Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Moving eSim to new iPhone

vgopal
4: Newbie

Does anyone here or know or someone from Vodafone explain the correct process for moving an existing eSim from an iPhone to a new iPhone.

I suspect with the new phone being released soon many people will be in the same situation and I want to avoid any potential issues and be stuck without service.

116 REPLIES 116

simax
14: Advanced member

Yes I’d like to know this as well.

Also, I kept the old physical sim - “just in case”. Can this be reactivated if it all goes Pete Tong?

voodoofish

I'm keen to understand this too - I asked on Twitter and they said you can just use the sim eject tool 😩

I tried to switch back to a SIM in a store, buy they said I have to order one over chat online - I did that on Monday but the SIM still hasn't come in the post so I'm starting to get a bit worried about tomorrow.

I don't think any MNO in the UK currently supports transferring via iCloud (at the moment).

I'm pretty sure that the QR code can only be used once unless you're with O2 who allow you to use it up to 5 times but only on the same device,

You'd need to follow the process to request a new eSIM via the App or the Vodafone Website which *shouldn't* take too long. 

I say the above cautiously,  tomorrow will be the first big test of the system, other than launch day.

As before you'd need to be able to get the authentication SMS and a new QR code will be generated and emailed to you as it was originally.

donnyguy
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

So long as you don't delete the current eSim profile on your existing phone before generating the QR code for the new phone then you should be OK right? 

You just need the existing eSim to be live and active to be able to receive a verification code as part of the swap process. From there you're good to go. 

So think people have fallen foul when they've deleted their eSim profile for whatever reason and were wanting to generate it for the same phone again but having nowhere for their verification code to go.

As I understand the process, yes.

As long as the old eSIM is active and you can receive SMS then you'd be able to get a new QR code.

Unfortunately I only ordered mine on the 17th from another retailer so won't be able to confirm in 2 weeks when it arrives/there's more stock.

I have 2 phones, 1 for work and 1 for personal use, am waiting on the Pro Max model for my personal phone so I'll end up doing it twice.

Kris_forum

I had problems swapping sims. Kept the old esim open on the phone. Then requested a new esim in the app. System shut off the old one. Usually pdf takes 2 mins to generate this time has been quite some hours. Can confirm there is no iCloud option to migrate the esim across devices. 

simax

Mine was quite straightforward. Once I’d updated the new iPhone 12 to iOS 14.2 Beta (as my backup wouldn’t go onto phone unless I did that) I then requested a new e-sim via the app (no text verification was needed). Email received within 2 minutes and then I entered the e-sim code manually into the new phone (QR code didn’t work for some reason). Everything all done quickly and with no issues at all.

Now to try and get the iPhone 12 Pro unlocked now so I can use my EE work sim in it too lol

@kris,

Did you manage to resolve your eSIM issue?

No. Unfortunately no email pdf never arrived.