Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Do I really need a Vodafone router !!!!

Gateway
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

My question is straightforward and simple, considering I've had "GIGAPOINT" installed, what is stopping me from connecting directly from the Gigapoint to my own router. Unfortunately, I didn't do my groundwork, the Vodafone Wi-Fi Hub installed hasn't got a "Modem Mode".

I don't need all the bells and whistles, I just want my router to have a WAN address. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Not sure what you mean by "Gigapoint", but yes you can use your own router. You will just need your username and password from Vodafone.

Live chat is the easiest way to get it. https://www.vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd/

As you are on CityFiber you may also need the VLAN which will be 911.

View solution in original position

3 REPLIES 3

Jayach

Not sure what you mean by "Gigapoint", but yes you can use your own router. You will just need your username and password from Vodafone.

Live chat is the easiest way to get it. https://www.vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd/

As you are on CityFiber you may also need the VLAN which will be 911.

Jayach

As you have seen from the other thread you posted on, you will lose the phone service. But as you suggested it may be possible to use the Vodafone router behind your own and just use it for the phone.

If you do try it could you let us know if you can get it to work. (or not).

The answer is No if you have a UDM Pro or possibly one of the earlier models, all you have to do then is request your user ID and password and obtain a VLAN. Disconnect feed to Vodafone's router and connect directly to WAN port on your own router. Connect directly into your router via IP and alter the following: Internet\WAN\IPv4 Connection and change it to PPPoE >Add user name and password, then look for VLAN ID and add (My example is 911).

The change is instant, however, I do advise a reboot once you notice your IP change from 192.168.*.* to an external address.