Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Master socket or other sockets

BOGDANSTOICA
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I have a master socket and a few other sockets throughout my flat. At the moment my router is connected to the master socket but it is pretty far away from where I have my computer setup whereas one other socket is right next to my machine. Is there any way for me to use the secondary socket instead of the master one?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Effie

Hey @BOGDANSTOICA Unless it is stated otherwise in your setup instructions, you can plug your router into any of the extension sockets around your home if the master socket is not in an ideal location. If your micro filter has separate ports for the landline and internet cables, you will need to use the micro filter that was supplied with your router in order to plug into a single port extension. 

View solution in original position

12 REPLIES 12

Cynric
16: Advanced member

Just out of curiosity, in the past we always had to think about R.E.N. values when connecting to internal extensions. Is this no-longer the case?

R.E.N. link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringer_equivalence_number

Jayach

When talking about the Vodafone router driving the extension sockets, no maximum has been stated. (AFAIK)

Obviously if the ring on the phones is not working properly, then try reducing the number of phones connected to see if it improves.

It will definitely not be a requirement by the telecoms operator as it was before. 

CrimsonLiar

I think REN went out of the window when the dedicated "Bell" line went.

As to Living above a telephone exchange, there were a couple of floors below us until you got to the exchange.  I don't know about the RFI, but the heat was really something.  And the one time we had a line fault and the CS rep would not believe the line length from the exchange to our flat was just 40 metres - she insisted that had to be the fault!  Hmm, 20Mbps ADSL or there about I seem to remember!