Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Upgrading via Carphone Warehouse

GreggyGregGreg
4: Newbie

If I upgrade my phone via Carphone Warehouse, does my contract remain with Vodafone, or does it change to Carphone? 

I have also read others' concerns on here with their existing SIMs being deactivated, leaving them without a phone until they receive their new ones.  Is that still an issue?

18 REPLIES 18

It says I can upgrade my device today, or 21st February upgrade to a new SIM only plan. Nowhere does it say anything about early termination charges 

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @GreggyGregGreg 

I can assure you I never talk rubbish on this forum, you only have to look back on my previous replies to see the support and help I have given to fellow customers.

To upgrade without any extra charges being added to the contract you have to be in the last month of contract, Carphone as all third party sellers, make their profits by selling a new contract with a new number, that is you purchase as a new customer, the commission on new contracts is far greater than simply upgrading you.  You then transfer the old number using the process as described in my first reply.

At a guess your priority is getting your hands on a new phone, upgrading early is going to be an expensive experience and won't come cheap.  By all means take out an additional contract with Carphone, use the same SIM and then cancel the old contract and move the number in 6 months time, but this is going to mean paying for two contracts until May.

I would hardly say I'm upgrading early, my phone is three years old. 

Having done my sums, it would now appear to be cheaper to buy the new phone I want SIM free, and stick my existing SIM in it!

That's what I think I may do, so that would have the advantage of my not being tied into anything from May, and also not going through a third party or having a locked phone! 

AnnS

Hi @GreggyGregGreg 

If your phone is three years old, you wouldn't by any chance be on a SIM only contract? 

If you are Vodafone will write off what remains on your current contract and upgrade you to a new 24 months contract with a nice new phone.

Indeed, I am on a SIM only contract. Which presumably is why its coming up with the response that I can upgrade straight away?

But only with Vodafone? Not with Carphone?

In which case why have I had a completely different answer from @BandOfBrothers? 

AnnS

Hi @GreggyGregGreg 

When you started the thread it was not clear you were on a SIM only contract.  As far as flexible upgrades are concerned the best I could find is here: Flexible Upgrades 

You are in an enviable position to get a new phone with Vodafone on a 24 month contract with what remains of your SIM only written off.

Apologies if I wasn't clear, it didn't occur to me it was important, nor made a difference!

I don't usually upgrade, I normally go onto SIM only after my 18 or 24 or whatever contract matures, so am not used to this sort of thing. 

But if I have done my sums correctly, it will just be cheaper for me to buy a new phone outright, keeping my SIM only contract anyway! 

Sim only contracts can provide a better deal in regards to monthly cost etc @GreggyGregGreg definitely depending on which length of term you choose.

Personally I prefer Payg as their allowances are not that far away from Pay Monthly and I'm not then signed into a long term commitment.

If disposable income allows then Yes buy your phone as sim free.

I always do this with my phone's to be fair which suits my wants and needs.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

I've just done this with both mine and my wife's number. Bought 2 new contracts through carphone because they were slightly cheaper and lots more data (£9 for 3GB/mo vs £8 for 20GB, unlimited calls n texts, no brainer).

I read this forum post and have transferred mine to EE PAYG and now need to transfer back again, it's a pain and will take days.

I called voda and they transferred my wife's number directly no need to port out and back in again, and it was done in 30 minutes, once I managed to get through to someone who understood what I was asking for and was capable (3rd time lucky)

Anyone else reading this post I recommend trying to call voda support before going the transfer route. You might have to try a couple of times, and I used the contact number for voda on the carphone website.