Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Pixel 3xl drops calls after half hour

Jengoddard
2: Seeker

My pixel 3xl drops every call (made or received) after exactly 29 minutes and 50 seconds. I don't know if this is related to phone settings, network or what so wondered if anyone had had similar issues or knew of a fix. It's a real pain in the backside as currently working from home and means I get cut off in every conference call!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OLIVERSWWARD

Hi all, I have a Pixel 3 on Vodafone and have the same issue. I followed some advice to disable WiFi calling on my account (webpage) and on the settings on the phone. After a reboot I am now able to call > 30 mins! Hope that helps!

View solution in original position

474 REPLIES 474

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @mdc1983uk We're aware that some models of phones are experiencing this issue and it is being looked into by our tech team. They are replicating the issue in affected models, locating the issue and updating the operating system. If you pop our social team a message, we'll be able to check if we're aware of this affecting the Redmi Note 11 and keep you updated on our progress.

I'm sorry you've been advised this and we weren't more helpful @Skodaboy66, I'm aware the Sony lab tested and released a software update to resolve this issue in many Sony ZX models (including the ZX1); however only for Vodafone Network devices (purchased directly from Vodafone). If your handset was purchased through our selves and you're still unable to connect pop us a message using the link I provided earlier in this message and we'll be able to help further with this.

@Skodaboy66  Yes I'm starting to get that feeling myself already. I'll persevere with them a little longer because I've had that phone a couple of months on 4G calling without a problem so it's not something they need to fix, seems more like something to undo.

@Mark I've dropped the social team a message and they seem as useless as the phone tech support. I also never got the promised call back from them today perhaps unsurprisingly! I don't hold much hope as this is how my twitter conversation is going so far after them asking for model number and a few other bits....

Me: Purchased from http://mobiles.co.uk. This problem started between 13th and 20th June. 13th I made a call that was over 1 hour long without problem and have been since I started this contact. 20th I was cut off at 29m 50s and ever since then unable to make a longer call

Them: Thank you for the information. Request you to please reboot your phone and check it. Also, it might happen due to network issue as well. So after reboot please check and let me know. If you still faces issue then will help you with some network setting. Ankita

This is completely outrageous to be honest. I got this phone months ago and made sure all the features like 4G and WiFi calling worked because I brought from a 3rd party store. They did and I made plenty only 30+ min calls. Does it not occur to Vodafone that seen as they seem to be the only network in the country and perhaps even the world with this problem, that perhaps it's something on your end?!?

Like what happened to all the messages we used to get after the phone did a software update or put SIM in another phone. Without fail I always used to get a message saying you've updated software or swapped your SIM to another phone so we are sending some settings. I stopped getting those some time ago I think around the time this started.

Also it's a bit of a joke to expect customers to actually test whether anything gets fixed by doing reboots and stuff. You seriously expect us to spend 30 mins on a call just to check if we can? Very very shoddy

Surely a problem that manufacturers have to fix independently just for you, is more of a you problem? I don't see the problem occuring with other networks. Can you just fix whatever it is on your end and stop expecting us to wait for our manufacturers to fix it...

Hi Mark. My phone was purchased from Carphone Warehouse, so I'm stuck without 4g calling being useable, despite paying for it every month. My only option is to replace the handset. I've no intention of doing that now, but when I eventually do, I will be moving to O2, due to the appalling way this whole issue has been dealt with by Vodafone :Sad_face:  

@jamesharvey94  yeah exactly this is what I mean 🤣 I brought this phone in April and it worked fine 4G calling and all. Something breaks it in June and they are saying it's manufacturers fault and I find out it's a problem some people started with back in 2020. What a load of bull!!

I mean it could be a Android/Google problem... But just with this one network. And I haven't even had a major software update yet only the monthly security patches so.... Doubtful

@Skodaboy66  Are you sure that's even the problem? I got mine from same well a spin-off company of CPW and 4G calling worked and in fact still does it's just this stupid cut off problem. This whole thing stinks of trash tbh. I might see if I can get hold of a copy of my note 11 software as original, flash it then just not update it then I'll know. Because when it came out box it worked fine 4G WiFi calling and calls over 30 min. It's had a couple of monthly security patches that's all and mysteriously this happens

Hi. My gut feeling is that this is definitely a Vodafone network, rather than a handset problem. Other people have used different Vodafone SIM cards (borrowed for example) and the problem then went away. I tried a PAYG Vodafone SIM and 4g calls still cut off at 29:50, so it didn't work for me, though. It seems very random. I've read previously in the forums that it's to do with how the account is set up and connected to the Vodafone network, but I've no idea if that's correct. It does sound plausible, though. One customer left Vodafone, then re-joined, and the issue was resolved (using the same hanset).  Despite extensive online searches, I've not found ANY cases of this issue on any other network. I'm kind of resigned to the fact that I'm stuck using the 3g workaround for now, but I plan to move to 02 in future, partly in protest at how this issue has been handled, but also as 02 still offer free roaming in Europe. I hope you find a solution, anyway. All the best.

@Skodaboy66  yeah something very fishy about it all. Like I said my phone worked fine on 4G calling for 2 months it's clearly not a fault with the phone. Something has happened on the account and something they are yet to pinpoint.

I find it strange I no longer get messages after the phone does a software update. I find it strange they removed the option to turn on or off 4g calling on the app.

They better get sorted because this sort of thing can break the reputation of what otherwise is a decent network. I like the fact they still allow conference/merge calls and that their 800MHz 4g spectrum covers very well like the old 2g 900MHz did back in the 1990s.

If they switch off the 3g with this issue unresolved and we are all forced back onto 2g calling it's going to be very bad news. 1 that the 2g is basically insecure now and akin to running Windows xp on a pc and going online with it. And 2 the capacity of 2g just isn't there. It already is a skeleton service to run old tech like old smart meters, burglar alarms and M2M devices that haven't been upgraded.

How many of you guys having this problem have dual SIM phones with 2 SIMs running at the same time? Just something i'm working on while I have a bit of time tonight and I want to rule something out.

I know 100% that 4G/WiFi calling is working on my CarPW handset. I'm literally sitting here in a call and switching Wifi on and off. But what I have noticed is that in the advanced settings it is switching between mobile network connected/disconnected, Its totally ignoring my preference to use Wifi calls or not on Vodafone.

So example I start a call while connected to Wifi its saying mobile network is disconnected and running call through Wifi even though I have Wifi calling turned off. If I turn off the Wifi the call flips over to 4G and carries on but mobile network is connnected. Turn Wifi back off again and it goes back back to mobile network disconnected!  It's the idea of Wifi/4G calling to be seamless and was infact one of the problems with 2/3G where they couldn't handover without disconnecting the call but this is flawed.

If I turn on airplane mode then the Wifi it denys I have a signal on Voda unless I then turn on the Wifi calling. Hmmmmmmmm

Hi

New member here

I have absolutely the same issue as you are suffering

Bought a Vodafone PAYG SIM to test out whether i would receive a better signal than my current operator EE

The phone reception is greatly improved but suffer from the 29 min 50seconds cut off

I have a new Oppo Find X5

Called Vodafone -fobbed off with 'must be the phone' etc -'we have no problem with this'

I assume from reading this thread that Vodfaone are nowhere near solving the issue?

Looks like i'll be sticking with EE on WI-FI calling

Pity because Vodafone ticked every other box

I can't beleive they haven't addessed this issue in over two years