Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

New customer - credit decline!?

Stevenol
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi all

Im trying to join Vodafone after 20+ years on a pay monthly contract with EE/Orange.  

Was declined for credit in store which wasn't expected at all. My TransUnion rating is Excellent (648/710), Experian rating is 999. 

Lodged an appeal and got a response saying my name on the credit application didn't match the appeal. Went back to the store where they confirmed that my name was correct, checked my photo ID and submitted application again. Declined again!!! 

Sent another appeal and was told that the details were all correct now but I didn't meet 'minimum criteria'. Also checked my TransUnion file again and found that no hard or soft searches have even been carried out by Vodafone, so what part of my name, address or age (44) doesn't meet the minimum criteria?? 

Is there a phone shortage? Are you rationing new contracts? Do you discriminate against people called Oliver?

There is absolutely no logical reason why my credit application would be declined. Like it or not, Vodafone and EE have a monopoly on the UK market - if I cant be with one, I have to be with the other and EE doesnt work for me anymore due to location!! 

Please help to unravel this nonsense..

Thanks

Oli

2 REPLIES 2

chistery
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Are you trying to take out a loan and plan? Maybe try SIM only and buy the phone elsewhere? Apple, Samsung, others all do 0% finance plans on new devices.

garetc
12: Established
12: Established

Vodafone credit checks are mysterious but if you have followed the appeals process and they have come back and said no there’s nothing that can be done at the moment. IIRC it’s either 3 or 6 months before you can try again.

You might be better looking at taking the handset out on credit from the manufacturer and getting a SIM only deal through an MVNO (virtual operator using Vodafone’s network).

If you’re dead set on Vodafone you can get a SIM from TalkMobile who perform an ID check rather than a credit check. Services are mostly the same, i.e. 5G and 4G calling (more info here) they’re owned and operated by Vodafone.