Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sim won’t activate

James28
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

Wondering if someone can help me. I recently took out a new contact with Vodafone on a pay monthly deal. I purchased this from mobiles.co.uk.

I received the phone and sim but before I could swap the sims over with my old one I lost the SIM card.  I was sent a replacement but I can’t seem to activate it. I’ve spoken to Vodafone numerous times who’ve said they  activated it (it wasn’t), then sent a form to complete, but when I go to the form the numbers don’t seem to be as on my sim. 

The no’s on the sim start with 00030 whereas on the sim swap site they start with 89441. Does anyone know why this is and how to resolve? 

9454AF49-4B35-45F2-92A8-B365C0B57F2C.jpeg

Thanks,

James. 

8 REPLIES 8

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @James28 

If this is a contract taken out through a third party, the problem you are going to have is this will be a new contract with a new number, that leaves you needing to cancel the previous contract and move the number to the new third party contract.

The quickest way to get this done is to port the number for the old contract to any other network, when the number moves port the number back into Vodafone on the new third party contract, this will usually take 2 days to fully complete but at least you won't be paying for two contracts.  You can find how to request the PAC by text here: Cancel Account 

As far as your SIM swap is concerned, if you are trying to activate it here  without success and assuming this is a plain blank numberless SIM and are having problems, it sounds like you need to speak to someone.  I would recommend live chat for immediate quickness.  Alternatively, follow this link to speak to the Twitter/Facebook Team. Contact Us 

Hi,

Thanks. So do I have to move to another contract if I move networks? 

I was on a pay monthly contract with Vodafone, who told me I can’t move to another pay monthly contract. So my old one was moved to a pay as you go contract, they then said I could move it to pay monthly from there, is that correct? 

I’ve also spoke to live chat numerous times who haven’t been able to resolve it and activate the sim. 

Thanks, 

James. 

AnnS

Yes @James28  you can move the number to PAYG and move the number to the new contract form here: Keep My Number bu the problem going the PAYG way is it's going to take 30 days before the number moves to PAYG.  Going the PAC way achieves the same but quicker result and if you are out of contract with the contract immediately terminate when the code is used, will also be cheaper.

When the number moves to PAYG you should get confirmation in the way of a text message, but calling 2345 the top up line will be a good way.  Until the number has moved you won't be able to transfer the number to the new contract and if it's in the process of moving this may be the reason it has failed.  Speak to Vodafone or the Social Team, they will be able to advise.  Until then, you have the use of the new number that came with the new phone.

Sorry I should of said, I’ve already gone through the process to move the contract to pay as you go. So it’s now on pay as you go but I can’t activate the new sim to transfer it across, if that makes sense? 

AnnS

Yes @James28  quite understandable.

If you have completed the Keep My Number link to move the PAYG number to the new contract in the reply above, this is going to need account account and you will need to speak to Customer Services, use live chat or speak to the Social Team.  They will help and make sure the number is transferred.

Ok thanks.

One thing I didn’t understand in the sim activation link was that the sim no Vodafone pre filled in the boxes seemed to start with 89441 whereas the sim I have starts with 00030, is there a reason for this? 

Hi, 

Any ideas re the above question about the different SIM card serial numbers? 

hrym

For reasons too boring to go into here, I have a small pile of Vodafone SIMs.   Some of them start with 89441, which is followed by 00030, and some don't.   Looking further, it would appear that the ones without also have shorter numbers - ie, the 89441 has been omitted.   The ones misssing the prefix are all nano SIMs and I think there simply isn't space for all the digits.

I'd suggest you try entering the numbers as you have them, leaving the 89441 box pre-completed.