Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Massive Increase in Data Usage/ Allowance + Passes

7thCircleOfHell
4: Newbie

*** EDIT***  Please read this lengthy complaining thread if you like - or save yourself some time. Vodafone have today told 2 of us that there is a problem with data use and they are trying to fix it - so if you have suddenly used all your data get onto their complaints line 03333 041 524 

We have pay monthly Mobile Broadband.  15gb for £15 plus the now defunct passes - Combi Pass so all passes for a further £15. We began the contract in Dec 2018 after looking carefully. We live on a boat and work from home so need reliable internet etc.

All good so far.

Our first couple of months we used a reasonable amount of data per month outside our passes. Less than 2gb in total. So little in fact we looked at downgrading our 15gb to less. We didn't in the end.

Suddenly in February around the 20th - just after we got a message saying 'we've been carrying out some technical changes and during this time we switched you over to unlimited data ... these changes are complete, switched back etc etc.' our data use leapt up.

Now I have downloaded our latest bill and Feb 12th - 20th our highest daily use of data against our 15gb allowance was 2.74mb - and often more like 0.5 averagely - on the 21st that increases to 349.117 and keeps up that pace - cresting at over 2000mb per day - until we hit our limit.

I have spent 4 hours today talking to Vodafone and Voxi customer services. I have spoken to 13 different people in all. I have been reassured that my passes are working fine.

Nobody can tell me why my data use has sky rocketed. Our online behaviour has not changed at all.

It is a strange coincidence it has happened since that technical jiggery pokery on or around the 20th of Feb.

Has anyone any idea what might have happened? Has it also happened to you?

What can be done?

There is no actual explanation for why our data use has leapt 1800x when we've done nothing different.

65 REPLIES 65

They have to listen.

Incredibly we did have a reply to our email. It was an email saying they would look into it and could I confirm a code they'd sent to my mobile, my d.o.b and full name. I give these as a kind of nervous tic these days as I've done it so often over the past 2 weeks...

So another promise to 'look into it' - so we will see if anything comes of it. I'm still not convinced anyone anywhere in vodafone actually knows how any of these things work.

Official complaint must be the next step?

Ok I've been looking into this and I know what the procedure is.

If things are not resolved via what we've been doing ... next is:

Complaint to Vodafone and if/when they cannot resolve the problem we can take it to CISAS

https://www.cedr.com/consumer/cisas/customers/guidance/

(It say you can claim against them for 'inconvenience/stress!)

I've also had that email so I guess we will have to wait and see 

I'm sorry to hear this is also affecting you @ANITA_1963, if you get in touch by following the instructions in the private message I've sent you and we'll be happy to take a look into this for you.

I'm glad to hear we've picked your emails up @Chelseamc2000 and @7thCircleOfHell. I'm sure we'll get this sorted for you. Apologies for any inconvenience this has caused.

I have also had a problem with data usage on mobile wifi.  I normally use well below my 15GB allowance, but ran out part way through this month.  I checked the data usage on my account and see that on 8th March almost 5GB disappeared in 1GB chunks and then on 19th March 4GB disappeared in 1GB chunks.  I've had no data left since then.

Hi Anita 1963 - sounds like you are having similar problems.

I have spent actual HOURS trying to get someone to listen to me over this. But I will not give up. I am guessing there will be more people out there with the same problem. If there are more of us then Vodafone will have to listen.

Do you have the passes at all?

What do you mainly use the data for?

Hi 7thCircleOfHell

I don't have any passes.  I only use internet for email and reading news website and Google searches.  Occasionally I work from home but normally don't use anywhere near my 15GB each month.

The problem only started for me in March and the data has gone in 1GB chunks on two days.  It's nothing that I've done and my Mac doesn't do updates without asking so I know its not that.

I've spoken to Vodafone and they were unhelpful.  

After reading yours and other posts I'm not very hopeful that the issue will be sorted.

May be worth contacting the ombudsman?

I was told on the phone that the mobile dongles aren't compatible with certain makes of laptops and game consoles, after being told that it would be, which is why I'm so annoyed. 

I feel like I've been lied too and conned into a contract.

I've had my mobile wi-fi since February 2016 and I use it with Dell, HP and Mac laptops.  I've had no problems before and I doubt that the data disappearing in 1GB chunks on 2 days in March is anything to do with compatibility.

I read other forum posts going back a few years where people were reporting the same issue, where chunks of data were being used on one day but they were not doing anything that would use that amount of data, so clearly this has been going on for a long time.

My allowance for the month starts today but I'm too scared to use it in case I go over.  I've set it to a limit of 0, but other people have said they have set a limit and it has still gone over.  I will definitely be looking to move provider when my contract ends in May.

Hi Anita

Those disappearing chunks are mysterious.

The best thing to do if not getting anywhere with the customer service is to ring the complaint line.

I am waiting for a reply to my email and if they don't manage to sort it out a complaint will be my next move. Until complaints have been made and still not resolved the obudsman can't get involved as I understand it.