this will refresh and update your connection with Vodafone.

New SIM ordered but not holding out much hope,

You are wrong on the roaming switch though it will only disconnect and reconnect if either a national or international agreement is in place.

Nothing wrong with older SIM cards they have only changed in size choice and internal memory capacity as they have to be backward compatible to older handsets. That's why you still get the larger SIM footprint and have to press out the smaller SIM sizes.

So if the SIM does not work, I guess I will be moving my phone, my wifes phone, home phone, and Broadband away from Vodafone. I think there are many network problems looking at the complaints on this forum and others. 

AnnS

Actually @Veryunhappy2 you are wrong about the roaming switch, you won't be trying to reconnect or disconnect, you are only performing a network scan, when you click to select any other network, it will immediately reject the request.  The only purpose of doing a network scan is to refresh and update the SIM on the network, it can sometimes be a little behind.

Hopefully, the SIM replacement will solve the problem.  If it doesn't you have the Social Team here in the forum and you only need to look around the forum to be able to see the success they have had.

Lastly, as you probably know I don't work for Vodafone and am only trying my best to help and offer some suggestions to solve the incoming call problem you have.  No need to be short with me.  Also a little thanks wouldn't do any harm.

Well folks guess what the new SIM did not work. Still no incoming voice calls but everything else fine, as before.

I think this forum is not the place to help with this sort of network based problem so one more try with the Vfe Tech team before I implement my PAC code to move onto EE. Thanks for your help thus far.  

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

I'm disappointed to hear the SIM swap didn't help @Veryunhappy2 - I understand how important this is to get sorted. We'd hate to see you leave, if you'd like for us to look further into this with you please get in touch with us via social media. Make sure to include your mobile/account number and a link back to this forum thread to save you having to repeat yourself.