cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

FTTP 900 Line Slow Upload (and download)

bounderboy
4: Newbie

After having a FTTC line 80:20 for years with Vodafone and getting pretty much full speed i recentley had chance to switch to Full Fibre which i did and initially chose 100 package.  I was greedy and have moved to 900 package as Upload is important to me with uploading video for business..  

When on 100 package i was getting around 18/19 upload - same as FTTC..  But when I have upgrade to 900 package i am now getting only 12.  It is very strange..  Been through support and asking me to send pictures morning, noon and night and feel I am getting into fobbing off territory.  I am using there standard THG3000 hub.  I am testing using Ethernet..  

The download isn't great either at 300-400 but I am assuming both are linked somehow.  But it is Upload I am most upset with. 

I saw someone on another thread ask for Troute to bbc.com - so did that in case it helps...  Anyone have any ideas.. 

Thanks 

Tracing route to bbc.com [151.101.***.*1]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 2 ms 3 ms 2 ms vodafone.broadband [192.168.1.1]
2 9 ms 7 ms 7 ms host-212-158-250-39.dslgb.com [212.158.250.39]
3 * * 8 ms 63.130.172.35
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 10 ms 6 ms 13 ms 151.101.192.81

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Well I think you have proven that it's a configuration being sent to the THG3000 that is causing the loss of upload speed.

When you get the new router, I suspect it will probably work O.K. as I believe the config file is tied to the serial number of the router. (it seems to work that way on FTTC, may be different on FTTP)

It will be interesting to see the result of using a different THG3000.

View solution in original position

72 REPLIES 72

If only they were logical and straightforward in their thinking as you 🙂 

georgebenzy
1: Seeker

It's frustrating to experience slower upload speeds after upgrading to a 900 Mbps package. There could be various factors causing this issue. It's good that you've reached out to support, and sharing [Removed] traceroute results can help diagnose network issues. They might need some time to analyze the data. Hopefully, they can resolve it for you soon.

[MOD EDIT: This post has been edited to remove inappropriate content please see Community Guidelines]

Ripshod

Spam! Reported 😉

bounderboy

Well - on dynamic ip and no change :-(.   

this is gonna be some battle !    Not sure what I can do now other than say it’s wrong constantly or just switch back to a 100 fibre line and save money 

Ripshod

Remember it took a few weeks for the gateway to change for me. As with anything vodafone it won't be instant. 

Ahh ok...  had forgotten that...... i am fed up with talking the same thing.. They are offering to send out an openreach engineer.. which I have refused as I am pretty sure that would be waste of time ...  

Only thing is I would be out of my 14 day period to move to a lower speed and save the money

Ripshod

I'll no advise anything in that case. The choice whether to continue or drop back is totally up to you.

An openreach engineer would be able to tell you if there's a fault with your service, or with the router. There's a good chance you could get what you ordered. 

bounderboy

Ok - got a bit silly tonight..  Another call at 6pm lasting for an hour.

They connected and said they can see i have an Amazon Device and Ring Device using bandwith and perhaps should turn them off..  Just silly stuff really. and a little bit creepy.. probably next thing is to report me to FACT for watching a dodgy footie stream next...  

Also had me connect to camera on my phone and show speedtests and had me change to use all four ports of router and do a speedtest..  which i did but was a little pointless 

Then asked what cable i was using which is Cat5E - they said I should use CAT6.. which i know is better but i am postive it isn't slowing my upload at all.  If i had 1gb plus speeds on upload i understand i might see some small drops...  but nothing in this range..  

sigh

Ripshod

Just goes to prove that customer service is only as good as the agents employed, and the scripts they read through. 

They are in another country so I guess we just have to make allowances, no matter how frustrating.

CAT6? That's ridiculous. 

Sigh indeed - just had an Openreach appointment through for Thursday - didn’t mention they were doing that