Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Locked but no pop up box

Hiero
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

My P30 Pro is locked to vodafone. Only vodafone sims work in it. However, when I insert an active sim from another network, I am not being prompted for a network unlock code and it'll show emergency calls only no mobile data at the top of the screen. How do I unlock my phone?

9 REPLIES 9

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Well it should be as described in How-do-I-use-my-nuc. 

How to use your NUC

1. Insert a non-Vodafone SIM
  2. Turn on the phone. The phone will prompt to enter the Unlocking Code
  3. Enter your NUC
  4. Press OK

The active alternative Sim card your using is it one of the main networks or a virtual network. 

If a MVNO then consider using one of the main network sim cards which is fully activated.

If your still stuck then the Vodafone Social Media Teams via Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries will be able to help via Twitter. Link back to your thread here including your forum username so your not having to repeat yourself.

🌈 Stay Safe & Stay Alert.  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

" The phone will prompt to enter the Unlocking Code". This part isn't happening. However, the phone is behaving as if locked to other networks because only Vodafone sim cards work in it.

BandOfBrothers

Did Vodafone supply the phone originally @Hiero  ?

Let the Vodafone Social Media Teams help.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Yes. Weirdly, it was previously working with other networks for a several weeks but then randomly stopped working. I called customer services and gave the IMEI and they said it was still locked. 

AnnS

Hi @Hiero 

I seem to remember at the time of release that some Huawei phones were unlocked direct from Vodafone. Also if the phone was already unlocked to all networks it's unlikely it would lock itself to the supplying network.

If the phone was locked when you used the alternative network SIM you wouldn't receive the emergency calls only message, that is usually received when there is no network signal being received to the phone, also without the correct data settings, the phone would show no data.

Although it sounds simple try making sure the SIM is inserted correctly, also make sure there is signal on the other SIM, try a different alternative network SIM and see if you still get the same problem.  This would eliminate a SIM or phone issue.

When you insert the alternative network SIM, try going into your network connection settings, scroll down to mobile networks do a network search and select the network for the SIM being used and follow this with a reboot.

"I seem to remember at the time of release that some Huawei phones were unlocked direct from Vodafone. Also if the phone was already unlocked to all networks it's unlikely it would lock itself to the supplying network."

I think you're right that this phone was initially unlocked because it was working fine with my Three Sim but then it randomly stopped working and showed no signal. I tried various other Three sims that been working in other phones but they receive no signal and it only now works when I insert a Vodafone Sim.

It's not a sim issue because these sims work in other phones.

It's not a hardware issue as I can receive a signal with Vodafone.

Only thing I can think of is Vodafone have relocked the phone but that doesn't fit with missing unlock code prompt. I have already gone to a Vodafone store but they weren't at all helpful.

AnnS

Yes @Hiero 

I am sure there were some very lucky Vodafone customers are the time very pleased having seen supplied an unlocked Huawei phone.

If the phone was supplied unlocked or has been unlocked, it is impossible to relock to a network, emergency calls only means the phone can latch onto any network when there is no signal available should one need to contact the emergency services.

If you did the network search, you should have received the network frequencies available for the location, it may be 3 can only use 3 or 4G at the location. I would also suggest trying an alternative SIM other than 3.

Quite sure this will be a SIM issue and not phone related and certainly nothing that Vodafone will be able to help with when you are not using a Vodafone SIM.    It would certainly be worth asking this question on 3 Community? 

I have tried using a Three, 02, EE sim card which work in other phones in my phone. They don't work, only the Vodafone sim does. Somehow, my phone has become locked to Vodafone and I don't know how to unlock it because it's not asking for an NUC code.

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @Hiero, thank you for all the info you have provided so far! Since it doesn't prompt a Network Unlock Code it could be a SIM issue such as a locked SIM which you would need a PUK code from your supplier.

I would take up @AnnS suggestion of contacting 3 to see if they can advise of any issues with the SIM and please don't hesitate to drop us a message on Social Media here 😊