Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Upload slower than advertised

Mdv00
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

i have been with vodafone broadband for a week, when i signed up for superfast 2 the deal said the upload would be 18mbps but im only getting 8mbps. download is 52mbps and should be around 60mbps.

tested on speedtest.net

8 REPLIES 8

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi There @Mdv00, Your speed will fluctuate within the first 10 days of your service, whilst your line is finding the highest speeds available on a stable connection. This happens with all providers that use the Open Reach service. After the 10 days, if you don't have a strong stable connection with your guaranteed speeds, pop us another message here or through our social channels and we'll be happy to take a closer look 🔎

Jayach
16: Advanced member

To be honest, if your line hasn't stabilised in a week, it's unlikely to do so in the next couple of days.

Please show us your line stats as speedtest results aren't particularly helpful.

Like this:

Line Quality

Downstream Upstream
Current Rate79999 kbps20000 kbps
Maximum Rate82933 kbps27716 kbps
Signal-to-Noise Ratio4.3 dB10.6 dB
AttenuationDS1 9.2 dB, DS2 22.5 dB, DS3 35.1 dBUS0 2.0 dB, US1 15.5 dB, US2 25.3 dB
Power12.8 dBm4.6 dBm
CRC Errors in last 9400 minute(s)12458

Screenshot 2021-09-21 at 14-55-53 DSL Status.png

Jayach

Looking at those figures you are not likely to get anymore line speeds.

Have you tried with the router connected into the test socket? You may not get an immediate increase in speed, but you would be hoping for a higher SNR.

What does the BT checker say your line should be capable of? BT Broadband (btwholesale.com)

bt checker

Screenshot 2021-09-21 at 15-45-13 BT Broadband.png

Jayach

Well the BT checker confirms you should expect higher connection speeds.

Were you previously on another providers FTTC at your location? If so what speeds did you have with them?

The next thing that needs to be done is to try it in the test socket to eliminate any possibility that your internal wiring (should you have any) isn't the cause of the slow speeds.

Edit: You're not using a extension cable on the router are you?

i have been with bt and got 80mbps down and 20mbps up. the past year i was with ee on a slower connection, 35mbps down and 10mbps up, i have just changed the adsl cable and the speed has increased a bit:

Screenshot 2021-09-21 at 15-48-10 DSL Status.png

Jayach

Interestingly the BT checker shows you were getting 66 down and 9 up on the 28th May so that would have been prior to Vodafone. There is definitely something going on. Have you tried the test socket?