Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Massive Increase in Data Usage/ Allowance + Passes

7thCircleOfHell
4: Newbie

*** EDIT***  Please read this lengthy complaining thread if you like - or save yourself some time. Vodafone have today told 2 of us that there is a problem with data use and they are trying to fix it - so if you have suddenly used all your data get onto their complaints line 03333 041 524 

We have pay monthly Mobile Broadband.  15gb for £15 plus the now defunct passes - Combi Pass so all passes for a further £15. We began the contract in Dec 2018 after looking carefully. We live on a boat and work from home so need reliable internet etc.

All good so far.

Our first couple of months we used a reasonable amount of data per month outside our passes. Less than 2gb in total. So little in fact we looked at downgrading our 15gb to less. We didn't in the end.

Suddenly in February around the 20th - just after we got a message saying 'we've been carrying out some technical changes and during this time we switched you over to unlimited data ... these changes are complete, switched back etc etc.' our data use leapt up.

Now I have downloaded our latest bill and Feb 12th - 20th our highest daily use of data against our 15gb allowance was 2.74mb - and often more like 0.5 averagely - on the 21st that increases to 349.117 and keeps up that pace - cresting at over 2000mb per day - until we hit our limit.

I have spent 4 hours today talking to Vodafone and Voxi customer services. I have spoken to 13 different people in all. I have been reassured that my passes are working fine.

Nobody can tell me why my data use has sky rocketed. Our online behaviour has not changed at all.

It is a strange coincidence it has happened since that technical jiggery pokery on or around the 20th of Feb.

Has anyone any idea what might have happened? Has it also happened to you?

What can be done?

There is no actual explanation for why our data use has leapt 1800x when we've done nothing different.

65 REPLIES 65

I received a number 

I have yet to hear back 

I got that email on the 23rd March 

Loz
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@7thCircleOfHell @Chelseamc2000 Thanks for confirming those references, I'm sorry you haven't received a response yet. We've received your details, we're just a little busier than usual at the moment and we'll be in touch with you as soon as we can - I appreciate your continued patience 🙂

Oh believe me, there is very little patience left here ...

And @Chelseamc2000 let me know if you hear anything.

My patience has worn thin. 

It's almost the end of this month and I've been without WiFi the whole fricking time. I'm absolutely disgusted with this, I've had no answers and when I do speak to someone you don't know what you're on about!! 

Like wise @7thCircleOfHell 

If we do hear anything that is ...

Agreed @Chelseamc2000 - it's incredibly frustrating. The times I have been promised an 'escalation' and I'll be contacted 'within 24 hours' and nothing ever comes. I feel they just say it to placate you, get you off the line. 

I want to know, even with Chat ID's and codes for these referals nobody can tell me why nothing is ever acted on!

Like you I am sick of it. I got this deal so I wouldn't have to worry about watching Netflix or Amazon Prime and initially it worked perfectly. Nobody seems to willing to admit or even look at there being a change/problem/issue. The bills are so obvious! Daily data use leaping up. Nothing at all is being recorded on my video pass and nobody will listen!

Honestly I'm fed up of it as well. I also got this plan so I wouldn't have to worry either but it seems all I've done it worry and stress over this. Last thing I need being 7 months pregnant as well. 

I've had it up to here with Vodafone at this point 

Oh that's really crap Chelseamc2000!

You definitely don't need that kind of stress at any time but particularly when you're in the last stages of pregnancy!

We are now at 10gb of our 15gb allowance and we're halfway through our billing month. There's no way 5gb will last us til April 13th and as you know when the allowance goes you can't use the passes either.

We've been properly stitched up!

Like you we asked all the questions at the beginning - when vodafone were keen for our business - and we reassured that yes, on the computers and phones & kindle fire & ipad there would be no data used for the things on our passes. We mainly use FB/Twitter/Netflix/Whatsapp/Amazon  - all of which should go off our combo passes - and a bit of general data for email/browsing etc. No way 10gb worth in 2 weeks!!!

I've been using the data the same as you! 

For the exact same apps and stuff. 

It's ridiculous truly. 

I'm so annoyed by it all, but yes when we was getting them out as far as I was told everything I would use it for would be fine. Clearly bloody not. 

Ah but it WAS fine for the first 2 months! That's the thing. We had 30 days in which we could cancel and it worked absolutely perfectly! Under 2gb of allowance used as I've said (900 times in the past 2 weeks!). And for the next month.

They have to see that since they did their 'technical maintenance' around Feb 20th and messaged to say we were on 'unlimited data' something has screwed it up!

I also had 30days to cancel but everything was working fine and then boom come Feb and everything went wrong.