Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure signal

slstevens
1: Seeker

Hi i am wondering if anyone can help me, I live in a rural location and cannot get any vodafone signal at my home. Both me and my partner need our phones for work so this isn't very handy! 

I purchased a sure signal assuming this would solve all my problems, however,  I have spoken to vodafone numerous time the last week and have got nowhere.  I think i need to enable port forwarding on my router so they can connect but no one at vodafone seems able / willing to tell me what these ports are? My broadband is a  plusnet router. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated, 

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@slstevens Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread, then post back your results if you’re not directed to an existing thread.

gsmsecure
12: Established
12: Established

Is your connection ADSL or Fibre?

If you're on Plus Net fibre then Vodafone have failed to inform you that this piece of badly designed 'junk' is not compatible with the provided Router and you need to purchase one that supports changing of MTU packet size.

They will not admit that this is a known common issue and refer you to the provider for support.

Try the forwarding in the mean time but if your routers MTU is fixed it is highly likely it will never work.

I warned Vodafone over Fibre compatible issues four years ago and they failed to address it and instead cover themselves with a 'works with most ISP' disclaimer leaving you up a creek without a paddle.

At the time I had issues it cost £180 for a Draytek router which was subsidised by Vodafone after I made numerous complaints.

Cheaper alternatives now available but strongly advise a high level complaint as this is a long running issue and simply down to poor design on the way it handles network protocols.

Many routers do not work as the MTU is fixed and cannot be changed.

If ADSL then port forwarding should sort it. Some later generation Fibre routers are allowing larger MTU packetsand let th through but many Alcatel and Thomson routers don't.

It is important to report all failed SureSignal V3 using the links below to:

BBC's Watchdog: https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact

Trading Standards: Call them on 0345 4 040506

Vodafone CEO: http://www.ceoemail.com -  (Search Vodafone UK)