Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Series 4 Apple Watch Cellular doesn’t work

Nsjmurray
4: Newbie

So, in typical Vodafone fashion they have come out with a new feature and product that doesn’t work at launch - in-fact it does several unannounced and unauthorised credit checks.

So I received my brand new iPhone and Apple Watch today and I have to admit, they look fantastic, after opening the iPhone box and just seeing the magnificence that is the phone I am definitely happy with my purchase.

I open up the oddly packaged watch box and start to set it up, everything is fine except for when I got to the mobile data setup section- at first it looked promising a Vodafone log-in screen, “Awesome” I thought, so I logged in and all of a sudden it was asking me to add a subscription for £5 per month.. I thought this was strange as I was already paying for the watch now you’re trying to charge me more for a subscription, I knew it seems to be a mistake so I just glanced at the terms, it seemed normal just about linking them together so it made sense, I went ahead and clicked add subscription knowing that I would just call Vodafone and explain the situation if they tried to charge me more.

Anyway, it shows me a loading screen and I’m simply waiting for it to complete the link between my devices.

After a short while it went to a blank white screen and then... what’s this... I HAVE FAILED A CREDIT CHECK AND I HAVENT BEEN CHARGED?!?!?

So not only did it fail.. Vodafone has performed a credit check, without authorisation just to link it to my existing plan that I was already credit checked on?

Good one Vodafone, will be returning the watch and the device and leaving the network for good, this is the final straw, I’ve had nothing but trouble with you for 7 years and I’ve stuck by you, but you just cannot get anything right first time, EVER.

wondering if anyone else had this happen to them.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nsjmurray
4: Newbie

Hi everyone,

OP here, I can’t believe this issue is still effecting some people, I get emails almost daily about updates for this, it’s crazy to think it still hasn’t been sorted for everyone.

i can now finally say all of my issues are resolved and everything is working fine, you have to be persistent and contact the directors team, standard help from the tech team does not work.

Contact Nick Jeffries team and hopefully you will get I resolved like I did.

View solution in original position

1,336 REPLIES 1,336

@beyre83 wrote:

what I did when I got mine working 2nd line has to show in Vodafone account online  was I unpaired my watch turned it off waited 2 hrs  then repaired it and it picked up my data plan and has been working since no worries....

Didn’t get mine working 

The EID was linked to my account yesterday by my local store, he also checked that the number had be activated and was linked to my phone account,  it’s been updating since then, but still no cellular signal - I’ve also activated WiFi calling, 4g, etc, etc, but it still isn’t working, yet.  Another trip to my local stores technical assistant, who was excellent.  I’m sure it will eventually be sorted, but will VF compensate us for the inconvenience - I suspect not.  If it doesn’t get sorted by the end of Mondayill put in a complaint to Offcom - I’m certainly not about to ring a VF call center and be left on hold for hours - I have rather more important things to do.

@Andudz wrote:

I spoke to a manager yesterday who told me that they are aware of problem now and working with Apple to fix and although they expect to be sooner they guarantee will be solved by 15th October . All customers effected will be offered compensation. If this is true remains to be seen but I was told definitely would be 

It's not an apple issue ##~##

They've sent a message to all the managers of vodafone stores of what happened and why and how to fix it.

But it's not an apple issue it's entirely on Vodafone 

Apple Watch 4 is brilliant. As is IPhone Xsmax

if you keep the two together all works fine

However, try using the watch on its own, using cellular, then this is where your problems will start.

Apple have designed wonderful tools,why can’t Vodaphone get them to work ?

Not one of the telephone advisors for Vodaphone, nor Vodaphone store employees has any idea about how to set up the Apple Watch series 4 to run off cellular.

Instead of coming clean, admitting they have no useful training, I was met with one fob off after another.

Examples.

“We will send a code through the post to activate the cellular watch” - nonsense ! Wait a week and find no “scratch off” card has arrived ! 

“You will have to back to the store to correct wrong inputting”. Why ?

So I go to the store ( 2nd time), staff have no idea what to do. They get onto the “chat line”, and tell me I must wait to sort it out ! Why ? 

I leave telling them to phone phone me on my mobile. I wait. Same story. They have now sent an “internal” message to another department and this will take another 72hrs ( but only when Monday comes as nobody from that dept works weekends !

My interpretation of all this is the staff have had no training.

This I can understand. But fobbing customers off with things like a ‘scratch card” in the post, or “you will have to go the store” is not acceptable.

NApple Watch 4 is brilliant. As is IPhone Xsmax

if you keep the two together all works fine

However, try using the watch on its own, using cellular, then this is where your problems will start.

Apple have designed wonderful tools,why can’t Vodaphone get them to work ?

Not one of the telephone advisors for Vodaphone, nor Vodaphone store employees has any idea about how to set up the Apple Watch series 4 to run off cellular.

Instead of coming clean, admitting they have no useful training, I was met with one fob off after another.

Examples.

“We will send a code through the post to activate the cellular watch” - nonsense ! Wait a week and find no “scratch off” card has arrived ! 

“You will have to back to the store to correct wrong inputting”. Why ?

So I go to the store ( 2nd time), staff have no idea what to do. They get onto the “chat line”, and tell me I must wait to sort it out ! Why ? 

I leave telling them to phone phone me on my mobile. I wait. Same story. They have now sent an “internal” message to another department and this will take another 72hrs ( but only when Monday comes as nobody from that dept works weekends !

My interpretation of all this is the staff have had no training.

This I can understand. But fobbing customers off with things like a ‘scratch card” in the post, or “you will have to go the store” is not acceptable.

When Vodafone do finally get it working it’s awesome.

when I was playing football the other night, I left my phone at home.  My partner needed to call me about the kids, she could.  My team mates wanted to know the champions league scores - I asked my watch and it read them all back to me.

I ended up with £120 compensation.

Hi. You do not have to be on CTR14 watches work on CRT12 and upwards. Be careful they are trying to get people to pay more!

So there’s been some progress on my issue. A carrier update came down and my “Mobile Data” status has changed from “Waiting” to “Not In Use”!

Don’t know whether to laugh, or cry at this point.

So it looks like I’m 90% there!

The watch app shows two plans. One is “Not In Use”, but there is another. When I go outside without my phone I can make calls, use Siri. The watches Mobile Data section shows a Plan of “vodafone UK” and status of “Connected”. The only issue is the second plan with a status of “Not In Use”.

Of course I’ve had a fully working watch twice before in the past 14 days only to find the plan switch to “Not In Use” a few days later. Fingers crossed that won’t happen this time.

@rasputin1969 wrote:

So it looks like I’m 90% there!

The watch app shows two plans. One is “Not In Use”, but there is another. When I go outside without my phone I can make calls, use Siri. The watches Mobile Data section shows a Plan of “vodafone UK” and status of “Connected”. The only issue is the second plan with a status of “Not In Use”.

Of course I’ve had a fully working watch twice before in the past 14 days only to find the plan switch to “Not In Use” a few days later. Fingers crossed that won’t happen this time.

does your watch show it has a sim? as mine shows no sim and they are puzzled by this, and activating esim does nothing