Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Am i plugging into the ONT correctly?

Iamlovinit05
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi Everyone,

I have signed up for the Superfast 2 Plan and have the activation date of today. It is still not working and therefore wanted to check if I am doing everything correctly.

I have also just moved into this apartment so am still figuring out how everything works so apologies for the stupid question!

Connecting to the ONT

I think this is the ONT that they are talking about, however there is no "Port 1" to plug in the ethernet cable. There is however, a phone line that I can plug in to the ONT (and use the microfilter to connect into the Router).

There are many other cables in this ONT but a couple of them are just connecting from 1 port of the ONT to another so I don't think they do anything?

Iamlovinit05_2-1641557734651.jpeg

The ONT is then connected to this Openreach box as per below - the green cable in the pic above is the same cable as the black cable below. 

Iamlovinit05_1-1641557660819.jpeg

Thanks and appreciate any help!

13 REPLIES 13

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @Iamlovinit05 - I understand how important it is to stay connected and I'm sorry there's been a delay with your activation. You can see more help online about getting set up with your new service. 

So we can double check everything for you, please get in touch with us via social media 👍

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

I can't help with the correct place to connect to, but I'm sure it won't be the phone socket.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Someone has had a right go at this one!

You don't need a microfilter connected to the ONT! for a start.

You should be plugging your router into the port immediately to the right of the phone port.  In your photo there is a cable connecting that port to the (empty) Battery Back Up unit!  I assume someone at some point did this just to tidy up the cables - at least you should just be able to disconnect the network cable from the socket on the far right of the box, leave the other end plugged in and connect that to your router!

Should work, but when things have be bodged like this you never know!

Hi - Thanks for your reply - which port are you taking about? 

I've taken a picture of all the ports!

Iamlovinit05_0-1641586625275.jpeg

Anonymous
Not applicable

need to wait for the picture to be moderated! Is there any chance you can upload it somewhere and share a link please?

Many thanks!!

will give this a go!

Still not working - the vodafone chat support is telling me to plug it into the other yellow LAN port in the ONT (which also doesnt work) - and to keep trying it till midnight today (as the activation date is today).

I'll report back tomorrow..

Thanks for your help

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes you unplug the end of the cable that I've indicated, the other end of which is plugged into that yellow socket which you leave in place and use.