Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Full 4G but no Internet

Noodle86stu
3: Seeker

For a few weeks now I've had no Internet connection when connected to just my data. I've never had this before in my house. 

The signal in the area is good, DH6 Durham, and I've contacted Vodafone and they recommend a new SIM. I am still having an issue. 

Why, all of a sudden could I be in a 4G black spot? 

24 REPLIES 24

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @Noodle86stu 

Most probably the phone has temporarily lost it's internet connection, try updating the SIM on the network.  This is completed by doing a manual roam from your connection settings, settings, mobile network, network scan, select any other network, wait for the phone to reject the request and reselect Vodafone, follow this with  reboot. 

This will update the SIM and refresh the settings on the network.

Further information from device guides here: Device Guides 

If you continue to have problems follow this link and provide an example of the issue by copying and pasting the results back from the pro forma Network Issues 

@AnnS wrote:

Hi @Noodle86stu 

Most probably the phone has temporarily lost it's internet connection, try updating the SIM on the network.  This is completed by doing a manual roam from your connection settings, settings, mobile network, network scan, select any other network, wait for the phone to reject the request and reselect Vodafone, follow this with  reboot. 

This will update the SIM and refresh the settings on the network.

Further information from device guides here: Device Guides 

If you continue to have problems follow this link and provide an example of the issue by copying and pasting the results back from the pro forma Network Issues 

Post Title: DH6 Durham

1) Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service?

This is only an issue in my house. I haven't had this issue previously. 

2) What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs? If you don't want this showing on the Community, add it to your profile here.

DH6 5EW

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone?

Yes

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?

'no Internet connection' when loading a Web page. 

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all?

I can gain access on 3G/2G bit no higher.    

6) When did you first notice this issue?

Pre Christmas 

7) Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs?

Permanently in the house. 

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

I've taken a look into the service offered in your area @Noodle86stu and we do offer a strong 4G service in your area. The mast serving you is working as expected and has experienced no recent outages. Is the issue you're experiencing only happen when indoors at your address? Are you able to connect whilst outdoors and have there been any recent changes to the landscape around your property?

Hello Mark. There's been no obvious changes to the landscape. I can get 4G outdoors and only 3G indoors. The 3G is remarkably fast considering. However, if I switch to 5G/4G/3G/2G Auto, I still get no connection.

This means I'll have to swap to 5/4G when I leave the house. 

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

We currently don't offer a 5G service in your postcode @Noodle86stu, we do, as I mentioned previously offer a strong 4G network and there doesn't appear to be any reason to believe this isn't performing as expected. To allow us to take a closer look into this issue and raise a case with our Network team, pop us message through one of our social profiles. When you reach out to us, please include a link to this thread and your Community user name as this will help avoid you having to repeat yourself.

RMH

Great to hear that someone has been having the same issues as me! Signal checker on Vodafone website says no issues, but there clearly is.

I can't call out or use the internet on my phone when connected to 4G, even though it says I have a signal.

I have been with Vodafone for 11 years, lived in the same DH6 house the whole time and never had any issues. I think the problems started occurring after storm Arwen.

As someone who commutes home from Newcastle every weekday, it is clear that something is wrong as you approach the Bowburn (J61) roundabout and come off the motorway; I have had calls cut out/go digital and streamed music stop.

The only thing I have found sometimes resolves the issue is restarting my phone.

However, after a while, the issue starts again.

This issue really needs resolving or I'll be looking for another provider.

Additional info, as required:

1) Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service?

In and around the Bowburn (DH6) area, off J61 of the A1(M)

2) What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs? 

DH6 5EE

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone?

Yes

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?

'no Internet connection' when loading a web page, failure to make calls

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all?

All

6) When did you first notice this issue?

Since late November/early December 2021 (after storm Arwen)

7) Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs?

Permanent 

I'm glad this isn't just me. I've been asked the same questions by the social media team too. It's got too be a mast issue surely. 

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi there @RMH - Thank you for completing our network initial checks, I understand how important it is to have a stable connection, especially now.

I've taken a look at the postcode provided and the coverage is patchy for 4G. I've also taken a look at the specific mast you connect to (No. 4082) and there are no known issues. This suggests the issues you’re experiencing are due to general coverage rather than a network fault.

If you've got Wi-Fi connection at home, you can use Wi-Fi calling and texting to keep in contact with people if you’re in an area with poor coverage. For more information on Wi-Fi Calling and how to set it up: https://vodafone.uk/WiFiCalling

We’re always looking to improve our coverage across the UK and you can monitor any planned improvements or maintenance in your postcode through our Network Status Checker.