cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Lights: power - flashing, internet - off, service - solid orange, use - off)

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
  • Power: Flashing
  • Internet: Off
  • In Service: Solid Orange
  • In Use: Off

This light sequence indicates that the Sure Signal isn’t active and has failed to connect with our network.

Troubleshooting steps:

Wait 24 hours.
It can sometimes take up to 24 hours for the Sure Signal to fully register with the server. Before attempting any of the steps below, please wait 24 hours.

Check for planned maintenance.

Planned maintenance can cause periods of downtime, so check the forum for any planned maintenance. If there is, this will be announced at the top of the Sure Signal forum.

Check that your Sure Signal has registered successfully.
Before your Sure Signal can connect to our network, you need to register it with us.

You’ll receive a text or email to let you know when the registration is complete and your Sure Signal won’t work until you’ve received this message.

To check your Sure Signal is registered, login to My Account and click on the 'My Sure Signal' tab. Your Sure Signal details should be listed, along with the status 'Registered'.

If you’ve not yet registered your Sure Signal, you can do this directly from the My Sure Signal page in My Account.

If you’re a Business customer, please register at our Business Sure Signal page.

Check the physical connection between your Sure Signal and the router/modem.

In order to work, the Sure Signal needs to be connected to a spare Ethernet port on your router or modem, or a Hub/Switch that is connected to an internet gateway.

In some cases, it’s possible for an Ethernet cable to be faulty, in which case it may not allow your router and Sure Signal to talk to each other.

To verify that the Ethernet cable works, check the lights at the back of your Sure Signal where the cable is plugged in.

There should be a link light on permanently which indicates that an electrical circuit has been established through the cable.

There should also be a light which flashes whenever data is being passed through the cable. If either the data light or the link light do not come on, this could indicate a problem with the cable itself. Please try a spare cable, or plug the cable into a different port on your router/modem.

Check that you’ve got an active internet connection.
Make sure you can connect to the internet on another device, such as your PC or phone. If you can’t connect, this indicates a problem with your router or your Internet Service Provider (ISP).

We recommend rebooting the router to see if this then allows you to connect to the internet.

Reboot your router/modem.

1. Turn off your router or modem at the wall for 10 seconds and then turn it back on
  2. Wait for the lights on your modem/router to indicate that an internet connection has been established
  3. Press the reset button on the Sure Signal

Check that your Sure Signal has been assigned an internal IP address by your router.

The Sure Signal must be assigned an internal IP address by your router. If your router supports DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol), this must be enabled as doing so will enable the router to assign an IP address to your Sure Signal automatically.

For more instructions on how to do this, please check your router manual or contact your ISP or router manufacturer.

If your router or network configuration doesn’t allow DHCP, you’ll need to assign a static IP address to your Sure Signal's MAC Address by using your router's configuration panel. Please contact your ISP or router manufacturer for instructions on how to do this. The MAC address can be found on the sticker at the back of the Sure Signal.

Manually configure your router to allow port-forwarding.
In most cases, routers support a system called Universal Plug-n-Play (UPnP), which sets up port-forwarding for you automatically. If you’ve got a complicated network setup, or a complex router, you may need to enter these settings manually.

Please see the following for a list of IP addresses and port numbers that need to be forwarded to your Sure Signal's internal IP address. For instructions on how to do this, we recommend you contact your ISP or Router Manufacturer, or refer to the default guide for your particular make and model, over at http://portforward.com.

Destination IP Addresses:

• 212.183.131.128/26

Ports and Protocols:

• 8 – TCP/UDP                 (All routers)
  • 50 – TCP/UDP               (All routers)
  • 53 – TCP/UDP               (Virgin Super Hubs)
  • 67 – UDP                      (Virgin Super Hubs)                                                    
  • 68 – UDP                      (Virgin Super Hubs)                                        
  • 123 – UDP                    (All routers)     
  • 500 – UDP                    (All routers)     
  • 1723 – TCP/UDP           (BT Home Hubs)          
  • 4500 – UDP                   (All routers)     
  • 33434 – 33445 – UDP    (Virgin Super Hubs)

Please note that in the above list of IP addresses, the notation "212.183.131.128/26" means the complete range of IP addresses between 212.183.131.128 and 212.183.131.191.

Your router also needs to assign the Sure Signal with a DNS (Domain Name Server) address via DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol).

Check your MTU settings.

Log into your router admin page and find the location of the MTU field. This varies depending on the make and model so you’ll need to look for it.

Change the value of the MTU size to 1500.

Log out of the router, this will usually result in a reboot.

Perform a reset of the Sure Signal:

1. Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports
  2. Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds
  3. Once the lights come back on, release the button

Post your router/ISP details and Sure Signal serial number.

If you’ve done all of the above, or you’re struggling with configuring your router, please post your router's make and model number below. Please also include your Sure Signal serial number and the name of your ISP.

We find that other users of the same router will usually be able to share tips with you, to get things working.

We’ll also attempt to help with this, but due to the number of different manufacturers and models, it is not always possible. We don’t officially support any form of router configuration, so we’ll always recommend contacting your router manufacturer or ISP for assistance first.

Thanks, 

Jenny

112 REPLIES 112

eyeman63
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi Lee

Please could you help me install my VSS.  I have followed the instructions on port forwarding and left the VSS for 24 hours but I am still getting a flashing power light and solid orange service light.  I have tried pushing the reset button but I still get the same result.  I have also taken the VSS to work where it just connects with no problem.

I am using a Netgear DG834 router

VSS SN  40130432517

ISP Tiscali

Speed Test results  5.47 Mbs Upload  0.36 Mbs Download

Ping 20ms  Jitter  1 ms

External IP 88.108.175.91

trace test results

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  www.routerlogin.com [192.168.0.1]
  2    12 ms    11 ms    11 ms  88-108-160-1.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com [88.108.160.1]
  3    40 ms    19 ms    20 ms  80.40.155.118
  4    20 ms    20 ms    19 ms  80.40.155.111
  5    20 ms    20 ms    20 ms  xe-8-3-0.bragg001.log.as13285.net [80.40.155.33]
  6    17 ms    20 ms    18 ms  xe-5-3-0.scr001.log.as13285.net [80.40.155.50]
  7    17 ms    17 ms    17 ms  host-78-144-0-174.as13285.net [78.144.0.174]
  8    21 ms    18 ms    19 ms  LDNGW1.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.209]
  9    19 ms    18 ms    18 ms  85.205.116.6
 10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 20     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 21     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 22     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 23     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 24     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 25     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 26     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 27     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 28     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 29     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Trace complete.

Many thanks

Mark

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Mark,

Thanks for getting back to us. I’ve checked your sure signal and this hasn’t connected since 15/03/2013.

I’ve therefore performed resync for you today. Please complete this process by carrying out another factory reset as follows:

-Hold in the reset button until all the lights go solid

-Pull the power lead out with the reset button still pushed in

-Continue to hold down the reset button and reconnect the power lead

-Wait for all of the lights to come on then release the reset button

Let me know how you get on. :Smiling:

Thanks,

Jenny

Hi Jenny

I've done the reset and left it for 24 hours but I've still got the same error lights.  (Flashing red power and solid orange service.)

I noticed from another post that someone had pinged their VSS and got a reply.  When I pinged mine all the packets got lost, does this mean I haven't configured my router correctly as I thought?

Mark

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi eyeman63,

Thanks for getting back to us.

It sounds like this may be a setup issue so please can you firstly double check that your Sure Signal has been assigned an IP address by your router?

Secondly, please can you post your ping results so that we can see where the packets are lost?

Thanks,

Jenny

Hi Jenny

I have checked the router and the VSS has definitley been assigned an IP address.

How did you want me to ping the router to get more information? When I use the ping command it only say that the packets are lost not where they are lost.

Mark

Hi Mark, 

Below are the steps you need to follow next:

Check that your Sure Signal has been registered successfully.
Before your Sure Signal can connect to our network, you must have first registered it with us. You will have received a message via text or email to let you know when the registration has completed successfully. Your Sure Signal will not work until you have recieved this confirmation message.

To verify that your Sure Signal has been registered, login to My Account, and click on the My Sure Signal tab. Your Sure Signal details should be listed, along with the status "Registered".

If you have not registered your Sure Signal, and are a Business Customer, please register at our Business Sure Signal page.
If you're a Consumer Customer, you can register directly from within the My Sure Signal page in My Account.

Check the physical connection between your Sure Signal and your Router/Modem.
In order to function, the Sure Signal needs to be connected to a spare ethernet port on your Router or Modem (or a Hub/Switch that is in turn connected to an Internet Gateway.) In some cases it is possible for an ethernet cable to be faulty, in which case it may not allow your Router and Sure Signal to talk to each other.

To verify the ethernet cable works, check the lights at the back of your Sure Signal, where the cable is plugged in. There should be a Link light which is on permanently to indicate that an electrical circuit has been established through the cable. There should also be a light which flashes whenever data is being passed through the cable. If either the data light or the link light do not come on, this could indicate a problem with the cable itself. Please try a spare cable, or plugging the cable into a different port on your Router / Modem.

Check that you have an active Internet connection.
Make sure you are currently able to connect to the internet on another device, such as your PC, or a Wi-Fi enabled phone. If you are not able to make an internet connection, this indicates a problem with your Router or your Internet Service Provider. We recommend rebooting the Router to see if this then allows you to connect to the internet.

Reboot your Router / Modem
Turn off your Router or Modem at the wall for 10 seconds, then turn it back on. Wait for the lights on your Modem/Router to indicate an internet connection has been established, and then press the Reset button on the Sure Signal.

Check that your Sure Signal has been assigned an internal IP address by your Router
In order to connect to your network and the Internet, the Sure Signal must be assigned an internal IP address by your Router. If your Router supports DHCP, this must be enabled. Doing so will enable the Router to assign an IP address to your Sure Signal automatically.
For detailed instructions on how to enable this, please consult your Router manual, or contact your ISP or Router Manufacturer.

If your Router or network configuration does not allow DHCP, then you will need to assign a static IP address to your Sure Signal's MAC Address, using your Router's configuration panel. Please consult your ISP or Router Manufacturer for instructions on how to do this. The MAC address can be found on the sticker at the back of the Sure Signal unit.

Manually configure your Router to allow port-forwarding.
In most cases, routers support a system called "Universal Plug-n-Play" or UPnP, which will setup port-forwarding for you automatically. If you have a complicated network setup, or a complex router, you may be required to enter these settings in manually.

The following details list the IP addresses and Port Numbers that need to be forwarded to your Sure Signal's internal IP address. For detailed instructions on how to do this, we recommend either contacting your ISP or Router Manufacturer, or referring to the Default Guide for your particular make and model, over at http://portforward.com

Destination IP Addresses:
212.183.131.128/26

Ports and Protocols:
Port 50 - TCP/IP
Port 4500 - UDP
Port 500 - UDP
Port 123 - UDP

Port 8 - TCP/IP

Port 1723 (BT Customers only) - TCP/UDP

Please note that in the above list of IP addresses, the notation "212.183.131.128/26" means the complete range of IP addresses between 212.183.131.128 and 212.183.131.191

Your Router will also need to be able to assign the Sure Signal with a DNS Server address via DHCP.

Check your MTU settings

Find the location of the MTU field. This varies depending on the make and model of router so you’ll need to hunt around for it.

Change the value of the MTU size to 1500

Log out of the router, this will usually result in a reboot.

• Perform hard rest of the VSS unit by
  • Hold in the reset button until all the light go solid
  • Pull the power lead out with the reset button still pushed in
  • Continue to hold down the reset button and reconnect the power lead
  • Wait for all of the lights to come on then release the reset button

The VSS will now try to contact the network and download its profile. This may take anything up to 6 hours.

Can you check the above (I'm sorry there's quite a lot of it!) and let me know how you get on? 

Paul

This is exactly the same as I was ask to do at the very begining and it was completely useless.  I have done all of this and I still have a flashing red light and a solid orange service light. I was then asked to rest my VSS and wait another 24 hours. I did that and I still have the same error code.

Where do we go from here?

Hi Mark

Are you able to try the Sure Signal (VSS) in a different location e.g. at a friend or family member’s house? Once the set up has completed, if the VSS works, then this would suggest that there’s something with your home set up that’s preventing the VSS from connecting to our network.

If it fails to work in the new location, it points to the VSS being faulty and you’d need to look at sending it for a repair.

Thanks

Andrew

As I mentioned in an earlier reply I have already tried the VSS at work and it works fine.

Mark