Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Series 4 Apple Watch Cellular doesn’t work

Nsjmurray
4: Newbie

So, in typical Vodafone fashion they have come out with a new feature and product that doesn’t work at launch - in-fact it does several unannounced and unauthorised credit checks.

So I received my brand new iPhone and Apple Watch today and I have to admit, they look fantastic, after opening the iPhone box and just seeing the magnificence that is the phone I am definitely happy with my purchase.

I open up the oddly packaged watch box and start to set it up, everything is fine except for when I got to the mobile data setup section- at first it looked promising a Vodafone log-in screen, “Awesome” I thought, so I logged in and all of a sudden it was asking me to add a subscription for £5 per month.. I thought this was strange as I was already paying for the watch now you’re trying to charge me more for a subscription, I knew it seems to be a mistake so I just glanced at the terms, it seemed normal just about linking them together so it made sense, I went ahead and clicked add subscription knowing that I would just call Vodafone and explain the situation if they tried to charge me more.

Anyway, it shows me a loading screen and I’m simply waiting for it to complete the link between my devices.

After a short while it went to a blank white screen and then... what’s this... I HAVE FAILED A CREDIT CHECK AND I HAVENT BEEN CHARGED?!?!?

So not only did it fail.. Vodafone has performed a credit check, without authorisation just to link it to my existing plan that I was already credit checked on?

Good one Vodafone, will be returning the watch and the device and leaving the network for good, this is the final straw, I’ve had nothing but trouble with you for 7 years and I’ve stuck by you, but you just cannot get anything right first time, EVER.

wondering if anyone else had this happen to them.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nsjmurray
4: Newbie

Hi everyone,

OP here, I can’t believe this issue is still effecting some people, I get emails almost daily about updates for this, it’s crazy to think it still hasn’t been sorted for everyone.

i can now finally say all of my issues are resolved and everything is working fine, you have to be persistent and contact the directors team, standard help from the tech team does not work.

Contact Nick Jeffries team and hopefully you will get I resolved like I did.

View solution in original position

1,336 REPLIES 1,336

chistery
16: Advanced member

I think this is why, it is persistent between uses.

https://www.macobserver.com/tips/quick-tip/airplane-mode-ios-11/

I usually have my airpods on when in flight mode so it remembers it.

Been instore again today. Still no further. initially the girl gave me the "what do you want me to do everything is right" until i stated can we go through everything again because otherwise ill give the watch back now. she then started being more helpful.

She got intouch with tech support again who we'rent listening to her. stating I NEED to pay the £5 a month (despite the fact she confirmed from their training resource "FUSE" that you should only be paying the £5 a month if you got the watch NOT directly from vodafone) so again we tried. and got the "Failed credit check" response. She stated that shes really sorry she doesnt know what else they can do.

I can empathise somewhat with vodafone as I know what apple are like. everything has to be on their terms and seemingly they have dropped it on them and given them no support on what to do if it goes wrong. it is new technology for vodafone afterall.

I rung apple support who stated everything is right on there end. Vodafone saying everything is right on their end. they have the correct EID number. It does however say in the "My watch" app settings, (Not the carrier bit) under "Reset" an option for "Remove all carrier details" and underneith states that although it wouldnt cancel the subscription we would have to contact the carrier to re-enrol the service.

But again another hour wasted instore. I may just ride it out and see what comes of it.

Update: 

Progress!

I now have a second number added on my Vodafone online account and when a friend rings it, it comes straight through to my Watch and the calls are fine.

Also, the Apple Watch app now recognises that I have a valid data plan and the cellular Apple Watch icon is now a white colour on the watch. 

However, my main iPhone number is not diverting to the Watch and the Watch is not independent to make calls on its own or access data. Weirdly though, ringing the Watch number does work.

Ive just noticed something.

So currently been on chat for well over an hour again. Been passed to 3-4 different people. this latest one doesnt seem to listen to what im telling him.

I look on the site which has been updated with new prices and it states this:

Already have an Apple Watch Series 3 or Series 4?

It can be linked to your existing Vodafone iPhone plan for just £5 a month (free for the first 6 months).

So AFAIK. my account is thinking i already had the watch and that the data plan isnt included. therefor is asking me to subscribe. I then guess that its failing the check as its running the background checks and seeing its already

on the account.

Colleen
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Benw18 I'm really sorry to hear about the experience you've had in store. So we can access your account and check everything has been set up correctly, please get in touch using the details I've sent you in a private message. We'll then be able to discuss this with you further 😊

@jeffacus@Splloyd94@ttt0mm Thanks for sending me your reference numbers - I've escalated these and you'll hear from a member of our team as soon as possible.

@SimonTurp I understand you've already spoken with us via email. I've escalated your reference number also and we'll be back in touch soon. 

@Thebeanie Have you been able to get in touch via the details I sent you in a private message? If so, please let us know your email reference number we'll have sent you in an automated reply - it looks something like this [#12345678]. We'll then be able to help you further. 

[#19591017]

@coleen.

I can only presume its because for some reason it thinks i bought the watch elsewhere instead of pre-ordering it via vodafone. maybe this is a settting that needs to be looked at

Leads me to think its a pre-ordering issue.

chistery

In Vodafone's defence here, EE had a pretty bad time last year when they launched the Apple Watch too. Apple and their NDAs will have meant very few people at Vodafone knew what was going on before the launch.

Friday has to the worst day to do a product launch like this, right before a weekend.

The level of service we're getting from customer support is just the usual standard, so that shouldn't be a surprise either. They can't even do the basics most of the time, so a new product like this means they will be out of their depth on trying to help whilst ensuring the customer satisfaction scores don't drop.

I'm sure things will improve, like better help pages online, and improved product knowledge and tomorrow the normal weekday staff will be back as well, which may help too.

Good luck with everyone still trying to activate their data plans!

@Colleen I have filled out the form, ref #19290793

@BenJ

The watch won’t access cellular on its own if it’s near the iPhone (on) it will stay white if iPhone is on flightmode or off the Watch should go green cellular meaning it’s accessing data... as for it ringing when main number is called as I said for me it’s hit and miss was 5/7 times I tried it worked the other 2 hit voice mail but my phone was in flightmode not tried it with phone on as well will run some tests  try with your phone in flightmode now make sure Watch isn’t tho and let me know 

chistery

What's this 60GB plan? I've not got anything mentioning that?