main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

iOS

Series 4 Apple Watch Cellular doesn’t work

SOLVED
View solved solution
3: Seeker

Update:

 

I called Vodafone this morning and they advised me to go into a store.

 

I spent an hour in store and they processed the mobile data order via their system but nothing yet.

 

The Vodafone data plan still says ‘waiting’ in the Apple Watch app.

 

I was advised to go home and wait two hours for the cellular plan to activate.

 

I’ll update if it works or not.

View more options
4: Newbie

Chistery I have tested text messages on both numbers and your right regular texts don’t come through... not sure if this is a as designed operation... or not?

View more options
4: Newbie

@Odinn74 wrote:

Mines showing 60gb not sure what that’s about


The watch plan has 60GB extra data.

 

atleast that’s what I was told, not that i am able to reap the benefits at the minute.

View more options
Moderator

@jeffacus@ttt0mm Thanks for letting us know you've got in touch via the details in the private message we sent you 😊 You should've received an automated response in your email inbox, with a reference number which looks something like this [#12345678]. Could you please check this and let us know your references? Please also check your spam/junk inbox in case the automated reply was directed there. 

@Splloyd94@sorinc03 Have you been able to complete the online form via the private message?  This will allow you to send your details to us, so we can contact you directly. If so, please let us know your reference number as mentioned above and we'll get someone to pick this up 👍

@MikeBuzz It's really disappointing to hear about the experience you've had getting everything set up and I'm sorry for the frustration caused. So we can take a closer look into everything that's happened and ensure this gets sorted, I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch with our team 😊

 

View more options
4: Newbie

@Chistery taken from apples website

 

To send and receive SMS/MMS from cellular models of Apple Watch, your paired iPhone must be powered on and connected to Wi-Fi or cellular, but your iPhone doesn’t need to be nearby.

Even if your iPhone isn’t connected or powered on, you can send and receive iMessages on your Apple Watch when your Apple Watch is connected to Wi-Fi or cellular.

 

So yeah iPhone needs to be on and connected to WiFi or cellular but Apple Watch doesn’t need to be nearby try that might have to go outside out of range of wifi and phone so Watch is on 4G and then make a regular text from another device do you then get regular text messages 

View more options
4: Newbie

Likewise position to many others here. Received IPhone X S Max (as an upgrade) on Friday along with the Apple Watch Series 4. 

 

Initially gobsmacked that Vodafone delivered on launch day - credit to them for that. 

 

Thats however where the credit ends... as ever, Vodafone always have a sting in the tail. 

 

Since Friday I have been speaking to customer services (191) several times, even popped in to my local store yesterday. Nobody seems to have a ‘straight answer’, the most common I am getting is that the order is still ‘Open’ and requires a super-user to manually check the order and complete it... Everytime the now famous line of “this may take up to 24 hours” is used. 

 

Lets get this very straight Vodafone - as a customer I don’t care if the order is open, closed or indifferent. Get it sorted! Train your staff to a sufficient technical level who have the ability to resolve these issues. This is NOT new technology it has been around for several years - you are late adopting it and implementing it (very poorly). 

 

I shouldn’t be wasting my time contacting various locations around the world who are purely seeking ‘positive feedback’ from the customer and making false promises. Why can’t someone put their hand up and admit that you have failed to deliver, put a timescale on the resolution and actually make an effort to redeem your sorry excuse for customer service. I don’t want compensation or a free wireless charger, I want the product I purchased in good faith to work as advertised. 

 

The lack of customer support is nothing but a shambles and needs urgent attention. How you retain customers is beyond me - there again, I was the fool who committed to another 24 months with you... for now anyway, maybe I should instigate the 30 day network guarantee clause and see if that is also as advertised? 

 

Nobody wants to be wasting their precious time dealing with what in reality is trivial, but you need to pull your fingers out and stop lying to your customers whether old or new. 

View more options
4: Newbie

Hi @colleen. 

 

Its here. 19589207

Cheers

 

jeff

View more options
4: Newbie

FINALLY, the open order is now complete.

 

but that’s not the end of my issues.

 

The data plan has activated on the watch successfully, however calls cannot he received on my mobile number when my phone is switched off. Calls made from the watch are under a separate number, which is not supposed to happen as it’s supposed to link in with your current number.

 

I called tech support who told me that Apple have told them the watch will not work if the phone is switched off..... what a load of ##~##. He said he cannot help me and I should call AppleCare. I have spoken to my case handler in apple care who will firstly be filing a report about Vodafone and assured me the watch is supposedly to work without the phone (I knew this already!) if they set it up correctly.

 

Vodafone are absolutely terrible. I would advise anyone with issues to let AppleCare on the phone know so they can file a report about Vodafone, as they are partners with Apple.

 

oh and strangely I got an email back from the people who work on this forum and was told Vodafone do not yet support the cellular functions on the Apple Watch.... why are you retailing it as if you do then?

 

the issues continue....

View more options
4: Newbie

@colleen I have gotten in touch through the link you sent reference #19588774

View more options
4: Newbie

@colleen ref is 

19590635

 

cheers

View more options
4: Newbie

@SimonTurp

i just put my iPhone on flight mode waited for Watch to pickup cellular made a call to my partner and it came up as my iPhone number not the watch number maybe it takes some time for the one number to work? but for regular text messages read my comment above about that that’s from Apple direct 

 

p.s with iPhone in flight mode, I rang my iPhone number 7 times of which my watch got a call 5/7 times so it’s not perfect but it does work

View more options
4: Newbie

@SimonTurp wrote:

FINALLY, the open order is now complete.

 

but that’s not the end of my issues.

 

The data plan has activated on the watch successfully, however calls cannot he received on my mobile number when my phone is switched off. Calls made from the watch are under a separate number, which is not supposed to happen as it’s supposed to link in with your current number.

 

I called tech support who told me that Apple have told them the watch will not work if the phone is switched off..... what a load of ##~##. He said he cannot help me and I should call AppleCare. I have spoken to my case handler in apple care who will firstly be filing a report about Vodafone and assured me the watch is supposedly to work without the phone (I knew this already!) if they set it up correctly.

 

Vodafone are absolutely terrible. I would advise anyone with issues to let AppleCare on the phone know so they can file a report about Vodafone, as they are partners with Apple.

 

oh and strangely I got an email back from the people who work on this forum and was told Vodafone do not yet support the cellular functions on the Apple Watch.... why are you retailing it as if you do then?

 

the issues continue....


Vodafone are actually correct here, the phone does need to be on for cellular to work in the watch.

 

you can be miles away from it but if it’s turned off you won’t get cellular.

 

also it is correct for you to have a secondary number, that is how it works.

View more options
4: Newbie

@NSJmurray well my phone was on flightmode so no WiFi, No Cellular, No Bluetooth and I could make and receive calls on my watch from my iPhone number even tho I have a separate number on my watch plan what you can’t do is receive sms/mms if your iPhone is off/flight mode as it needs to be on for sms to hit Watch... but not near iMessages work just fine if phone is off/flightmode tho 

View more options
13: Advanced Member

That makes sense, @beyre83, thanks.

If the phone had to be on for celluar to work, there wouldn't be much point in having a cellular watch.

I probably won't continue with  the plan after 6 months. I use gmail and Google Music mostly, neither of which work with just the watch. I also don't agree with paying £5 to use data I already pay for.

View more options
4: Newbie

@Nsjmurray wrote:

@SimonTurp wrote:

FINALLY, the open order is now complete.

 

but that’s not the end of my issues.

 

The data plan has activated on the watch successfully, however calls cannot he received on my mobile number when my phone is switched off. Calls made from the watch are under a separate number, which is not supposed to happen as it’s supposed to link in with your current number.

 

I called tech support who told me that Apple have told them the watch will not work if the phone is switched off..... what a load of ##~##. He said he cannot help me and I should call AppleCare. I have spoken to my case handler in apple care who will firstly be filing a report about Vodafone and assured me the watch is supposedly to work without the phone (I knew this already!) if they set it up correctly.

 

Vodafone are absolutely terrible. I would advise anyone with issues to let AppleCare on the phone know so they can file a report about Vodafone, as they are partners with Apple.

 

oh and strangely I got an email back from the people who work on this forum and was told Vodafone do not yet support the cellular functions on the Apple Watch.... why are you retailing it as if you do then?

 

the issues continue....


Vodafone are actually correct here, the phone does need to be on for cellular to work in the watch.

 

you can be miles away from it but if it’s turned off you won’t get cellular.

 

also it is correct for you to have a secondary number, that is how it works.


They're not correct... Apple have advised if set up correctly then incoming calls to your phone number should work no matter if the phone is on or off. You are also correct the Watch does have a secondary number assigned however the Caller ID should be set to your primary number so any outgoing calls show up as your standard number. This is confirmed by both Vodafone & Apple, hence the whole "Vodafone OneNumber". Also other people on the forum have been able to do this fine. I even turned off Bluetooth and WiFi on the phone and called it and only the phone recieved the call not the watch, even though the watch had full cellular connectivity.

 

Vodafone have messed up big time here.

View more options
4: Newbie

I would still try flightmode so no cellular on iPhone either then calling your number with only watch on cellular let me know might take a couple of goes as I say it worked 5/7 times I rang my number with phone essentially off that it go to the watch 

View more options
4: Newbie

@SimonTurp wrote:

@Nsjmurray wrote:

@SimonTurp wrote:

FINALLY, the open order is now complete.

 

but that’s not the end of my issues.

 

The data plan has activated on the watch successfully, however calls cannot he received on my mobile number when my phone is switched off. Calls made from the watch are under a separate number, which is not supposed to happen as it’s supposed to link in with your current number.

 

I called tech support who told me that Apple have told them the watch will not work if the phone is switched off..... what a load of ##~##. He said he cannot help me and I should call AppleCare. I have spoken to my case handler in apple care who will firstly be filing a report about Vodafone and assured me the watch is supposedly to work without the phone (I knew this already!) if they set it up correctly.

 

Vodafone are absolutely terrible. I would advise anyone with issues to let AppleCare on the phone know so they can file a report about Vodafone, as they are partners with Apple.

 

oh and strangely I got an email back from the people who work on this forum and was told Vodafone do not yet support the cellular functions on the Apple Watch.... why are you retailing it as if you do then?

 

the issues continue....


Vodafone are actually correct here, the phone does need to be on for cellular to work in the watch.

 

you can be miles away from it but if it’s turned off you won’t get cellular.

 

also it is correct for you to have a secondary number, that is how it works.


They're not correct... Apple have advised if set up correctly then incoming calls to your phone number should work no matter if the phone is on or off. You are also correct the Watch does have a secondary number assigned however the Caller ID should be set to your primary number so any outgoing calls show up as your standard number. This is confirmed by both Vodafone & Apple, hence the whole "Vodafone OneNumber". Also other people on the forum have been able to do this fine. I even turned off Bluetooth and WiFi on the phone and called it and only the phone recieved the call not the watch, even though the watch had full cellular connectivity.

 

Vodafone have messed up big time here.


I don’t dispute that they have messed up as I started this thread for that reason.

 

lots of misinformation being thrown around here and unfortunately we just have to wait and see at this point.

View more options
4: Newbie

@beyre83 wrote:

I would still try flightmode so no cellular on iPhone either then calling your number with only watch on cellular let me know might take a couple of goes as I say it worked 5/7 times I rang my number with phone essentially off that it go to the watch 


Did already try this So maybe they didn't link correctly. On the phone to Vodafone but they seem clueless and still saying that they do not support cellular on any apple watch lol! Tech support managers say they have no information or diagnostics they can do as it is not supported...

View more options
13: Advanced Member

Just make sure that your watch is not in fligthmode, as setting it on your phone can set your watch too, if you have it enabled to match your phone in the settings.

With my phone in flightmode, the watch is still showing a green phone symbol, and calls go to voicemail. Only turning off bluetooth on my phone (as flightmode leaves it enabled) does my watch show disconnected, and a minute later the green cellular dots appear.

View more options
4: Newbie

That is strange that flightmode on your phone leaves Bluetooth on??? mine is definitely works I turn WiFi off on my watch to force cellular too but as you know works just fine it’s a bit random can’t believe Vodafone don’t know there ##~## from there elbow lol

View more options