Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

one number for alexa

kentsue
2: Seeker

Hi all.  Would be very grateful for any help.

My Mum is 96 years old and blind.  Alexa used to make calls for her via the landline but this has now been stopped.  I understand that I can purchase a mobile and use a red monthly sim card which will allow Alexa to make calls.

What I need to know is does the mobile have to be switched on all the time for Alexa to make the calls.

Many thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

hrym
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

I would assume so, which would also mean that it would need to be kept charged.   You would also be paying for a monthly contract on top of the wifi used to run Alexa.  You could, of course, use Siri or OK Google to make calls, but the ongoing cost would still be there.

However, I'm wondering whether this would meet your needs?   If so, it would be a one-off cost.

Thank you so much for your answer.  I will definitely check out the phone.  She already has broadband so there will be no additional charge.

joanmiles40

Hi, I know this is an old post, but it might help others.

My mum, Joan is in a nursing home and has vodafone linked to her Alexa which costs £7 a month on top of her monthly sim only deal. The physical phone that is linked to the Alexa has the Alexa app etc on it, but the phone is always in my house and usually switched off.  She doesn't need the phone on her, or for it to be charged, or switched on. I turn it on once or twice a week, usually to add a new audible book to her Alexa account.

I hope this info helps  x  (p.s. I am Corinne, Joan is my mum).