cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Upgrade to fibre cancelled my default landline phone number conceal - how do I reactivate it?

ojos
4: Newbie

I have had Vodafone broadband for several years. This includes a landline phone for making & receiving calls. As a feature on my landline by default I concealed my number when making outgoing calls. A few weeks ago my broadband was upgraded to fibre. This meant I lost access to my cabled landline phones I am now having to attach my landline phone directly to router.

However, since this change, my landline number is now shown on outgoing calls. How can I reactivate the default number conceal on my outgoing calls?

19 REPLIES 19

Regarding my request to have my landline number Withheld when I make a call, I have just received an email from Vodafone saying the following:

Account number: xxxxxxxxxx

Thank you for adding Permanent Number Conceal to 44xxxxxxxxxx. (my landline number)

So, contrary to what others have said in this thread, this suggests to me that within 24 hours my landline number will be Withheld

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@ojos wrote:

So, contrary to what others have said in this thread, this suggests to me that within 24 hours my landline number will be Withheld

Do let us know if it does happen, I have my doubts, but will be happily surprised if it does.

@Jayach wrote:

@ojos wrote:

Do let us know if it does happen, I have my doubts, but will be happily surprised if it does.

No it didn't happen. However in the months since then. I have repeatedly been advised that permanent number conceal has been activated for my landline number. The messages always say exactly the same (Note I have xxxx'd out my personal details) as follows:

Hello,
Account number: xxxxxxxx
Thank you for adding Permanent Number Conceal to 44xxxxxxxxx
Just to confirm, there'll be a charge for this of £0.00 (including VAT) on your monthly bill.
Need any help?
If you need to get in touch, please call us free on 08080 034515 from any landline or mobile, or on 191 from your
Vodafone mobile.

Whenever I call Vodafone for further information they keep telling me that, while at present Permanent Number Conceal doesn't yet work, it should be fixed in future. Unfortunately they cannot (or will not) give me an idea of the date the service will be activated, Since Vodafone landline works through BT's technology, does anyone know if Permanent Number Conceal works for BT customers? Someone has suggested Vodafone probably merely has to ask Openreach to request BT to activate Permanent Number Conceal at the BT exchange for the number conceal to be activated.

Cynric

In the last price guide the number conceal feature is indeed Free. There is a footnote that states that Full Fibre does not have this feature.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/priceguide this link downloads a pdf.

@Cynric wrote:

In the last price guide the number conceal feature is indeed Free. There is a footnote that states that Full Fibre does not have this feature.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/priceguide this link downloads a pdf.

Thanks for the download link. But the *Not available on our full fibre broadband plans is nonsense when Vodafone continue to send me notifications time after time after time saying:

Thank you for adding Permanent Number Conceal to 441462700363.
Just to confirm, there'll be a charge for this of £0.00 (including VAT) on your monthly bill.

That statement tells me they have activated the feature as part of my contract with them. Why do Vodafone keep telling me this lie?

Ripshod

Digital voice is what vodafone call their new phone service. Normal people call it VOIP. 

Call features are those thing we've taken for granted these past few decades. Things like voicemail, call forwarding, call waiting, number withholding etc etc etc. They're currently dead right now on digital voice.

You can contact vodafone and order any of the services and a lot of the agents will take the order and advise of a charge, but you'll never get the service. 

Jayach

@ojos wrote:

I just have a "landline" which is the terminology I use when I make a call from my landline phone?

They may still use the terminology, but you no longer have a copper line for your telephone.

It in now just another device on your LAN, and is using VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) to connect to the telephone service. In other words, it's digital.

Cynric

@ojos  It could be that VF are intending to launch it nationwide but have not rolled it out over all of their network and you are in their test area. Likewise it could just been a documentation snafu.

@Cynric wrote:

@ojos  It could be that VF are intending to launch it nationwide but have not rolled it out over all of their network and you are in their test area. Likewise it could just been a documentation snafu.

The way Vodafone is dealing with this issue is absolutely bizarre:
1 Firstly, all the tech support people I have spoken to appear to be totally unaware of the current lack to me of the
Permanent Number Conceal.
feature. Month after month I have raised the matter with them and they apologised saying they will set it up for me within around 24 hours. They then send me the formal notifications by email that the feature has been added, but yet it never has. Why don't these useless staff who created the
Not available on our full fibre broadband plans  note
get off their backsides and inform the team who continue to send me these
Thank you for adding Permanent Number Conceal to ...
messages? I raised my formal complaint around 18 July and the formal response was that currently the feature is not available but it is being worked on and may be there in future. Yet they are evidently too lazy to inform what the actual situation is to those members of staff who are responsible for switching the feature on for customers.

2  I got so frustrated with Vodafone's appalling way of not dealing properly with my complaint and ignoring my comments that on 9 October I referred the matter to CISAS who raised a formal Case on the matter. Vodafone's first response was a complete pack of lies saying that my CISAS Case was invalid as I had already agreed to their resolution. CISAS dismissed Vodafone's fake suggestion and told them to produce a proper response.

3 While all the above was going on (and the matter was in the hands of CISAS) Vodafone sent me yet a further formal notification that the feature had been activated with the usual:
Thank you for adding Permanent Number Conceal to ...
notification. It's quite clear to me that Vodafone are playing a dirty game of deliberately being vague to both customers and staff as to the actual situation in respect of the Permanent Number Conceal feature. Is this feature ever going to be implemented for fibre customers, yes or no? Are Vodafone's lies ever going to be put right?

Jayach

@ojos wrote:
It's quite clear to me that Vodafone are playing a dirty game of deliberately being vague to both customers and staff as to the actual situation in respect of the Permanent Number Conceal feature. Is this feature ever going to be implemented for fibre customers, yes or no? Are Vodafone's lies ever going to be put right?

@ojos 

As on your other thread. Upggrade to fibre broadband has caused loss of my ... - Community home (vodafone.co.uk) you need to take what Vodafone tell you over the phone with a very large "pinch of salt".

The posters on here here can tell you how thing work presently, but there is no way we know what Vodafone may, or may not, do in the future.