Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Transfering Pay as you go/pay monthy number

Winjeel
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I have been trying to get my wife's number changed for over a month now. Chat is no good, they want to charge us and I can't get through to anyone on the phone (gave up after 25mins today).

Basically, my wife had a Pay as you go number for years. We bought a new phone and a separate new SIM on Pay monthy through Carphone warehouse (now currys), filled out the online form and had the old pay as you go number transferred to the new pay monthy.

The SIM deal did not have WiFi calling, so we cancelled the pay monthy and bought a new SIM pay monthy again through carphone warehouse. We were within our 14 day period so did not get charged. Carphone told us that we could get the old number transferred over to this new SIM. That was over a month ago.

I have been on chat 5 times now, been into the Vodaphone shop (which told us that carphone were not that good in so many terms) and said they couldn't do anything. We went into Carphone (Currys) and spoke to someone who said they had been in the business for 20 odd years and didn't know why the cancelled pay monthy had not transferred back to a pay as you go enabling us to fill the form out again. They suggested to wait for 28 days and fill the form out again.

Guess what? Filled the form out and got a message saying it was pay monthy and we would be charged for cancelling the contract early!

We still cannot get the original number which my wife needs to keep. Anybody got any ideas?

(I have all the transcripts of the "Chats".)

6 REPLIES 6

AnnS
17: Community Champion

That is a problem @Winjeel 

Once the number was moved to pay monthly, the number would either have needed to moved back to PAYG or cancelled.

The quickest way to get the number on a new pay monthly contract is by porting out the number to any other network and back in on the new contract, does the job and the number is on the new contract by 48 hours at the most.

There are plenty of previous threads on the forum with examples of transferring a third party contract and moving the number.  If you use the forum search facility or Google these will come up.

Data calling is supported on all pay monthly and PAYG plans, not sure why you were unable to get data calling.  There is further information here: Data Calling 

Hi AnnS,

Thank you for the reply.

The Pay monthy contract we took out was a Basic package which does not have WiFi calling, we live in an area where we have little to no signal on any network, hence the reason for getting a SIM deal which has WiFi calling.

The contract has been cancelled, I saw the account details on the monitor in the Currys shop, hence why the guy told me to wait for 28 days so that it cleared off the system.

I don't want to take out another deal with another provider just to port the number, but I will, as you suggested look on the forum and internet for "transferring a third party contract" and see where that takes me.

Cheers.

AnnS

Hi @Winjeel 

If you don't want to port out the number to an alternative network and back in on the new contract (the quickest way to get the number transferred to the new contract) you will need to transfer the number to PAYG and follow this link: Keep My number .  If the Basic contract is cancelled, that will include the number and Vodafone and you would be unable to transfer the number to the new contract.

If you have cancelled, this would have need to be done through Vodafone, Curry's cannot cancel the contract, that has to be done by the account holder.

If you speak to the Social Team through Twitter or Facebook, they will be able to see what has happened to the Basic contract.  The Team can be contacted here: Contact Us 

Hi AnnS,

Thanks for the reply.

We don't do any social media, so I will have to join the cue on the phone and wait to speak to someone again.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers.

Hi,

Just an update...

I spent over an hour on the phone to Vodafone who have said that the old contract is not cancelled and because I am now out of the 14 day period, I would need to pay an early termination fee. They suggested contacting Carphone Warehouse to get the money back and the 2 months that I have been charged for a contract that hasn't been terminated.

I contacted Carphone Warehouse and spent another 45 mins on the phone...

It turns out that the contract they cancelled on the 28th was NOT ours, the transaction code was somebody else's! I told them that they needed to cancel the contract, refund my monthy payments and pay the early termination fee. After much backwards and forwards with the operator and someone in the background who I could clearly hear, they tried everything to get out of the mess they have caused. The outcome is that I have to fill out the vodafone form to transfer PM to PAYG, pay the early termination fee, wait another 30 days. Then fill out another form PAYG to PM to get the number transferred.

I would suggest that anybody reading this would steer well clear of Carphone (Currys) and buy through Vodafone. (Even then, I'm not sure this would have gone smoothly!).

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Thanks for the update @Winjeel - I'm glad that we've managed to figure out where the issue was with transferring the number. Apologies that you'd had such a struggle with it, hopefully it'll be plain sailing from here.

Please feel free to pop back and keep us updated and best of luck with everything!