Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Xbox Series X wired connection issue

JosephA12
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi, hoping someone could help.

Since switching to Vodaphone I have been experiencing issues with my Xbox connecting to the the network via a wired connection. What I find is sometimes if I restart the Xbox enough, it pics up the wired connection.

What I have tried (on the Xbox):

Reset MAC - same issue

NAT Type set to open which is correct

Did a factory reset of the Xbox - same issueHowever when I connected the Xbox to the Wi-Fi - works fine

What I tried on the router;

Power cycle - same issue

Manually added DNS (8.8.8.8) - same issue

Changed Ethernet cable - same issue

Other devices connected via a Ethernet cable work fine.

At the point I don’t believe this is a Xbox issue but an issue with the router or broadband. Is there something that maybe stopping/making the wired connection intermittent as I’m not sure what else to do.

As I said I had no issues when on Virgin using a wired Ethernet connection.

428 REPLIES 428

So, just to add, I've still not got the firmware update either....

Checked through all the forum and seen someone mention using a switch. Turns out I had a tp-link gigabit desktop switch from when I had an old sky router (it only had 2 ethernet ports)

Plugged it in, Xbox series X into it.....

So far I've had a number of consistent re-starts and it's connecting fine every time 😁

I know we shouldn't have to, but you can get them for about £10 as this Firmware doesn't seem to be rolled out as expected 

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@IIISTEVEOIII The switch definitely resolves the problem, lets just hope that when the firmware update arrives. it will negate the need for the switch.

Looks like I got the firmware update overnight and initial tests seems like it’s working 👍

It’s a miracle 

ZinGeRs
12: Established

What is the firmware version?

Current firmware version
19.4.0551-3269046

the twitter support got tech support to force push the update to my router it seems. 

ZinGeRs

Must have because mine is not that version

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm glad to hear you've all started receiving the update and it's resolving the issue with your connections.

If you've not received the update over the next few days @ZinGeRs, pop our social team a message and we'll see if we can get this pushed for you too.

@Mark @Gemma 

We might not be across the line yet. 
The Xbox series X shows no internet connection when it is switched on from energy saving. I need to click restart on it and when I do this it picks up the connection 

so half way there but not fully sorted. 

Unfortunately I can confirm that we aren’t quite over the line even though it has definitely improved. 

switching on the console after say 24hours not using it does not wake up the Ethernet port. The console is in energy saving mode and only activates the ether net port when you click the Xbox button and select restart.