Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Porting landline from TalkTalk

ukmark
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

It appears that there are several reported issues of not being able to keep your existing landline number when joining Vodafone broadband. I currently have an order to be joining VF on 16 Sept 2022. When filling in the form I could not choose "keep existing landline". I have lived at same address over 40 years and had same landline over 40 years. I can't understand why porting is such a hassle.

I spoke to an adviser and he said to request a new landline number (in order for me to complete the online form to request 24 months broadband contract). He said, that they would try to keep the landline when switching. TalkTalk have acknowledged my request to leave. They want me to stay (obviously) and although landline numbers are not as important as they once were, it would still be a big inconvenience to go through all your online accounts and phone book etc to change/notify the new landline.

Could somebody from Vodafone please explain why it seems so difficult to preserve your existing number? Who can I contact from VF before the switch to request that my existing landline number is preserved. I do have an order # from VF and that is [Removed].

Hopefully someone will respond. Thanks to all.

[MOD EDIT: This post has been edited to remove personal information please see Community Guidelines]

37 REPLIES 37

Beth
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @ukmark! There a few reasons we wouldn't be able to guarantee you can keep your landline number. If you were moving home to an entire new area, this would require a new number as the area code would be different. If you are upgrading with us to a different type of connection, this would require a new landline number as we're unable to port numbers from Vodafone to Vodafone, and finally it's up to the company that currently holds the number as to whether or not they release this to us when you move providers. I hope this helps 🙂

Hi Beth.

I have had the exact same issue as Ukmark. I undertook the new contract process on the Vodafone website, and when it came to 'do you wish to keep your existing number', I replied 'yes'. It then returned the same message as above - 'can't do this... might be because the number and address don't tally (nope - they do), or because you have moved to a different area code (nope - same addy for 20+ years)'.

A 'Chat' with Voda promised they would be able to transfer it, and to just go ahead and accept a new number meanwhile. This I did, and when I finally got into my new account a few days after the transfer date, I find I've been given a new number...

TalkTalk had already confirmed that the transfer to Voda included my home number.

A further 'Chat' with Voda yesterday gave a further assurance that they'd sort this, and I'm still hopeful that they will.

Like Ukmark, tho', I'd just love to know WHY there is this issue! There just shouldn't be - both ISPs use BT OpenReach. Why on earth do we have to carry out long waits and chats to try and sort out something that shouldn't need sorting?!

Sigh... It's just such a poor introduction to life with a new ISP. An explanation would really help - it is always good to understand the reason. Any chance of this?

Worse, this has gone pear-shaped. Not only has Voda failed to transfer my old number - as they promised to on a number of occasions - but instead of getting a 'This number is not receiving calls' message when you call it, it is now just 'dead'.

No idea what happened on the 30th where it seemed to be working ok - fair chance the transfer from TT hadn't actually happened! But, new Voda router was plugged in, and is working fine. Phone working fi...

Now it's gone, and I'm on a new number.

'Chatted' with Voda a few times as they claim to be sorting this, but it's been a 'mare, and they are asking things like "Did I ask TT to transfer the number...?", whilst in the next line claiming it's all in hand and "not to worry."

Staggering incompetence, and obviously feeling buyer's remorse.

They have given me so many promises that they'd sort it - all recorded, thankfully - that I'm now going to escalate the matter.

I'll keep this updated. Sheeeesh.

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Shooby - I'm sorry to hear that this is still ongoing and your landline is no longer connected. So that my team can check what's happening, please reach out to us through Social Media

Thanks, Gemma.

But will that be any different to the numerous long chats I've had with reps on your site, from before I made the move, and after, and including one that was 'escalated' up to a manager?

So that folk are in no doubt, I made it clear to Vodafone before I completed the transfer application, that it was important for me to keep my landline number; "I cannot continue with the transfer with the risk that I'd lose my old number - I'd need a guarantee that this wouldn't happen.

These are some of the guarantees I was given in reply:

"However if in case porting the line was unsuccessful while placing the order, we will contact the Openreach team manually from our end to port in the number after the account activation”.

“please rest assured we will port in the old number once the broadband got activated.”,

Yes it will surely work. Once the broadband gets activated, we will manually port in the number from our end”,

Please don’t worry about that at all, we will raise request for you, it will be changed:)

I have successfully raised the request for you, team will update this on you within 48 hours, be assured about this.”

Its sorted for you:), do not worry at all.

And now that I have actually moved to Vodafone, it's "BT says 'no'".  No explanation. Apologies, yes, but without an explanation I find that pretty meaningless.

I have been offered £40 in compensation, or I still have ONE day in which to leave without penalty, as per their normal cooling-off period of 14 days (This is despite Vodafone asking me to give them until the 7th to sort this.)

Neither of these is what I'm after - I'd just dearly love my old landline number, please, as I was promised.

That 'number' is still 'out there'! No-one has bagged it yet! I simply do not find it plausible that this is beyond Voda's or BT's technology! It isn't. I cannot be.

Someone just needs to make the effort - that is all.

Man, am I sorry I moved.

I have been informed that the correct procedure now is to first make a formal complaint to Vodafone and, if the matter isn't resolved, to escalate it to CISAS.

I'll be doing that this evening.

If this ever gets out into a much wider audience, it would certainly be hugely embarrassing for VF,

Your phone number (landline or mobile) should be yours for life if you so wish it. Easy-peasy.

Formal complaint submitted.

I fear by the time that Vodafone reply to it, the chances of me getting my number back will be even less likely.

Typical issue last night; tried to renew my house insurance, paid for by credit card, CC provider asked for two-stage security using - yes - my old number.

Grrr.

I just know that Voda could do this if they could be bothered. I know they could. There can simply be no way they cannot. This is not magical stuff - this is a standard technical glitch with a simple technical answer. Openreach 'have' this number available. All it needs is for someone from Vodafone to give a damn about sorting it.

But it looks as tho' they are going to put a new customer through the whole boring, tedious, time-wasting gamut of complaint, complaint, escalate, escalate... If they spent 2% of the time on this that I already have, I suspect it would be sorted. Lawdie, it's pathetic.

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

As far as using a phone number as your 2nd factor security option works fine if you use a mobile number (I've just swapped from Lebara to Lyca) but landline seems problematical.

I've no know idea why it doesn't work as well on landline as it does on mobile,