Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

STAC or PAC code?

Bec1999
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I've recently taken a contract out with Vodafone and waiting on the phone getting delivered. Before doing this I was using a phone that was under contract in my partners name as it was a gift. Will I need a STAC code as the new contract is under my name 

4 REPLIES 4

donnyguy
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Good morning, 

So to make this easier, are you wanting to keep your existing phone number and move it to the new contract? 

• If yes, you require a PAC code (this code allows you to port your number to a different provider)
  • If no, you require a STAC code (as this is a code which tells the previous provider you don't want to keep the number and to just close the account)

Here's where it gets complicated.... who was your previous provider (the one your partner gifted you)?

• If it was any other provider other than Vodafone, then all fine.

If your previous service was also with Vodafone and you're wanting to keep your number, then it's possible but you need to use a workaround as you can't port from one line to another. You need to port out and back in again which isn't as bad as it sounds, here's what you need to do.

• Go to Tesco Express (or any other shop) and buy a pay as you go SIM card for any other network (3, O2 or EE), they're 99p
  • Activate and register the SIM card so you're the customer (just in case you need to talk to them at some point). I personally went for a EE simcard and registered for My EE
  • Get the PAC code from Vodafone for your number and port it onto the PAYT sim (it takes one working day so if you do it before 15:00 today, it'll port tomorrow)
  • When the number ports tomorrow, it'll be working on the PAYT (so for me, it was EE PAYT)
  • By this time you'll have your new Vodafone contract and you can go to www.vodafone.co.uk/keepmynumber and enter the PAC code. 
  • Assuming you did this before 15:00, then your number will be back with Vodafone on your new contract the following working day

It's not perfect, having to port out and back in again but it's the nature of a number port. It's from one provider to another rather than within the same carrier. It does mean you can take advantage of acquisition deals when they're better than the upgrade deals (that was the reason I did it) or in your case, it's a way of getting your number off your partners account and into your own name.

Finally for completeness, if your previous service was with Vodafone and you're not wanting to keep your number then the quickest way of closing it down is to get the STAC code but again, you'd need to give it to another carrier so again:

• Buy the 99p sim from Tescos 
  • Register it
  • You can give them the STAC code instead of the PAC code, if you do this before 15:00 then your previous Vodafone number and line will cease the following day. Assuming you're out of contract, it saves on the 30 day notice period that Vodafone would require if it was a straight cancel with them. 

Hope this helps 

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Is the contract in your partners name under Vodafone or another network @Bec1999 

Moving old vodafone number onto new Vodafone Contract. Credits to @AnnS 

There are two ways this can be done.

1.  Cancel the old contract and ask for the number to be moved to PAYG.  The number will be scheduled to move to PAYG after 30 days.  You will then receive a new PAYG SIM card to activate and top up a small amount to get it active on the network.  You will then be able to transfer the number to the new contract.

2.  Ask Vodafone for a PAC code, move the old number to an alternative network, use the SIM as PAYG on the other network and ask for a PAC code to move the number onto the new contract.If your original contract near it’s end date ?

If not then actioning the above would end it and invoke any relavent early termination fee. 

If your partners contract is not Vodafone then ask for a Pac from the other network is my advice to give to Vodafone to move your number to the new Vodafone contract.

From Help-and-information/cancel-your-account. 

“Switch to another network and keep your number - get a PAC code”

“Switch to another network and get a new number - get a STAC code”

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

The contract thats in my partners name is a vodafone contract but it gives me the option to cancel the contract and not move anywhere else. I dont wish to keep the number either. How would I get a new number for my new contract? 

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @Bec1999 

Your new Vodafone contract will come with a brand new number once your SIM in activated.

To cancel your partners old contract and not keep that number, you'll either need to follow the steps provided above by @donnyguy in regards to a STAC code (this will cancel the contract and you will lose that number), or your partner can call up our cancelations team on 191 from a Vodafone number or 0808 040 8408 from an alternative number.