main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Android

Pixel 3xl drops calls after half hour

SOLVED
View solved solution
Mark

Apologies for the misunderstanding regarding this @neilhunter14, We'll be happy to look £87.40 charges raised on your account. As any charges for changes made to your plan would be added to your upcoming bill, the charges you received would most likely not be connected to any changes made in the last 48 hours. You can view these and download a full breakdown of your bill through the My Vodafone app. Once you've checked these, if you still feel they're incorrect, we'll need you to contact us privately via our social channels and we'll be happy to look into these charges and arrange a refund of any that are incorrect.

View more options
KirstyD85
3: Seeker

I love how quick they are to acknowledge when something has worked, yet completely ignore the point of this thread. Absolute jokers. 

I've now changed my handset as utterly ridiculous that Sony still has yet to be sorted. I'm now on pixel which has resolved the problem for me, but still not happy with how long I was without the service I was paying for.  

Vodafone... This has nothing to do with WiFi calling, new Sims, or handsets. This is your responsibility and your problem to solve. I imagine it will be quite costly too with the amount of people on here paying for a service they're not getting. 

View more options
neilhunter14
4: Newbie

@KirstyD85  -  I was thinking exactly the same. They're absolutely delighted my Spotify is back up and working and get an instant message but just have no clue about the whole point of Vodafone - Communication! Why is nothing being done? Absolutely no-one has any idea what is going on, or doing anything about it, it seems.

I wasted my whole Sunday morning in calls and on 'chat' with Vodafone with the hope of getting this resolved, but no. I'd love to hear what a solicitor would say to all of this. I have already logged a complaint with OFCOM, and I hope everyone else does too. 

I have quite frankly had enough of this. 

Neil.

View more options
KirstyD85

I've also logged a complaint with ofcom. Not that it seems to worry them at all. 

View more options
Stevenjfaulkner
2: Seeker

Someone mentioned sony handsets. I've an xz3 and this does it. Vodafone say its not a network issue. Odd that it's the same 29.50 timing.

View more options
neilhunter14

For me, if it is not a network issue then it must be a handset issue, which Vodafone have sold us via 24 month (whatever) contracts - so they are still at fault, as the handset is simply NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE as it clearly is not compatible with Vodafone (if you want to make calls longer than 29m 50s). Which ever way you look at it, Vodafone are responsible.

We are the end users, with either a network or handset issue not getting resolved.

Neil.

View more options
Stevenjfaulkner

Has it been confimred the end of march replacement has happened ? I have a Sony XZ3 , and got booted out last week - and it's now April

View more options
neilhunter14

Hi Steven,

No-one has confirmed anything. This is the problem; well, part of the problem. Firstly, calls get cut-off, but then Vodafone (a communications company) doesn't communicate any information.

I spent two hours last weekend for nothing. Absolutely promised by the Tech guy that what he did solved the problem. But no. Same issue. I've tried twice this week - I still get cut off at 29m 50s.

Neil.

View more options
Stevenjfaulkner

I've put up with this for ages, even my old Sony, so it maybe a handset manufacturer, chip type issue interacting with Vodafone. Its become a nuisance recently

having to phone and hold more often and longer. Hoping my next new (Sony) might be OK. Don't feel any loyalty to V. And their sim deal is looking expensive, but it's the roaming inclusion I need, and despite being shafted by the recent zonal and prices  changes its still the most cost effective abroad. 

View more options
Tash

Hi everyone, I wanted to let you know we're still chasing this with the dedicated team who are investigating this for us. I'd like to apologise again for the time this is taking and for any inconvenience this is causing in the meantime.

Rest assured I'm continuing to follow up with the team and once I have any further updates I'll get back to you on the thread here.

View more options
neilhunter14

@Tash

Thank you for the message, but this is making no sense to me.

On 1st February 4.36pm, you told us about the root-cause of the problem which had been identified (equipment on your network). This equipment was being removed by the end of March which would resolve the problems.

I tried several times in April and my calls still get cut-off.

Why is it now that a so-called dedicated team (so dedicated, that it is taking over a year to resolve a problem!?!) is now investigating, when several months ago you had a root-cause? I have attached a screenshot of your message.

Several people including myself have contacted OFCOM already.

The complaints procedure with Vodafone is pretty much useless, sadly and as customers we are trapped. You take our money but deliver a terrible service. I understand that every business has issues and problems, but this is utterly appalling and beyond a joke.

Even some monetary compensation would go some way to appease the situation, but I guess this isn't the way Vodafone works either.

Very sad.

Neil.

View more options
SkodaNut66

Hi Tash. Please add me to the list of people with this issue. My XZ1 Compact drops 4g calls at 29:50 exactly, and has been doing so for nearly a year. Luckily I was able to cancel my new 24 month sim only deal, and I'll be leaving Vodafone if this isn't sorted. I have spent HOURS with online chat advisers, who each assure me whatever 'solution' offered will definitely work, but it NEVER does! The latest is you sent out a new sim, which as I suspected did not work. Utterly appalling, and no sign that Vodafone has a clue how to solve it. I am using 3g calls via the my Vodafone app settings, as it's the only way to make a call longer than 29:50! 

View more options
Tash

Hi all, thanks for your ongoing patience with us and I'm sorry for the amount of time this has taken.

We've been investigating this and working on a fix - I've had an update on this today. We can now confirm we've reported a highly reduced amount of issues with calls dropping after the 29 minute 50 seconds mark as of yesterday. 

I've been advised that so long as those using Sony devices with us have the latest firmware installed, they shouldn't experience this with their calls. If the phone was purchased elsewhere, there's a chance the call made could still drop.

For anyone still experiencing issues on the latest software, please drop us a message on Social Media so we can take the following details from you securely:

- Your name and mobile number

- Model of your phone

- The software version/build number in use

- Where the phone was purchased from

- The link to your post/the thread (you then won't need to repeat your query)

I can then forward this to the team who have been working on this for us and update you from there.

View more options
neilhunter14

@Tash

I have a Sony Xperia 10. Tried calling my home phone number today, and it still cuts off.

When you say firmware, do you mean Android OS software? Where do I check and install latest firmware from?

Neil

View more options
Skodaboy66

Hi @Tash. My XZ1 Compact still drops 4g calls at 29:50! I just tried it. The phone is on the latest version of Android (9). There will be no further Android updates for this handset. It was bought new (unlocked) from carphone warehouse. I have no idea how to contact you on social media, but I'll try. Please get this sorted. At least you seem to understand the issue, which is refreshing. (There's no point me phoning Vodafone as no one has a clue).

For anyone else having this problem, and who wants to make an official compaint against Vodafone (as I am doing), CEDR/ Modria is the independent arbitration service that Vodafone is signed up to: (https://cedr.modria.com/). It's an easy process. Don't bother going to Ofcom, they won't help you. Sad it's come to this, but I've pretty much given up any hope of Vodafone ever sorting this out. This has been ongoing for well over a year, and I've spent at least 30 hours(!) of my time on pointless resets, sim card swaps - you name it, I've tried it. Truly awful:(

View more options
Stevenjfaulkner

My Sony XZ3 does the same. I've a Z10 to migrate too, but it looks like I'm going to be getting the same.

I dread being on hold as it ticks towards 29m. 

Must be some odd compatibility issue. 

Also stuck with Vodafone for the Roaming deal - and also being shafted on the Roam further changes despite the complaints last year. Their SIM deal is looking expensive otherwise, particularly as cant travel at the moment. 

View more options
Tash

Thanks for updating me here @neilhunter14 @Skodaboy66 @Stevenjfaulkner. I'm sorry to see this is still happening for you and I'm keen to make sure this is resolved for you all ASAP.

@neilhunter14 You can find if your phone has the latest software installed when sliding your two fingers downwards from the top of your screen > tap the Settings icon > hit System > tap Advanced > Press Software update. If a new version is available, this will be displayed and you can follow the instructions on screen to update.

We also have a guide which breaks this down on our dedicated device guide for Sony Xperia 10. If you find you're on the latest software available, please drop me a message with the details requested above and I can escalate this further.

@Skodaboy66 Thanks for making me aware and please do let me know if you have any queries with how to message us on social media! You can find either channel available to reach us in our Contact us for account specific queries page. We also have a page explaining how to message on Twitter/Facebook from your Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact that may help too!

Please ensure you include the details listed above along with your Community username and link to your post. This means you won't need to write out the issues you're having again and it means I can find your message to forward on your details to the dedicated team 👍 

We do also assist with complaints via social media and I'll be taking ownership of your query 🙂

@Stevenjfaulkner I understand you'll be changing your phone and I want to ensure this is resolved for you in the meantime (and should it occur on your new phone too). Please drop me a message through Facebook or Twitter with the requested details if you haven't already.

I'm keen to get this sorted for you and any of our other affected customers. I'll also be able to help with any queries you have regarding our Roaming services from there too.

View more options
donnydeadlight

I have a Sony XPERIA XZ1 (not the compact). I purchased it directly from Vodafone as part of a contract upgrade. It is running the latest version of Android available and has had all cumulative updates installed. I am still experiencing the issue, and cannot make an outbound call lasting longer than exactly 29m50s. I have no idea who your tech people are deriving there assurances from in terms of Sony handset users. And what exactly does 'highly reduced' mean? Can you give us some numbers here to indicate the scale of the issue? To be quite honest seems Vodafone just continue to make things up as it goes along - Software/hardware/settings/handset/user error when the only common denominator here is Vodafone... Utterly appalling a year on and nothing in terms of action or resolution. 

View more options
neilhunter14

@Tash  OK, so you mean the OS. I can confirm I have the latest available. I'm running Android 10 build 53.1.A.3.105

Regards,

Neil

View more options
Tash

Thanks for letting me know @donnydeadlight. I've been unable to locate a message to us from your Community username - have you since messaged into us via Facebook or Twitter? I'll be picking up the details sent over through either of those channels as it's important the team have these to resolve the issue.

The team advised me that the usage they're monitoring shows the issue has been reduced from 25% to 3% as of 16 June. I have a feeling this may be due to those affected using workarounds to make outbound calls for longer than 29 minutes and 50 seconds, so I'd like to update them to say this isn't resolved and provide the details they need.

Without the requested details I'm unable to escalate this further and I'm keen to resolve this for you all. 

@neilhunter14 Thanks for confirming for me Neil! As they've also requested for details such as your name and mobile number, please drop us a message with the above when you can on either Facebook or Twitter. As we're unable to take these details via a public forum, once we receive your message this will be flagged to me by my team. I can provide your information to the team who can investigate further so we can implement a fix, and I can keep you updated from there too.

View more options