cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Using a pay as you go sim for 30 days to receive the network unlock coge (NUC)

Siriusfire
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi There

When using a pay as you go sim for 30 days to receive the network unlock coge (NUC) - how much do you have to use it?  eg  Do you have to send a text a day, or just one over the whole period? Fo you need to make calls and use data as well?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Some just top up and use the basic payg charges for the 30 days then request the Nuc and dispose of the sim card.

Or indeed buy a BVB.

It's a choice and depends on whether you intend to use the sim to send lots of texts and calls using the included allowances with a BVB or just periodically use the purchased credit to send texts and make calls through the 30 days that Vodafone stipulates @Siriusfire to be able to have a Nuc generated.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

View solution in original position

9 REPLIES 9

BandOfBrothers

There's not a set amount of usage needed @Siriusfire 

Using the sim to make a few calls and texts etc helps latch the sim card and phone's imei to Vodafone systems so that an unlocking code can be requested.

Top up and either use the Credit up making calls etc or choose a Big Value Bundle,  it's upto you.

The only stipulation is that the sim is in the phone for 30 days and active.

Current Phone  >

Thanks very much @BandOfBrothers - useful stuff and I now sort of understand how it works.  I'm obviously trying to do it as cheaply as possible and wondering whether it was worth buying a £10 package - or just pure PAYG with the free sim - it would seem that the latter is more cost effective!

BandOfBrothers

Some just top up and use the basic payg charges for the 30 days then request the Nuc and dispose of the sim card.

Or indeed buy a BVB.

It's a choice and depends on whether you intend to use the sim to send lots of texts and calls using the included allowances with a BVB or just periodically use the purchased credit to send texts and make calls through the 30 days that Vodafone stipulates @Siriusfire to be able to have a Nuc generated.

Current Phone  >

Thanks very much @BandOfBrothers

BandOfBrothers

My pleasure @Siriusfire 

Current Phone  >

That policy is outrageous.  It means that you have to wait 30 days to get your phone unlocked.
Government policy is that switching providers should be quick, easy, costless and transparent.  How does tying me to Vodafone for thirty days meet that policy?

Hi @Kinawley 👋 There is no longer a 30 day usage requirement in order to unlock a phone locked to Vodafone, you can find out the requirements and request to unlock your phone on the link here 😊

Hi, @Andy, thanks for your response.

However, it is completely at odds with my very recent experience.  The thirty days Vodafone SIM is exactly what Vodafone told me directly when I booked a tech expert consultation last week.  It is also exactly what I was told by an online chat technical expert from Vodafone.

So, I'm sorry, you need to check on Vodafone procedures before you tell me that my recent experience is wrong.

Also, the link you provided doesn't work if you have an iPhone locked to the Vodafone network.  If you follow your link you will be told that Vodafone Apple devices are all unlocked, so Vodafone will not send you an NUC.

Vodafone says that other organisations can lock phones to the Vodafone network, without Vodafone being able to unlock them.  However, every third party vendor has given me the same advice as Apple gave me i.e. that Vodafone is the only person who can unlock a phone from the Vodafone network.

Then Vodafone forces the phone owner to buy a Vodafone SIM, wait for thirty days, use the Vodafone SIM regularly before Vodafone will unlock the phone.

Phone networks had to have legislation passed to stop them making network switching a painful and difficult process.  Now networks are required to switch within 72 hours, but companies like Vodafone can effectively prevent people from switching networks by blocking the unlocking of their phones for thirty days.  That's just turning the intent of the legislation on its head.

There is no reason for Vodafone making people wait for thirty days apart from making switching phones to another network a slow, difficult, frustrating, expensive pain.  That's exactly what networks were told not to do with the switching legislation.  But Vodafone has found a loophole to get around the legislation.

Please get your facts lined up before you tell me I'm wrong.

Many thanks for reading down to here. 

:Winking_smiley:

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey there @Kinawley - I can appreciate how frustrating it must be being given contradicting information. If you go through the steps required for unlocking a device on the form Andy provided above, you'll see that we long require the SIM to be in the phone for 30-days. 

In regards to Apple devices, if it seems to not being automatically unlocked then you should be able to Sync it with your iTunes account to unlock it. 

If this has also not allowed you to unlock your device please drop us a message on social media so that we look into this further for you. Make sure to include a link back to thread, your mobile/account number and the IMEI of your device.