main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Pay monthly

call charges to Isle of Man

Highlighted
2: Seeker

So I've been with Vodafone for well over 20 years (around the time the mobile phone was invented!). I have had little issue or reason to ever complain in all of that time.... until now.

Yesterday I received a text message from Vodafone to say that I had made an international call (£9.32) and that did I want to sign up to a new 'package' that would help absorb costs. Having made no international calls I was concerned so checked my app. The single call in question was to +44 number (UK?) and an STD of 01624 xxxxxx. A quick Google shows this to be the STD for the Isle of Man, I had called a guy back from an advert and spent around 15 mins chatting. 

Pay monthly call charge details tells me that calls to standard UK 01, 02 & 03 numbers are inclusive.... BUT, further into it, it does explain call charges to the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands, without mention of 01624... and no link between the two. 

Not knowing that 01624 was an Isle of Man STD or to be honest that the Isle of Man isn’t even in the UK.... I didn’t hesitate to call what is obviously an '01' number. I feel completely ripped off. 

I have since investigated the situation with other telecoms providers who have mixed positions. Back to me and Vodafone, I have suggested to customers services and to complaints that they at least update their call charge info pages to annotate 01 numbers included 'with exception'. For me though, whilst this would help, I would assume most people simply could not remember or question calls to an 01 number if included within their contract.... So, the obvious and failsafe solution would be for Vodafone to apply a simple message on the front end of calls to 01624 numbers to explain "calls will be charged, blah... press to continue or hang up... blah"

I suggested this to various people and departments in my mini quest to take this forward. Not good response, I was offered £15 BUT only if I agreed to a resolution in full. Not on your nelly..... I'm feeling completely ripped off right now!

I am currently continuing my investigation and plan to take this up through Social and also directly with Ofcom. Would be interested in others within Vodafone about their position and thoughts also?

View more options
1 REPLY 1

Thanks for getting in touch @dogsdodo - I understand your frustration and know that the Isle of Man can be a little confusing. As stated on the website - calls to Standard UK landlines are included in your package; as The Isle of Man isn't part of the United Kingdom, nor is it part of the European Union, it won't be covered. You can find more information on our website here, of what is and isn't included in your plan.

It's great to hear that on this occasion the team you've spoken to offered to add a credit to your account, to cover the charges. If you don't want to accept this, of course you're more than welcome to go through our ADR route (Alternative Dispute Resolution) and take your complaint to CICAS. Please continue to keep us updated and let us know how you get on. 

View more options