Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

iPhone 5 Unlocking

Zachster
3: Seeker

I have just upgraded my iPhone 5, to an iPhone 6. What I want to do, is unlock the 5 handset for a family member to use. Unfortunately, when I attempt to fill in the online firm, I am unable to confirm the imei number for iPhone 5, as I a) my new phone is taking my sim and b) I can't yet put in the family members sim, due to it being a different network, meaning I can't open the imei number.

Any help on how to get this recently old handset unlocked would be most appreciated

Zachster

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Hi there

On the iPhone 5 or later, the IMEI number can be found on the back of the device near the bottom.   If you aren't able to read the number there, you will need to put your SIM back into the phone, activate it and enter *#06# on your dialer in order to get the IMEI number. 

PWIAC

View solution in original position

30 REPLIES 30

saraahalicerose
1: Seeker

I have sent two emails/ forms through vodaphone to get an unlock code and have not had any emails saying the phone has been unlocked.

This is not the original phone from the contract as it was replaced due to a fault. However i have the correct imei number so why is the phone not being unlocked?

It has been well over a month since the first form was submitted asking for the phone to be unlocked.

Waiting for unlock code

There must be an easier quicker way to do this, I phoned Apple to see if they could give me a code directly and they told me that vodafone generates its own codes- they don't get them from Apple- so I think vodafone deliberately makes this process super difficult to make transferring as painful as possible. The reason I am leaving vodafone is due to appalling customer service and this just confirms it. I now have no phone until they decide to be helpful

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

@sarahlleer wrote:
There must be an easier quicker way to do this, I phoned Apple to see if they could give me a code directly and they told me that vodafone generates its own codes- they don't get them from Apple- so I think vodafone deliberately makes this process super difficult to make transferring as painful as possible. The reason I am leaving vodafone is due to appalling customer service and this just confirms it. I now have no phone until they decide to be helpful

Apple has told you complete and utter nonsense. iPhones don't use unlock codes at all. Vodafone requests Apple to unlock the phone. To process the unlock you have to sync the iphone with iTunes with another sim card in it. The process is controlled by Apple as they have the unlockk servers under their control.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Jodielois
You need to ring and they can check all details on the phone dont let them tell you any different iv been trying for 2weeks finally sorted my detaila out regarding the issue with the imei number however phone still locked i have received an email just waiting for the nuc code hope this helps x

Jodielois
Is there no way i can speak to a person direct as this is really annoying me now, i am classified as a gold member with vodafone but i will happily stand out side each vodafone shop advising people not to use this network as they do not help there customers

I have found vodafone to be very unhelpful in this matter - they will not speak to you about it.  It took a week for vodafone to acknowledge my email in which they told me it will take another 10 working days to unlock.  i'm 8 working days into that...apparently O2 take 48 hours

I agree, would never recommend them after this fiasco with getting an unlock code

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @sarahlleer 

Here's a video on how iPhone unlocking works.

The timescales and what may cause delays are also covered in our NUC FAQ's.

If it's been more than 10 working days since we confirmed your request was successful, please come and chat to us on Live help.

Thanks,

Ben

63johnw
Hi BOB, we were just informed yesterday and the FAQ'S for unlocking have been updated to say this.